Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

It made Halliburton and their ilk rich.

It made Afghan officials rich with all the billions of US taxpayer dollars they stole.

The war certainly was good for quite a few people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 06:55 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
Apart from 60,000 dead soldiers, did anything about about it accomplish anything, really?
I think Afghanistan was a must-do after 9/11, while Iraq was unnecessary and just pure incompetence from the Bush admin.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think Afghanistan was a must-do after 9/11, while Iraq was just pure incompetence from the Bush admin.
I respectfully disagree.

We accomplished nothing in Afghanistan but waste lives and money.

I'll always view Bush as a fool for sending troops into Afghanistan and Iraq trying to "help" them.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
One positive that should have come from the 18 years of ongoing war, is large numbers of young people refusing to enlist. Unfortunately almost 1.5 million young men and women are still captivated by the uniforms and the shiny toys the MIC provides them. Not helping matters is all that "thank you for your service" nonsense that the similarly brainwashed and uninformed blather at every opportunity or that every holiday/sporting event and even some church services have been bent into another "lets take this opportunity to celebrate the military" spectacle.

It appears that it wont end until the US imperial empire collapses. And it will...and ironically will be an overall positive in and of itself.
The GI Bill benefit remains a strong recruiting tool.

40% are never deployed. Nonetheless, the public tends to treat all the same.

We have come a long way from the time when people spat on Vietnam Veterans, many of whom had no legal choice.

Having said this, I am a long time advocate for mandatory conscription- primarily domestic community service. Give 2 years of your life back to your country, acquire some self discipline and maybe learn a skill.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:29 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

We have come a long way from the time when people spat on Vietnam Veterans, many of whom had no legal choice.

Having said this, I am a long time advocate for mandatory conscription- primarily domestic community service. Give 2 years of your life back to your country, acquire some self discipline and maybe learn a skill.
I thought Lincoln killed nearly a million to "end slavery" and now you want to bring it back?

But thanks for mentioning the GI bill, it adds to the flavor of the US military being quite possibly the largest welfare scheme in the history of planet earth

Old 09-12-2019, 07:30 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
I would love to see such service as a prerequisite to elected or appointed federal office.

But the federal government can not and should not face the logistical nightmare of trying to induct 4,000,000 new 18-year-olds into the federal infrastructure every year.

If they are kept for two years, that would increase the size of the federal government by 8,000,000 (eight million) people.

More than that--the permanent cadre would have to be increased by at least another half million just to deal with those 8,000,000 short-timers.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:30 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I respectfully disagree.

We accomplished nothing in Afghanistan but waste lives and money.

I'll always view Bush as a fool for sending troops into Afghanistan and Iraq trying to "help" them.
We didn't go to Afghanistan to help them, we went there to destroy the Al Qaeda camps, and their leadership. Any president would have hit them. You are being a Monday morning QB by saying we should never have gone there. Staying there halfheartedly while invading Iraq is when it became a wast of time and money.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Nope. The state has no authority to require you to work for them.

And yes, I do NOT believe in the draft even in war time.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
The citizens of Kuwait probably think it was a good idea.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We didn't go to Afghanistan to help them, we went there to destroy the Al Qaeda camps, and their leadership. Any president would have hit them. You are being a Monday morning QB by saying we should never have gone there. Staying there halfheartedly while invading Iraq is when it became a wast of time and money.
If, I said IF, such camps are found to be a direct threat to US citizens, use bombs and missiles.

I can even see inserting troops to complete very specific missions, but Bush decided to occupy.

Then again, I'm not a war hawk.

Such interesting times when liberals justify our troops occupying other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies