Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 01:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Background checks have in fact prevented felons from getting guns. Perfectly effective no but what law is, maybe you have an example. So you are for private sales getting a pass, why.

only from LEGAL gun dealers. but the law isnt effective since there are black market guns available on many street corners in the country. as for private parties doing background checks, i have no opinion one way or the other. but unscrupulous people will still sell firearms to criminals, background check requirement or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 05:12 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let's see.

20 rounds on a -15 for the taking out a rifle squad scenario (11 men). First shot you get to aim and take your time because they don't know you are there, so take out the squad leader, but after that, they scatter and take cover. You might be able to get 1, 2 more before they are under cover. Let's say you see where each one takes cover, an optimal situation, so then it is a matter of waiting for each one to break cover and shooting him in that second. Assuming, of course, that they don't discover your location or see you as you come up to take a shot.

20 rounds on an M-16 on full auto: Ambush, lay down lead as they scatter before they take cover, probably beat feet out of there to assume the next ambush position.
I asked you the fire rate difference for 20 rounds.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
So what you are saying is that these firearms are in common use for lawful purposes and are the type of weapon that would be brought from homes if the civilian militia were to be called up.................... Got it.
Who is the organized militia that would be called up.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:15 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
I asked you the fire rate difference for 20 rounds.

And I told you. You said there wasn't much of a difference between auto and semi auto and I illustrated that between the two, you have to use different tactics. You can't take out all the targets at once with a -15 because the rate of fire is slower.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:17 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
There is lots of illegal criminal activities that need to be stopped.
We can start with this one.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The only felons who are prevented from obtaining a firearm by background checks are the ones who are the currently law abiding free citizens with former felony convictions, or the currently incarcerated or on parole.

Anyone with a felony conviction who wants a firearm to do harm to others can get one if they want.

Background checks do NOTHING but keep free citizens from exercising their 2nd amendment rights.

Thousands are refused gun ownership through background checks each year. How does a background check keep any legitimate owner from owning a gun.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And I told you. You said there wasn't much of a difference between auto and semi auto and I illustrated that between the two, you have to use different tactics. You can't take out all the targets at once with a -15 because the rate of fire is slower.
I didn't ask you about tactics I asked you specifically for the difference in fire rate for 20 rounds.

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-05-2019 at 05:48 PM..

Old 09-05-2019, 05:29 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Thousands are refused gun ownership through background checks each year. How does a background check keep any legitimate owner from owning a gun.
False positives,had one happen to me. Do you know all the criteria that are looked at when when a NICS check is done? You dont, no one does. You can only file an appeal and hope the boneheads realize their mistake and reverse the denial. So thank god for sales "off the books".
Who do you think does the backround checks? Someone with unimpeachable character because thats who works in govt...lol @ that

Old 09-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
False positives,had one happen to me. Do you know all the criteria that are looked at when when a NICS check is done? You dont, no one does. You can only file an appeal and hope the boneheads realize their mistake and reverse the denial. So thank god for sales "off the books".
Who do you think does the backround checks? Someone with unimpeachable character because thats who works in govt...lol @ that
I'm sure there are mistakes in any bureaucracy but you are pointing out the exception not the rule and in your case it was resolved. They do not in general prevent gun ownership from valid applicants.

Thank god for sales off the books, like in the recent shooting.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
They need to close the loophole, many gun owners are for closing this loophole.

Kind of hard to do without making it overly complicated, thus people innocently getting caught up in "breaking" the law, or making absurdly costly.

Plus how to deal with loaning someone a gun, or sharing while hunting, inheritance, etc.

Maybe a federal firearms card? Exemptions that cover some of the above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies