Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:11 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
About three weeks ago, a young man that I know had his door kicked in at 3 am. He was attacked by two intruders. He managed to get loose, grab his gun and shoot both of them. One of them died. If he had not protected his wife and little girls who knows what might have happened? It was admittedly, the first gun death in my county in the last 1o years. He was bloodied by the intruders, but at least they did not kill him before he could get his gun.
Of course, some of you would rather he died and wife and little girls be raped.
Why was he attacked?
And did the intruders have a gun?
I gotta know, 'cuz I have a Bubba Stick.
https://www.amazon.com/Walking-cane-...ay&sr=8-1&th=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 02:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It is illegal in my state to register guns, as it should be.
We hold that a proper claim of the constitutional privilege against self-incrimination(4th & 5th Amendment) provides a full defense to prosecutions either for failure to register a firearm under sec.5841 or for possession of an unregistered firearm under sec.5851

Haynes v. U.S. (1968)
In three pages, the court went from claiming that the registration law was intended to stop "an evil in the misuse of rifles and shotguns by criminals" to admitting that it was "not aimed at persons inherently suspect of criminal activities."( it went after the peoples rights-2nd, 4th, 5th)

This 8-1 decision (with only Chief Justice Earl Warren dissenting) is, depending on your view of Fifth Amendment, either a courageous application of the intent of the self-incrimination clause, or evidence that the Supreme Court had engaged in reductio ad absurdum of the Fifth Amendment. Under this ruling, a person illegally possessing a firearm, under either federal or state law, could not be punished for failing to register it.

Last edited by BentBow; 09-10-2019 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 02:57 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Under a scenario when somebody "sneaks" into your house, would you be willing to take a chance and assume that the intruder is not armed with a weapon? Keep in mind that illegal narcotics can be the weapon and a baseball bat will not stop him.
Yes indeed. As a matter of fact, the firearms class you take to qualify for a CCW in my county has mandatory targets as close as 3 feet. One lady asked the instructor what was the point of having one at 3 feet, she thought it was stupid. His response was the guys on crack will not stop until you put a bullet in their brain.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The fairy tale that one "needs one for home defence" is just that, a narrative promoted by the NRA, and effectively it seems.

When I am home, whether in the middle of the bald assed prairie in the summer, or at my Florida condo in the winter, my door is virtually never locked unless I am away. I refuse to live in fear. My guns are all safely stored.
Must be nice to live in a fairy tale community. You are welcome to live as you like, and fortunately so are the rest of us. A neighbor of mine had a home invasion a year ago...the crazed and drugged robber beat the cr*p out of him.....the sherrifs shot the bad guy a few miles away...

Old 09-10-2019, 03:06 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
First off I don't buy that you own a single firearm. Second it has zero to do with living in fear but living with a sense of security that if a thug decided to do harm to you or your family you have the ability to counter their dumb mistake.
I don't care what you believe. Between my Winchester Model 70 .270, Beretta semi-auto 12 guage, an old .410/22 over-under, old Cooey .22 and my .17 Tikka HMR, what else would I need?

130 or 150 grain in the .270? And why? Which scope? Nikon, Leopold or go all out for a Swarovski?

Old 09-10-2019, 03:10 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You are in your car. An angry man is trying to pull you out through the window. You are using one hand to push him back while you are able to reach your gun with your other hand.

Load a round in whatever method you wish.
"Tshabalala claimed that he had fallen asleep in his car while waiting for his son and that he had mistaken him for a hijacker."

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...years-20190604

Wonderful, right?

Old 09-10-2019, 04:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
"Tshabalala claimed that he had fallen asleep in his car while waiting for his son and that he had mistaken him for a hijacker."

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...years-20190604

Wonderful, right?

That's South Africa......how do they train those who are armed there?

Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Now lets use that same scenario but this time he has his gun in a safe, with a trigger lock and bullets separated from the weapon. What would have been the outcome?
He might well be dead.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:14 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Why was he attacked?
And did the intruders have a gun?
I gotta know, 'cuz I have a Bubba Stick.
https://www.amazon.com/Walking-cane-...ay&sr=8-1&th=1
He did not have time to ask WHY? Does not matter if they had a gun.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:49 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
If some one is breaking into your home, they have already considered the assets and dangers, question is are you going to actually put to put up a resistance.
I recommend that you put a sign on your door (this is a gun free zone) and the bad guys will gladly accommodate you .
Or , take responsibility for your own protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies