Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 04:45 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
I have never heard of anyone being kick out out of anywhere for not tipping. So that story sounds fishy.

All i can think of is that the bar had other reasons for why they wanted those people out of the bar, and used the tipping as an excuse. Maybe they were loud, obnoxious, drunken louts, who were scaring away customers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 04:49 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
You are correct I’ve never worked in food service. But I am a customer and know the claim of better service is bogus.

Regardless, your anecdotes don’t have much value compared to a study of 40,000,000 service transactions across 800,000 “servers”. But it does confirm one of the other findings, about 50% of servers think service and tips are correlated. They are wrong.
I tip according to service and quality of the food and atmosphere. However, if the server ruins the whole experience by ignoring the people at my table, does not place our orders correctly, or is rude, I don't tip.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I tip according to service and quality of the food and atmosphere. However, if the server ruins the whole experience by ignoring the people at my table, does not place our orders correctly, or is rude, I don't tip.
Is the quality of food and atmosphere in the control of the waiter you are tipping? Will tipping the waiter more lead to better food from the kitchen and better decor in the restaurant? I don't see how those things are related to the job of the poor guy bringing you the food and taking your order.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:43 PM

609 posts, read 263,752 times
I hate that restaurants and bars are getting more aggressive with patrons who do not tip 20 percent. Perhaps it's time to stop patronizing these establishments. They only seem to care about your money and the customer shouldn't have to underwrite the staff's pay to that extreme. The restaurant should pay a fair wage.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:45 PM

609 posts, read 263,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bullcrap-

We tip minimum 30%- usually more. My wife tipped 50% last night after dinner.

These are working people who are busting their butts to make ends meet. Have some appreciation and sympathy.
Do you think everyone should tip 50% like your wife does?

If everyone had to tip that high, many people would stop dining out altogether...then what would happen to these people's jobs? Do you want to take a guess? There are already people who won't dine out anymore due to the tip going up from fifteen to twenty percent.

If I get stink eye from waiters or other customers for not leaving 30 to 50 % tip, guess where I won't be dining anymore?

Old 11-07-2019, 06:49 PM

927 posts, read 757,670 times
Way way back when , everyone was bragging they made $50 nite in tips and I told them to shut up

Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I mostly agree with this. I wish more people would stiff rude/incompetent wait staff (or other workers) who don't perform well, though. I've had a huge argument with friends about leaving a tip for someone who was flat-out awful. She took ages to come take our order, even though the place was nearly empty. She got the order wrong, slapped it on the table, then never came back to check. I had to track her down to tell her I'd been given the wrong food. Then she had a huge attitude about it. They felt compelled to leave her something anyway.

I do alterations for a bridal shop. Tips happen, but they're rare - possibly because the price for alterations on wedding dresses is so high. My salary is okay but those tips are hugely appreciated. Many girls underestimate just how long it takes for me to get their dress to fit them perfectly. The few who ask are usually shocked.

I recently hemmed a dress and it took me 8.5 hours for the hem alone. I could have cut that time down to 2 hours if I'd just cut through the lace at the bottom, but I wanted to preserve the pattern. No tip. Now, I got paid for the time I spent hemming, but it came at a cost of setting my schedule back by an entire day, so now I'm working 12-ish hours a day/7 days a week to get back on schedule. It would have been nice to have had her recognize the hard work.

One of the best tips I ever got was from a young girl who gave me a card with $20 in it. Peanuts, but it was what she could afford, and that she'd bothered to go out and get a card was special.
This may be the first time anybody ever heard that a tailor is to be tipped.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I hate that restaurants and bars are getting more aggressive with patrons who do not tip 20 percent. Perhaps it's time to stop patronizing these establishments. They only seem to care about your money and the customer shouldn't have to underwrite the staff's pay to that extreme. The restaurant should pay a fair wage.
Customers indirectly or directly pay everyone’s wage.

Restaurants/ bars could simply increase prices by 25%, or
Those opposed can dine at home or use the drive through and not think about how wages are baked into everything we consume.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
When I eat out in England, the service is just as good as it is here, the food is often better than it is here. The prices tend to be a little bit cheaper AND I don't have to leave a tip.

I like their system A LOT better.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:42 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,797 times
Tipped employees are paid their states' minimum wage or higher if they do not make at least that much in tips. So in that regard wait staff are guaranteed to be paid at least as much as non tipped workers, such as dishwashers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies