Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 02:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
As I've already told you the child can't speak. Linguistic capabilities must be what give humans rights in that case?

Anyways that is only the tip of the iceberg for your problems. If consent is the default position (a ludicrous claim) then you can walk up to a person and punch them in the face and they can't be at blame since said person never told them not to.
What child?

I thought you were locked in a cage against your will?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 02:31 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Though I'm not quite a Libertarian, the OP's objection has merit. No one asked to be born (or refused it). And yet, here are. To kill oneself, from peeved feeling of violation, or despair of living to live, isn't the same, as to undo the reality of having been born. And none of this would matter, if on the whole we would be satisfied with the human-condition, or even if unsatisfied, if we laconically accepted the reality of being alive and of facing life's burdens.

Well, one solution is human extinction, through voluntary non-reproduction... if we come to espouse the idea, that creating any new sentient life is an affront against said life. That would neatly solve our various political squabbles and philosophical laments.

Another solution would be to just shut-up-and-color, accepting life's endemic unfairness and making the best of it. Neither option is, I think, of unalloyed appeal. We face a problem, don't we? I don't have a satisfactory answer.
Was watching and waiting for the antinatalist to show up to this...whatever it is.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:32 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
The Child can't speak, this has been agreed upon.

He can kick and scream, but that's all. So without linguistic capabilities a human forfeits their autonomous rights?
Is speech the sole form of human communication? Damn we must not be communicating.

I figure a kid kicking and screaming probably means whatever you're doing is against their will. Pro tip, if the girl you met in the bar is kicking and screaming, you might want to stop, because that's not consent.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:34 PM

So if a baby cries when you try to change its diaper, you should leave it in its own waste? Amazing.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:35 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What child?

I thought you were locked in a cage against your will?

oh god.

I can speak, so I can refuse consent. But a child can't. That's the problem with assuming consent. If I walk up and punch you in the face you never told me not to so by your logic its fine.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:36 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Is speech the sole form of human communication? Damn we must not be communicating.

I figure a kid kicking and screaming probably means whatever you're doing is against their will. Pro tip, if the girl you met in the bar is kicking and screaming, you might want to stop, because that's not consent.
Ok cool. So when your kid is crying you'll never leave him in a crib to rest.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
oh god.

I can speak, so I can refuse consent. But a child can't. That's the problem with assuming consent. If I walk up and punch you in the face you never told me not to so by your logic its fine.
Who is in the cage again?

Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
So if a baby cries when you try to change its diaper, you should leave it in its own waste? Amazing.
Are you the baby here?

Old 09-08-2019, 02:45 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Ok cool. So when your kid is crying you'll never leave him in a crib to rest.
Are you being purposely obtuse?

Jeez I don't even have kids and can tell the difference between the "get your stinkin' hands off me" cry, and the I'm hungry cry, and the my diaper needs changing cry, and the I'm tired and want to sleep cry.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Are you the baby here?
Come on. It was clear that I was responding to Gungnir’s claim that kicking and screaming = against a child’s will and comparison of a kicking and screaming child to a kicking and screaming adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies