Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:36 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

What kind of person thinks fat shaming is a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 10:44 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Unfortunately the federal government is part of the problem, specifically the USDA.
With one hand they circulate a bogus food pyramid which is supposedly health based but in reality is a promotional tool for American farmers.

With the other hand they engage in joint marketing efforts (using our tax dollars) with the likes of Arby’s and Wendys promoting the very food they claim we should moderate.

When the USDA recommends that we should limit our Egg and Cheese intake, the egg and cheese industry comes crashing down on them.

There’s a ton of info on this.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...ealth-conflict

https://youtu.be/RX2IHxYX0I8

THIS. ^^

I don't know how I feel about his statement, I'm definitely not for shaming people, that's just nasty. But offering help and support? Sure.

This public shaming stuff just goes too far.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-07-2019, 10:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I disagree with him not because it's mean, but because it turns out bullying doesn't actually work. People who are regularly tormented and bullied at school for their weight actually end up even fatter because they turn to comfort eating, plus the increase of cortisol (a hormone produced in response to stress that encourages increased fat storage).

I've seen this myself. I had an overweight friend in middle school who was regularly fat shamed. For example, people regularly threw garbage at her, went up and punched her stomach, told her she was a monster and to kill herself, etc. In gym class, everyone laughed at her when she ran and did her best. The teachers and her parents never intervened because they thought it'd motivate her to lose weight.

Did it work? No. She ended up taking solace in sneaking comfort foods (her parents enforced a fat free diet on her even though everyone else in her family was allowed to eat normal food) and in slicing up her wrists.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 09-07-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-07-2019, 10:52 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Unfortunately the federal government is part of the problem, specifically the USDA.
With one hand they circulate a bogus food pyramid which is supposedly health based but in reality is a promotional tool for American farmers.

With the other hand they engage in joint marketing efforts (using our tax dollars) with the likes of Arby’s and Wendys promoting the very food they claim we should moderate.

When the USDA recommends that we should limit our Egg and Cheese intake, the egg and cheese industry comes crashing down on them.

There’s a ton of info on this.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthca...ealth-conflict

https://youtu.be/RX2IHxYX0I8
Obviously the answer is to fight corruption and not let big business hijack the government. If your answer is no government oversight, and just let the food industry do as they want, it will not lead to a healthier society.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:55 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Encouragement, yes. Education, yes. Empowerment yes.
Shaming no. Nobody is going to lose weight by shaming them into it. They feel bad enough as it is. Shaming exacerbates the situation.
Why can't you equate it to smoking? Make no mistake, smokers are shamed even though most of them are physically addicted to nicotine. And it is working.

I am certain obese people parading around in sausage leggings and crop tops are not ashamed or feel bad about themselves. And the men with their butts and bellies spilling out are not embarrassed, they think they are "husky".

Old 09-07-2019, 11:00 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Default Bill Maher Weighs In On U.S. Obesity: Fat Shaming “Needs To Make A Comeback”

One of the very few times I actually agree with him.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...052918084.html

Quote:
Bill Maher served up a super-sized portion of steamed snark on Friday night as he weighed in on the American obesity crisis by equating overeating to racism and littering as a behavior that should be admonished in public ways.

“In August, 53 Americans died from mass shootings,” the host of Real Time with Bill Maher told his live studio audience in Los Angeles. “Terrible right? Do you know how many died from obesity? Forty thousand. Fat shaming doesn’t need to end it needs to make a comeback. Some amount of shame is good. We shamed people out of smoking and into wearing seat belts. We shamed them out of littering and most of them out of racism. Shame is the first step in reform.”

Old 09-07-2019, 11:06 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I wonder if Maher would be okay with shaming others based on subjective criteria such as he is doing here? You know like shaming someone over; sexual orientation, race, religion, height, hair color, income level, breast size...

What about you o.p.? Would you still agree with Maher if he said its good to shame your gay child or your christain beliefs, etc?

Old 09-07-2019, 11:08 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Duplicate thread.

There is already a thread on this started earlier this morning.
Here

Old 09-07-2019, 11:12 AM

31,072 posts, read 22,086,243 times
It's just Bill Maher. He can be right on, on one issue, and totally off on another. Anyway, Obesity is a real problem, and a national health issue. I'm sure Celebrating Obese people contributes to the problem. Fat shaming is obviously not the answer either.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:15 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Obesity is killing thousands of times more people than guns. I think we should focus on educating people on nutrition and reign in the lobbys that lead to unhealthy food chain. Fat shaming should be a last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies