Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 03:32 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so then tell us oh great and wise one, which of the 22,000 gun laws on the books across the country has ever stopped a gun crime? did a criminal ever say, oh wait i am not allowed to own a firearm, so i guess robbing that 7/11 is out.

which of the potential mass shooters said, well i guess i cant shoot up that school, as i cant own a firearm.

and this current shooter was refused a firearm because he FAILED a background check, yet he still went out and got a firearm. so what law would have prevented that?

why is it that when someone commits such an evil crime that the gun gets blamed and not the person pulling the trigger?
Because, yet more and more gun laws are NOT about reducing crime and violence. They are about control of the law abiding, and a dependent, defenseless populace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 03:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because, yet more and more gun laws are NOT about reducing crime and violence. They are about control of the law abiding, and a dependent, defenseless populace.

yep, i get that, but the gun grabbers either dont get it, or dont care. they want to be slaves like the rest of the run of the mill progressives do.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:44 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
at the time of the revolution common soldiers were looked down on often avoiding jail-time by enlistment..only officers were part of the cultured class...this may be a reason the founders wanted common citizens to be ready

Old 09-04-2019, 04:36 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So you want a specific, by name only, semi auto mag fed rifle banned because it has been used in a very small percentage of "rampage" shootings....okay, I don't understand it, but it must make sense to you.
Why now though ? This particular rifle has been available to the public , with less restrictions, since the mid 60's. Why now though, is it the flavor of the week ? Why now , basically since Colombine, are we seeing these types of attacks ? Your logic leads towards the firearm, mine leads towards something we've done as a society that leads a certain demographic to do these things. I'd like to see a stop to it, and the only way to solve a problem is by addressing the root cause. Banning anything is not addressing the root cause. All you want to do is go after those of us that have done nothing. It makes no sense.
Like I indicated, not the only rifle to be banned. Do you think the firepower today is the same as the 1960's.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:41 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Texas shooter failed the background check to get gun legally so went to a private seller where he didn't have to pass a background check. Seems to me like this hole needs to be plugged.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...heck/23806445/
I agree and whoever sold the weapon should be sued in civil court.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:44 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so then tell us oh great and wise one, which of the 22,000 gun laws on the books across the country has ever stopped a gun crime? did a criminal ever say, oh wait i am not allowed to own a firearm, so i guess robbing that 7/11 is out.

which of the potential mass shooters said, well i guess i cant shoot up that school, as i cant own a firearm.

and this current shooter was refused a firearm because he FAILED a background check, yet he still went out and got a firearm. so what law would have prevented that?

why is it that when someone commits such an evil crime that the gun gets blamed and not the person pulling the trigger?
Back ground checks do in fact prevent felons from acquiring guns, pretty much the only significant law at the federal level other than specialty restrictions on certain weapons. This crime may have very well been prevented if there were in fact universal background checks, the way it stands now the seller can claim he had no reason to believe the buyer had a problem. The way the law stands now the seller may not be liable for anything, background checks just for commercial sales makes no rational sense.

We don't have 22,000 national gun laws, maybe you can list some of the more significant. Name a few of all the restrictive laws in a place like Georgia where you can walk into a bait and tackle shop and walk out with an AR-15 and bring it to an airport. If Dylan Roof was required to wait longer than 72 hours for a background check those people in Charleston might still be alive.

Name all those federal laws that are significant, with 22,000 it should be easy.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:58 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
What a perverted nation we live in where people think it should be a fundamental right to have access to high capacity weapons that are intended to end multiple lives in short time.
I guess if you want to look at it that way you can.

However why not consider that your understanding on the Constitution might not be what the people who wrote and ratified it, meant it to be. After all, they would know better than most people combined. Especially those who do not study the origins of the Constitution.

In reality the FF's would have wanted the citizens to have the best firearms possible to thwart any potential government run amok.
So in theory instead of the semantics of so called "assault weapons" vs. semi-auto rifles, all law abiding citizens would be able to have real assault firearms (i.e. full auto) in the event citizens need to protect our republic against a tyrannical dictator or government.

`

Old 09-04-2019, 05:22 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I agree and whoever sold the weapon should be sued in civil court.
You know how some people (private sellers) get around the pot laws for selling in Colorado? Oh, they don't sell. They sometimes just get a donation/ gift. wink wink.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:40 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
Many states already have a mandatory background check law, which does not have a private sale or gun show loophole. Unfortunately many of these same states still have plenty of crime because the same liberal system that wants to control guns ever so tightly also gently hand slaps the criminals and tosses them back on the street. Most guns used in crimes (robbery, home invasion) in my area wind up being stolen, the last several murders were actually via stabbing or strangling.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:54 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
This wouldn't have happened here in Washington State. We used to allow the 'private' gun sales, but in 2014 voters passed I-594 to require background checks on all gun sales. It has been very effective, and would have stopped this TX shooter in his tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies