Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 03:12 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times

Advertisements

Two responses since page twenty really stick out

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'd mimic those countries who've successfully maintained gun violence to a minimum regardless of Our Second Amendment Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
wrap your head around sacrificing for the betterment of man kind.
One has to wonder how you react if someone said the same regarding other rights you may support and hold dear, like free speech, right to a attorney , right to due process, right to a trial and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 03:12 PM

814 posts, read 669,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Quite the opposite.

I know on road trips with my family, we will be perectly safe if we break down in the middle of know where.

You must watch too many movies.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Two responses since page twenty really stick out

One has to wonder how you react if someone said the same regarding other rights you may support and hold dear, like free speech, right to a attorney , right to due process, right to a trial and so on.

I never said no guns. Just a compromise to the epidemic facing our society. We're a very selfish and paranoid country that is largely more uptight with the advent of the internet.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:17 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,204 times
Pass national reciprocity and do it in such a way that “shall issue†becomes a nationwide standard. There are only about, what, 10 states that are still “may issue� We need to get everybody on the same page. After that, I’d have to see.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:26 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
I never said no guns. Just a compromise to the epidemic facing our society. We're a very selfish and paranoid country that is largely more uptight with the advent of the internet.
Oh the compromise thing again, when it comes to gun control the pro gun control people's idea of discussion is they talk and we listen, their idea compromise is they take and we give.

Over and over the pro gun control people's position is shown to be faulty but they never see it. What if someone said "1st amendment doesn't include TV, radio , internet and smartphones but it does include paper written and vocalized speech so hey you STILL have free speech so compromise that".

The very ridiculous proposals being posted on this thread by pro gun control people shows how totalitarian they would go if they could.

That is the very reason why the bill of rights was written the way it was, BUT you can still have your way just do it the right way and get congress to repeal the 2nd.

As far as the epidemic facing our nation, the real epidemic is we have a society where too many have lost respect for life both for their own and others. Address that and you won't see so much senseless murder.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:42 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Did you?

Or did you pull your gun because you had it on you?

I've been threatened in the inner city also, but never felt the need to have a gun, or a knife for that matter. Knowing how to defuse, rather than accelerate, a situation goes a long way. Situational awareness will allow you to avoid the most dangerous confrontations. That, and don't be involved with drugs. Or hookers.

The tough man act will get you into trouble. A sense of humor goes a long way in dissipating issues.
I had a contract to work there. I was twice approached by gang bangers with knives in their hands. I showed my gun and they ran. One of them stabbed a man to death not long after that for a bag of hamburgers.
If you ever really spent any time in a gang area, you would know you need protection. You are not going to talk them out of attacking you. Gang bangers don't care.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:43 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
You must watch too many movies.
You have never lived in the real world.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh the compromise thing again, when it comes to gun control the pro gun control people's idea of discussion is they talk and we listen, their idea compromise is they take and we give.

Over and over the pro gun control people's position is shown to be faulty but they never see it. What if someone said "1st amendment doesn't include TV, radio , internet and smartphones but it does include paper written and vocalized speech so hey you STILL have free speech so compromise that".

The very ridiculous proposals being posted on this thread by pro gun control people shows how totalitarian they would go if they could.

That is the very reason why the bill of rights was written the way it was, BUT you can still have your way just do it the right way and get congress to repeal the 2nd.

As far as the epidemic facing our nation, the real epidemic is we have a society where too many have lost respect for life both for their own and others. Address that and you won't see so much senseless murder.

That's just it.. gun nuts fear totalitarianism, marshall law and feel the need to be prepared. Too many Hollywood movies and fear mongering. It's not about totalitarianism in the least bit, just fair compromise and a reduction across the board.

The NRA theme of "give an inch and they'll take a mile" theme is so dated. I realize it's not easy not getting something in return for giving up something, but that is what civilized people do. People give up smoking indoors, buy unleaded gas, perform smog inspections, use less water for the yard, cut out plastic bags, give up car pool lanes,pay bridge tolls, drive electric cars for a tax break etc... to live in a modern society. Seems to be working well for nearly every country outside of the U.S. this cowboy up attitude is far too ancient and self serving imo.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You have never lived in the real world.

I lived in Oakland,Ca for more than 10 years and worked for the railroad in and around the worst cities from Richmond,Ca down to Fresno,Ca. Can you imagine how bad the housing is next to all those rail road tracks for 200 miles? Most jobs were working night shift on the weekends. Richmond and Oakland were constantly top 5 per capita for murder rate while I was employed. You have no idea of my experience around gun play.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,399 times
Quote:
People give up smoking indoors, buy unleaded gas, perform smog inspections, use less water for the yard, cut out plastic bags, give up car pool lanes,pay bridge tolls, drive electric cars for a tax break etc... to live in a modern society.
You just can't get it can ya? Nothing that you mention can be compared to guns. Last time I checked, none of those were in the Bill Of Rights......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies