Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 08:41 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,993,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Meanwhile deniers do nothing to address the climate crises, choosing to stick their heads in the sand.
I would like to see the Democrat Governors....TOMORROW immediately lower the speed limit on highways in their states to 55 MPH. 30% reduction in CO2 emissions....right away. Over 70% of the transportation emissions are in blue states.

They have the authority to do it. NO TRUMP approval, NO Legislative approval, just a order dropping the speed limit to 55 MPH.

IF the Democrat governors do this.....TOMORROW, I will believe climate change is for real. Then we can move on to limiting air travel. That they will need President Trumps help.

Did anybody mention 55 MPH during the climate debates??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 08:51 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,262,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I would like to see the Democrat Governors....TOMORROW immediately lower the speed limit on highways in their states to 55 MPH. 30% reduction in CO2 emissions....right away. Over 70% of the transportation emissions are in blue states.

They have the authority to do it. NO TRUMP approval, NO Legislative approval, just a order dropping the speed limit to 55 MPH.

IF the Democrat governors do this.....TOMORROW, I will believe climate change is for real. Then we can move on to limiting air travel. That they will need President Trumps help.

Did anybody mention 55 MPH during the climate debates??
I don’t understand why you need to believe something is real based on what politicians do? Just read the latest research on climate science! Scientific evidence doesn’t take political sides. It just is what it is.

When will Republican bring forth solutions and action? If Democrats are hypocrites, step up and show them!

Old 09-05-2019, 09:16 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
"The science is settled on climate change."

No, it's not. Not even close!

The only FACT that has been established is that Authoritarian types of zealots like YOU are only interested in CONTROL of others!

No thanks!

No Thanks? Really? I ask, what data, facts, and findings are you basing your "opinion" on? Let's see it.

How about acknowledging that you nor I are scientists and are therefore compelled to rely upon data, facts, and findings of highly educated scientists who've come to an overwhelming conclusion regarding climate change?

NASA states that 97% of scientists agree that humans are causing global warming and climate change (see link below).

https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/17/do-s...limate-change/

Tell me, if science and 97% of the scientific community point to humans as being the cause of global warming and climate change, why not err on the side of caution for our sake and the sake of our off-springs?

How about placing politics aside and embracing science for a change? Is that too much of an unreachable goal?

Let's get a grip on reality pal! Humans are causing climate change, thus sayeth 97% of the scientific community. What's there to lose? A coal fired plant? Please say yes!

If you say yes, I will ask, "have you ever in your life worked with anything from anthracite to bituminous coal? Bet you haven't. Guess what? I HAVE! And guess what? It's the filthiest, most process intensive fuel I've ever worked with in my 34 years in the power generation industry! Coal will soon be read about in history books. Why? Because it is one of the most egregious sources of NOx, SOx, and CO, all which greatly contribute to - here it comes - CLIMATE CHANGE!

Have a nice evening!

Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 PM

6,323 posts, read 6,993,840 times
Quote:
I don’t understand why you need to believe something is real based on what politicians do? Just read the latest research on climate science! Scientific evidence doesn’t take political sides. It just is what it is.

When will Republican bring forth solutions and action? If Democrats are hypocrites, step up and show them!
Well, I believe in Climate Change....except I think 80 per cent in natural and 20 per cent is man-caused.

BUT, I am willing to go along with restrictions like 55 MPH on highways. I am willing to reduce jet travel to 1970's levels. I am willing to let the market replace coal generating plants with natural gas.

I am NOT willing to do a carbon tax. I am NOT willing to do cap and trade regulations.

Doing 55 mph, the restrictions on jet travel, and replacement of coal plants will reduce C02 emissions by 50% TOMORROW.

Let's try those, first.

Nope, the issue is one the Democrats need to take the lead on....and the Governors can do it.....TOMORROW by simply writing a executive order limiting the speed limit to 55 MPH in their states.

WHY won't they do something as simple and effective as that???

BTW...Trump and the Republicans cannot reduce the speed limit to 55 MPH. That authority lies with the Governors today....and most of the transportation emissions come from blue states.

Here is a good book for you to read on natural climate change: https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...-without-water

The author does believe in man-made climate change...but the book is on NATURAL CLIMATE change. Worth reading, A bit dry since it is a "science" book.

Having worked with "scientists" throughout my 40 year career......your comment...."Scientific evidence doesn’t take political sides." is true. Unfortunately, Scientists take political sides, and tamper, slice and dice the data, and do a million other things....to the "scientific evidence".

Nature does not take polls. It really doesn't care that we have a hard time comprehending how things work. Scientific agreement in many cases just confirmed the "theory of the madness of crowds".

Last edited by 509; 09-05-2019 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,424,602 times
Quote:

because it is the fascist liberals that are pushing a carbon tax (with NO ANSWER to what the money would be used for)

it is the far left liberals that are talking about 10's of trillions to fight something that can NOT be fought

if they were true believers they would have done something in early 09 when they had control of all three houses

the real question is why haven't the lying liberals, who lie about being supportive of alt energy, why they haven't put one plan forward...not one who is in office has put forth any feasible plan

in 2008/09 when we spent 1.5 trillion on 'saving' failed companies and not so shovel ready jobs, we could have put a solar electrical system on each and every single family house. thus eliminating the need for residential electric companies ...making EVERY house part of the electric grid

I wish the liberals instead of spending 1.5 trillion on an unstimulating stimulus, and bailing out failed companies, would have said..lets spend that trillion+ dollars and put a solar electrical system on each and every single family home.......this would have saved the average American home owner 200-500 dollars MONTHLY and would have eliminated the need for ''residential electric utility companies" and would have lowered our need of coal/fossil fuel for home energy..........once that program was complete, then look to expand to commercial properties ……... this would have truly been a '''shovel ready''' job and put millions of construction contractors to work during the recession...…..... but alas the liberals aren't really interested in saving the economy or taking care of the middleclass........all the liberals are interested in doing, is lying to the people and lining their pockets.

imagine if our liberals(who say they are for the environment ) had been smart enough to actually use that idea...every home in America would now be part of the energy grid producing energy...every home in America would be free of the municipal utility bills hitting them for 200/300/500+ a month for electric

not one politician (from either party) made even a remotely similar suggestion, yet the liberals lie and say they are for the environment

and EVEN TODAY...not one of these liberals who supposedly are all about the environment has thought of this plan.....
not Bernie, not Harris, not Warren...none of them

Old 09-05-2019, 10:28 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,092,911 times
Scientists reading stuff like this probably just go to the liquor store, go home, and be like “well, I tried”.. And sit-down and drink. All the research just to be told your part of a conspiracy.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:33 PM

18,667 posts, read 7,534,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The science is settled on climate change.
TRANSLATION: Still nobody has been able to prove that man had anything to do the climate change we're seeing, or can do anything to change it back. Even after 40+ years of trying. So I'll try to change the subject to simply "climate change" without mentioning the "man-made" part. And I'll try to persuade people to not talk about it at all by alleging "the science is settled", in hopes that somebody somewhere will believe me.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:34 PM

412 posts, read 144,569 times
55 mph would really suck.

I was just a little kid during that era

Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 PM

18,667 posts, read 7,534,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Well, I believe in Climate Change....except I think 80 per cent in natural and 20 per cent is man-caused.
You're 80% right.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:45 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,469,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Anyone else watching?

It will be welcomed to have a debate on climate change by adults.

I would hope that this thread is focused on climate change and the candidates' solutions and positions.

There is not much that can be done before this thread is infested with denier inanities and junk science.

The science is settled on climate change.

This thread is about solutions and the Democratic candidates positions.
Well seeing CNN’s ratings, my guess not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies