Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:38 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Sure thing OP. Next you will tell us that Dorian was imaginary. Try telling that to the people of the Bahamas. Let us not forget the fifty inches of rain that fell from Harvey in TX. Climate change is causing the huge increase in mass and power of hurricanes

Meteorologists are now recommending we establish a new category for hurricanes a CAT 6.

I am sure there are those who say, 'I am in the mountains, so what.' While you may not be affected physically by hurricanes you are going to pay for the damages via your taxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZCQHvRg2k
Yeah, because there were no hurricanes prior to SUVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 08:42 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I think Anthony Watts should publish his findings so that the AGW crowd can see how they're all wrong. Oh wait, the data has already been published and discussed! Problem solved! But of course the denier crowd will claim conspiracy, ignorant liberal scientists, blah blah blah.

Really, there will always be deniers of anything - there are flat-earthers, there are people who believe man never landed on the moon, there are people who don't believe the Holocaust happened, or Sandy Hook. So a few AGW deniers is to be expected. But it is pointless to debate with them as they will cling to their conspiracy theories. So what's the point? The world has moved on. Like it or not, AGW is a policy driver for most countries and many industries.
"We need to do something about climate change, because I don't want the seas to rise and ruin my car, air conditioner or trip to the Bahamas - I already have my plane ticket. Plus my brand new iPhone isn't warranted against salt water. Worse comes to worse, my new 55" television has YouTube built in. But back on topic, we need to do something!"

Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,161,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

You realize, don't you, that labeling those who question the hypothesis of AGW "denialists" is anti-science and an anti-academic labeling of those who are simply doing what is supposed to be done in actual science- examining and questioning a hypothesis.
It can't be anti-science b/c you aren't a scientist. It's akin to me asking my cousin's kindergarten teacher to assess my need for a triple by-pass. Am I anti-medicine if I tell her I am listening to my doctor and not her...

Old 09-05-2019, 09:08 PM

56,848 posts, read 25,780,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
And Yet we’re going to spend trillions and lower our standard of living over a hoax!

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/p...ata-locations/
Sure we wouldn't want to lower our standard of living over a hoax, those warming temperatures, Iceland melting, increased hurricane activity and flooding don't cost us a cent. Get ready to shell out a few billion each year and accept more refugees from climate change.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:45 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,943,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yeah, because there were no hurricanes prior to SUVs.
Literally no climatologist has ever made the argument that there were no hurricanes before the industrial revolution. In fact, no single hurricane can be directly attributed to climate change, just like no other singular weather event can be. If you knew anything about climate, you would know this already, but I guess making these kinds of sarcastic remarks is a lot easier than educating yourself of what climate change really is.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,683,753 times
I've been saying that for years.
AFAIK China has very strict rules for standard stations. They keep moving the stations outwards due to urbanization.
In the US the stations could be just close to downtown (such as the one for Boston). It does not make sense.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:22 AM

7,334 posts, read 6,469,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Sure thing OP. Next you will tell us that Dorian was imaginary. Try telling that to the people of the Bahamas. Let us not forget the fifty inches of rain that fell from Harvey in TX. Climate change is causing the huge increase in mass and power of hurricanes

Meteorologists are now recommending we establish a new category for hurricanes a CAT 6.

I am sure there are those who say, 'I am in the mountains, so what.' While you may not be affected physically by hurricanes you are going to pay for the damages via your taxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZCQHvRg2k
What??? Just because a hurricane hits somewhere doesn't mean anything about global warming. If Dorian had stayed out to sea, would you be talking about it like that? People like to point to Sandy. Well Sandy was actually a minor storm. The effects were major due to the track it took and the places it hit! It wasn't particularly powerful or really all that unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
It can't be anti-science b/c you aren't a scientist. It's akin to me asking my cousin's kindergarten teacher to assess my need for a triple by-pass. Am I anti-medicine if I tell her I am listening to my doctor and not her...
Anyone that does or studies science is a scientist! Just because you don't have a specific degree doesn't mean you can't understand the basic scientific principles (that the AGW crows regularly throws out the window).

Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,392,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sure we wouldn't want to lower our standard of living over a hoax, those warming temperatures, Iceland melting, increased hurricane activity and flooding don't cost us a cent. Get ready to shell out a few billion each year and accept more refugees from climate change.
increased hurricane activity? This decade had less than the previous decades.

1960's - 15
1970's - 12
1980's - 16
1990's - 14
2000's - 19
2010's - 12

https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E23.html

Old 09-06-2019, 01:22 PM

4,208 posts, read 3,125,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The denialist movement is sad and delusional.
Do you ever question science? If not, why? Scientists have been proven wrong innumerable times over the last thousand years.

While I would not classify myself as a "denier," I am quite skeptical of much that has occurred in this field over the last 40 years or so has been on the up and up (and I know a couple of climate scientists). Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:27 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,067,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Do you ever question science? If not, why? Scientists have been proven wrong innumerable times over the last thousand years.

While I would not classify myself as a "denier," I am quite skeptical of much that has occurred in this field over the last 40 years or so has been on the up and up (and I know a couple of climate scientists). Time will tell who is right and who is wrong.
Picture a bunch of scientists on a road trip. But they don't have a map. But after much research they figure out where to go. Some disagree, and believe the direction is 30 degrees east, but all in all, they’re all heading the same general direction. Meanwhile there is a few scientists that dont agree and go the opposite direction, even though the other scientists checked and tell them that its a dead end.

So the idea is settled in that, yes, we all agree on this idea, but there maybe ither factors etc. but nothing concrete has convinced us that this is the wrong road. Any new ideas or findings is just simply changing lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies