Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 12:16 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times

Advertisements

The people that have any issues with the policies in the OP are extremists outside the mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If Walmart HAS a business plan they'd be Amazon. They are/were just another dumb bunch of Executives who pressured their vendors to go to Asia and thought they were being smart.
You dont think Amazon purchases from Asia ?

Old 09-12-2019, 12:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't see what so great about amazon. Walmart and other retailers do online sales too like amazon plus you can pick up in the store.

I'm saying their attempt to be modern is lame. I wanted to see if something I needed was in stock locally (like you can do a Home Depot or anywhere else).

It was virtually impossible. Instead I was presented with 170 results, only 20 of which they sell and ZERO which were shown as being in stores. This was for a popular item that should have been in a store (a swimming float).....

The only thing "so great" about most other web sites is that they have a clue as to user interface. WalMart seems to have given up on people just coming to the store and getting something in stock - which was what they built their entire business on!

Old 09-12-2019, 12:23 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Oh, please.

I'll stop shopping at Walmart when I stop shopping on Amazon, and stop accepting Tom & Jerry samples at Wegmans.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They have actually partnered with Bloomberg's Everytown anti-gun group so there's nothing neutral about it and it's very much political. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wa...r-partnership/
Actually Walmart is a member of Everytown for Gun Safety’s ‘Responsible Firearms Retailer’ Partnership.

Not sure why you would think being a Responsible Firearms Retailer is political.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You dont think Amazon purchases from Asia ?
Well, of course they do....but WalMart actually went Face-to-Face in Bentonville with their American suppliers and told them outright that they would not renew with them unless they went to Asia.

I've heard these stories personally as I deal with various invention and innovation groups where members sell to them.

Amazon is more free market with their vendors. They do not go to a vendor having success on their site...and force them to go to Asia. If a product is selling they will even stock it for the American vendor.

So it's different - AND, besides, this thread is about WalMart. WalMart (Sam) promised to source American whenever he could. They threw that out the door. They are the #1 importer in the USA of Chinese containers. They forced the BIG companies (Rubbermaid, for example) to move overseas so they could say you a few dollars.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
I'm saying their attempt to be modern is lame. I wanted to see if something I needed was in stock locally (like you can do a Home Depot or anywhere else).

It was virtually impossible. Instead I was presented with 170 results, only 20 of which they sell and ZERO which were shown as being in stores. This was for a popular item that should have been in a store (a swimming float).....

The only thing "so great" about most other web sites is that they have a clue as to user interface. WalMart seems to have given up on people just coming to the store and getting something in stock - which was what they built their entire business on!
I don't know that Walmart's online in-store inventory check is any worse than anyone else's. You have to set the filters right, to in-store and by location I think. I do agree they still list a lot of inventory that their stores don't actually stock, but I find that true of other retailers with physical stores and online retailing. Amazon probably has their online ordering process more perfected but that's their whole business and they don't have stores to pick up things right away or to return to right away.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, please.

I'll stop shopping at Walmart when I stop shopping on Amazon, and stop accepting Tom & Jerry samples at Wegmans.
Now that Walmart is cutting down on being a BIG opiate supplier (one of the largest) they are going to lose a lot of the sales that came along with those store visits.

I don't think their biz model has legs. But they will stay in Biz...mostly supplying areas with less wealth.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/7...-lawsuit-trial

Old 09-12-2019, 12:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker...l-town-america

This is an interesting opinion piece written by Tucker Carlson where he mentions how the liberals used to really hate Walmart over minimum wage, health insurance, union issues, small businesses, etc. But now while Walmart is still very capitalist and I guess "conservative" fiscally, its become a very socially liberal company. First was the decision to stop selling handguns in the past, then the decision to take Confederate flag items off their online inventory, and how they're going to stop selling ammo altogether AND tell gun owners that they aren't welcome in their stores, even in states with legal open carry, even though the 2nd amendment protects our right to bear arms.

Some say that Walmart is giving in to liberal pressure from the likes of David Hogg. Others say Walmart is trying to attract a more liberal customer base, including blacks (many of whom are brainwashed into being Democrats) and Hispanics and aside from racial issues are also liberal in order to show loyalty to the Democrat Party. But by doing so is Walmart abandoning its "base" in rural, suburban and working class America?

I personally will be honest and say that I don't think I'll be able to totally boycott Walmart, but I WILL try to spend less money there. I didn't actually go to Walmart for over 2 months when they decided to remove the Confederate flag which I DO NOT consider a symbol of slavery or Jim Crow but a symbol of Southern pride, and I'm a native Southerner living on my native soil. But now I think their stance on guns is openly liberal Democrat, given that gun ownership is a sacred American right that our Constitution protects, yet they are sending a message that they're anti-gun, that gun ownership and buying ammo is something beyond the pale.

Obviously there are liberals who say that Walmart is simply being politically neutral, that their previous gun and ammo sales meant they sided with the conservative side. (Same with stuff like Delta Airlines and Enterprise car rentals making known NRA members ineligibile for discounts or frequent flyer miles.) Is this REALLY a smart move for Walmart? Do they think that those of us in rural and suburban America have few other options and HAVE to go to Walmart while their liberalism might attract more urban consumers? Or will they lose their base while yuppies and hipsters will always be too good for Walmart?
Can you imagine a conservative like Tucker Carlson feeling that Walmart is risking losing customers because of their 'liberalism'.

Who would have thought he would have that opinion.

Making sure I make extra trips to Walmart just to spite Tucker....(I'm kidding -- I don't do boycotts or make sure I buy stuff I don't need to support liberalism or protest liberalism).

Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
Well, of course they do....but WalMart actually went Face-to-Face in Bentonville with their American suppliers and told them outright that they would not renew with them unless they went to Asia.

I've heard these stories personally as I deal with various invention and innovation groups where members sell to them.

Amazon is more free market with their vendors. They do not go to a vendor having success on their site...and force them to go to Asia. If a product is selling they will even stock it for the American vendor.

So it's different - AND, besides, this thread is about WalMart. WalMart (Sam) promised to source American whenever he could. They threw that out the door. They are the #1 importer in the USA of Chinese containers. They forced the BIG companies (Rubbermaid, for example) to move overseas so they could say you a few dollars.
I think it is true Walmart laid the ground work for squeezing their suppliers which forced them to outsource more. But Amazon just rode on the back of it and squeezes its suppliers and vendors too, and also the postal systems. All the mass retailers are about the same.

Also, Walmart is now largely a grocery retailer. I bet most of its revenue is now from grocery sales. Selling groceries to all the people open borders can stuff their stores full with is their business plan.

Last edited by mtl1; 09-12-2019 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies