Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:40 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

There is so many, and many people here touched on them. I'd basically leave the law abiding alone and go after the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 11:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
If I were in charge I would study the problem and come up with a great solution that would keep 98% of the people happy.

The other 2% (or 5% or whatever) will NEVER be happy and in human matters there is no such thing as making or keeping everyone happy.

I can say what I would not do. I would not spend 100's of billions hardening schools, giving kids PTSD with "active shooter" drills and arming up Police Departments more and more so they won't be outgunned.

Those are the most idiotic "solutions" one can come up with.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
so basically you support only the rich, elite and celebrities owning a gun or collection.
No.
Anyone who wants one bad enough will be willing to jump through these hoops.

I'd like to see car ownership/licensing be this tough, too.

And I'm a lifelong, gun-owning conservative.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:48 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
I don’t honestly think there is nothing you can do. Sure make it harder to buy a gun but at some point it’s not worth it. Especially when you can buy a gun online or out of the back of a car or one of your friends.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:57 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
  1. Mandatory federal database of all gun sales, owners, and sellers
  2. Ban private firearm sales. Any private sale has to be done through a licensed intermediary to comply with rule #1
  3. Mandatory insurance for owning more than 1 gun in a household, that goes up with each additional gun in a household
  4. Ban sale of any rapid fire or semi auto rifles, including manufacturers who make it easy to upgrade those features
  5. Limit total ammunition to 2 magazines worth that can be bought and stored at home

Old 09-07-2019, 12:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
1. Mandatory federal database of all gun sales, owners, and sellers
2. Ban private firearm sales. Any private sale has to be done through a licensed intermediary to comply with rule #1
3. Mandatory insurance for owning more than 1 gun in a household, that goes up with each additional gun in a household
4. Ban sale of any rapid fire or semi auto rifles, including manufacturers who make it easy to upgrade those features
5. Limit total ammunition to 2 magazines worth that can be bought and stored at home

Okay, on #5 we come to my area. If I have to shoot and I hit an innocent bystander, I go to jail. Therefore, it behooves me to practice as often as I can, to be perfect........and you can't do that on 40 rounds (assuming we have the 20 round magazine).

So A and B. A: Do we want people to be safe if they have to shoot? B: If I have to shoot and I miss and hit an innocent bystander, does the person who decided that I would be unable to practice.....goes to jail instead?

Old 09-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Oh yeah? How about this?
1. Manage gun ownership like vehicles -- titles, annual registration, license, insurance, inspection.
2. Require gun owner membership in a citizen's militia certified and authorized by the state with psychological screening as a prerequisite.
3. No gun sales of any kind outside of government-run stores. No private sales or transfers outside of the controlled stores. Absolute background checks on all transfers and waiting periods.
4. No possession of "military", "assault", or "high capacity" weapons or magazines.
5. No open carry. Limited concealed carry only with authorization/license.
6. Gun possession with elevated/illegal blood alcohol content is a misdemeanor on first offense only. Second offense forfeits gun rights and mandatory jail time.
7. Suspended gun possession for domestic violence or assault charges.
8. A rational limit on the number of guns that can be owned. "Collectors" will make guns inoperable or comply with annual registration, etc. - and will be licensed.
9. Buy back requirements on estate transfers.
10. Private, self-manufacture of guns of any kind is a felony.
11. impose strict controls on ammunition sales and self-loaders.
12. Tough penalties/jail/prison for violators. No parole for armed criminal action.

Gun rights extremists keep pushing the envelope on what they can get away with to the point of absolute absurdity as we have seen. There are too many clowns with guns. When some idiot dresses up in assault gear and parades around in Walmart with an assault rifle to "test his gun rights" just days after a mass shooting we have fallen too far down the rabbit hole. If there isn't some rational and far-reaching gun controls put in place there will be draconian limits and laws. Time is running out. Rational and law abiding gun owners will pay the price for the antics and ridiculous claims of the gun nuts unless this is reined in and real controls put in place. Hunters and competition or target shooters will be painted with the same brush unless this is brought under real and rational control.
Nice. Looks like we're in favor of similar solutions for gun control...

Old 09-07-2019, 12:05 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No.
Anyone who wants one bad enough will be willing to jump through these hoops.

I'd like to see car ownership/licensing be this tough, too.

And I'm a lifelong, gun-owning conservative.
Like I said, only the rich and elite could afford them. "Jump through hoops", basically "We didn't ban guns outright but made it next to impossible to get that yeah they are banned basically".

Hey you car mechanic, plumber and everyday person and such, you want to own 5 or 10 guns?, pay the massive fees to do so for each one. They then say "well can't afford it". Anti gun person then replies " cool no guns for you thank goodness".

Old 09-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Okay, on #5 we come to my area. If I have to shoot and I hit an innocent bystander, I go to jail. Therefore, it behooves me to practice as often as I can, to be perfect........and you can't do that on 40 rounds (assuming we have the 20 round magazine).

So A and B. A: Do we want people to be safe if they have to shoot? B: If I have to shoot and I miss and hit an innocent bystander, does the person who decided that I would be unable to practice.....goes to jail instead?
Why are you doing target practice at home? Go to a gun range, buy the ammo, work on your aim. When you're done, return unused ammo to the range.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:08 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Oh yeah? How about this?
1. Manage gun ownership like vehicles -- titles, annual registration, license, insurance, inspection.
2. Require gun owner membership in a citizen's militia certified and authorized by the state with psychological screening as a prerequisite.
3. No gun sales of any kind outside of government-run stores. No private sales or transfers outside of the controlled stores. Absolute background checks on all transfers and waiting periods.
4. No possession of "military", "assault", or "high capacity" weapons or magazines.
5. No open carry. Limited concealed carry only with authorization/license.
6. Gun possession with elevated/illegal blood alcohol content is a misdemeanor on first offense only. Second offense forfeits gun rights and mandatory jail time.
7. Suspended gun possession for domestic violence or assault charges.
8. A rational limit on the number of guns that can be owned. "Collectors" will make guns inoperable or comply with annual registration, etc. - and will be licensed.
9. Buy back requirements on estate transfers.
10. Private, self-manufacture of guns of any kind is a felony.
11. impose strict controls on ammunition sales and self-loaders.
12. Tough penalties/jail/prison for violators. No parole for armed criminal action.

Gun rights extremists keep pushing the envelope on what they can get away with to the point of absolute absurdity as we have seen. There are too many clowns with guns. When some idiot dresses up in assault gear and parades around in Walmart with an assault rifle to "test his gun rights" just days after a mass shooting we have fallen too far down the rabbit hole. If there isn't some rational and far-reaching gun controls put in place there will be draconian limits and laws. Time is running out. Rational and law abiding gun owners will pay the price for the antics and ridiculous claims of the gun nuts unless this is reined in and real controls put in place. Hunters and competition or target shooters will be painted with the same brush unless this is brought under real and rational control.
Reads like a solution to personal freedom,self ownership and property rights. The ghost of Chairman Mao is pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies