Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 07:26 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times

Advertisements

It is remarkable- almost as remarkable as your asking me for a specific number of how many I know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 07:50 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Shaming people is repugnant, and there's neither a need for it nor any rational excuse.

That said, accommodation is equally as repugnant, because it initiates force against others, violates freedom of association and does not respect property rights.

What I mean is, it is ignorant and offensive to start yelling "fatty go away!!" at some obese person, but it is equally as ignorant and offensive for that obese person to force me to accommodate them somehow, as person, business owner, whatever. Just because I don't have the right to shame them doesn't mean they inherit the right to force me to accommodate them.

Maher is a comedian who makes his bones with satire, shock and offense. His words should be taken with that grain of salt. But the underlying point isn't to start shaming, but to stop accommodating. Stop praising, and virtue signaling and genuflecting before the woke altar. It takes no effort and doesn't require shaming.

If someone is too fat to fit in coach and has to either buy two seats or fly first class, well, they have been provided a financial incentive to lose weight. No, we shouldn't ridicule them publicly, but the entire airline industry shouldn't be forced to accommodate them either. If obesity is absolutely one of the nation's top three causes of mortality, saying that isn't shaming, it's science. Don't hide facts for fear of someone being frightened or offended by them. Doesn't mean you have to be cruel in your delivery, but it also means you don't have to censor truth.

I don't hate Tess Holiday, and I would never insult or shame her, but I won't praise her morbid obesity. If I did talk to her, I would tell her that her medical condition is going to kill her, same as if she smoked 3 packs a day and drank drain-o, but there is a cure to be found in proper nutrition and exercise, and just like a cancer patient enduring years of chemo and other treatment to kick their condition, she can "battle" her condition as well over a similar period and kick the disease. If she wants to feel beautiful and not ashamed of her size...GOOD ON HER. People should love themselves, but they shouldn't delude themselves. If I simply love how I feel, how I smell and how I look after smoking 30 cigarettes, good for me...but I cannot delude myself on what smoking 30 cigarettes does to my body.

Obesity is a disease. It's absurdly well documented, down to causes, cures, effects, costs, etc. Same as any other disease. But we get nowhere with those who are afflicted with the disease by either shaming them for their condition or by IGNORING it with false praise, forced accommodation, etc.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:12 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Well, Trump must be depressed because apparently all he eats is junk food.
Do you have access to his private life or are you just repeating what FNM told you to say?

Shaming someone for alcoholism, smoking, drug addiction or overeating doesn't change anything until they want to change something.

However, IMO there is too much unfounded, pretentious praise of these overweight young celebs/singers about being proud of how you look.

After watching My 600 Pound Life series, I realize just how much these people have an addiction just as those who are drug, alcohol, tobacco do. Food is their drug of choice and it shows.

I'd bet many of these fat critics are smokers, illegal drug users and alcoholics which prevents them from overeating and being overweight. Casting stones in glass houses.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Do you have access to his private life or are you just repeating what FNM told you to say?

Shaming someone for alcoholism, smoking, drug addiction or overeating doesn't change anything until they want to change something.

However, IMO there is too much unfounded, pretentious praise of these overweight young celebs/singers about being proud of how you look.

After watching My 600 Pound Life series, I realize just how much these people have an addiction just as those who are drug, alcohol, tobacco do. Food is their drug of choice and it shows.

I'd bet many of these fat critics are smokers, illegal drug users and alcoholics which prevents them from overeating and being overweight. Casting stones in glass houses.
Well, as Trump himself would say: "many people are saying" that Trump likes junk food. And besides, just look at the guy. Especially from behind. He's got a rump like a Sumo wrestler. He's obviously extremely overweight. And you don't get that way from eating broccoli and alfalfa sprouts.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 AM

78 posts, read 37,459 times
I don't tolerate these fatties who think the world owes them something. If I was obese and had to travel on an airline, I would buy two seats so as to not have to inconvenience anybody else. This never seems to happen though. So I just take the armrest on the flight, and slam it down onto the blubber. I'm paying the same amount for a seat as them. No way in hell Im giving them a third of my seat as well since they were too cheap and selfish to pay for another seat!

Old 09-19-2019, 09:01 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
It is remarkable- almost as remarkable as your asking me for a specific number of how many I know!
Well you said you know a lot and therefore shaming people works so just figuring the amount of addicts and the increasing epidemic compared to your numbers. Even 257 doesn't show that shaming works when ~1.7 million Americans suffer from drug addiction.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:03 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
I don't tolerate these fatties who think the world owes them something. If I was obese and had to travel on an airline, I would buy two seats so as to not have to inconvenience anybody else. This never seems to happen though. So I just take the armrest on the flight, and slam it down onto the blubber. I'm paying the same amount for a seat as them. No way in hell Im giving them a third of my seat as well since they were too cheap and selfish to pay for another seat!
Sounds like a good way to have your head smashed into the closest hard object...Lol

Old 09-19-2019, 09:16 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sounds like a good way to have your head smashed into the closest hard object...Lol
And this is why I am against shaming, it encourages people like him to shame.... and worse, do more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-19-2019, 09:20 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And this is why I am against shaming, it encourages people like him to shame.... and worse, do more.
If he does it to the wrong person, chances are he won't shame people anymore.

I learned this lesson early on in life. I tended to make fun of the long haired "burnouts" in school. I just so happened to pick on the wrong one, in gym class. He was on the football and wrestling teams. Yes, I got my ass kicked, and deserved it. I did not pick on people like that anymore.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:34 PM

78 posts, read 37,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If he does it to the wrong person, chances are he won't shame people anymore.

I learned this lesson early on in life. I tended to make fun of the long haired "burnouts" in school. I just so happened to pick on the wrong one, in gym class. He was on the football and wrestling teams. Yes, I got my ass kicked, and deserved it. I did not pick on people like that anymore.

Well you are an idiot then and a pansy for picking on others that have done nothing to you. Long haired burnouts don't bother you, then you should mind your own business. When Im forced to sit next to someone on a transcontinental flight who is over 300 pounds and takes up a third of my seat and sweats on me, then what am I supposed to do? I don't intend to shame anybody, but if a person doesnt5 care about inconveniencing others and making others uncomfortable, then they have no shame. Buy another damn ticket and take two seats If they get shamed because I force an armrest down to gain back some of my personal space they they have intruded on and to prevent them from sweating on me that is their problem not mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies