Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:51 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times

Advertisements

Let me put it this way. Feminism is good. Women should be able to make it through the world without such a heavy dependency on men. You never know what can happen. Men sometimes leave marriages. Men sometimes die. Women may want to do it alone. This is the way that America is.

However, while the ability of a woman to earn a living is a good thing, a less savory group has taken over the feminist movement. The women's movement is now being characterized as butch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Actually there would be less poverty and income inequality if higher income people married lower income people. Like how it used to be when there was a solid middle class and a mom could stay at home and nurture the children. Now they form power couples and nurture the Weimaraner. On weekends.

You may call them a power couple, but in today's world of frequent layoffs, their unity is more important than ever.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:03 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Let me put it this way. Feminism is good. Women should be able to make it through the world without such a heavy dependency on men. You never know what can happen. Men sometimes leave marriages. Men sometimes die. Women may want to do it alone. This is the way that America is.

However, while the ability of a woman to earn a living is a good thing, a less savory group has taken over the feminist movement. The women's movement is now being characterized as butch.
How very white of you.

Who gives a flip about new wave militant outlier feminists? Stop seeking them out on line and viewing their you tube videos. Problem solved.
And meanwhile in the real world people go to college to get an education in order to get a career in their field of choice. And those people, men, women, and in between generally get along great. They form friendships, date, hook up and sometimes marry. And life goes on.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Actually there would be less poverty and income inequality if higher income people married lower income people. Like how it used to be when there was a solid middle class and a mom could stay at home and nurture the children. Now they form power couples and nurture the Weimaraner. On weekends.
When there was a solid middle class and mom stayed home with the kids, those were still couples who were of the same economic class level when they met and married, just like today, but more women remain in the work force than they did back then. As well the pay scales are equal now, were back in the day career opportunities and pay were lower for women.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When there was a solid middle class and mom stayed home with the kids, those were still couples who were of the same economic class level when they met and married, just like today, but more women remain in the work force than they did back then. As well the pay scales are equal now, were back in the day career opportunities and pay were lower for women.
Nope. Men would marry women who would be good wives and mothers. My mom was proposed to by a man from a very wealthy family, she was daughter of poor immigrants. I've certainly dated men from different educational and economic levels and my friends have married outside of theirs.

Heck even today men are going out of the country to find women to marry, they aren't looking for a degree or earning power, they want a woman who wants a family and can boil an egg.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:47 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Mini-rape?
I think horses should be off limits even if they are mini horses! Mini rape is dispicable!😁

Old 09-12-2019, 12:18 PM

12 posts, read 6,458 times
Mini rape is a new word

Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Give me a break. If you want to talk fail, Let's talk about Gillebrands failed bid for the Presidency. If you look at her candidacy closely she would be President of half of the population. She caused the resignation of Al Franken, and while he was replaced by a Democrat, she doesn't have any of Franken's charisma. It's no longer a safe seat.
You can't even stay on topic in your own thread?

Thread fail to the max.

Quote:
The women's movement is now being characterized as butch.
By you, perhaps. To anyone with the ability to think for themselves and process information critically, not so much.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
How very white of you.

Thank you. My particular ethnic group led Europe out of the Dark Ages and ruled the known world when Christ walked the Earth.

Quote:
Who gives a flip about new wave militant outlier feminists? Stop seeking them out on line and viewing their you tube videos. Problem solved.
And meanwhile in the real world people go to college to get an education in order to get a career in their field of choice. And those people, men, women, and in between generally get along great. They form friendships, date, hook up and sometimes marry. And life goes on.

I will assure you that I did not search the internet to come up with anything. Bill Maher said it this past Friday night. Perhaps this is part of an overall effort by our not so liberal media to malign the women's movement so that they can continue to under pay them.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Nope. Men would marry women who would be good wives and mothers. My mom was proposed to by a man from a very wealthy family, she was daughter of poor immigrants. I've certainly dated men from different educational and economic levels and my friends have married outside of theirs.

Heck even today men are going out of the country to find women to marry, they aren't looking for a degree or earning power, they want a woman who wants a family and can boil an egg.
You parents were not the norm though and of course there will be those who cross socioeconomic and class lines. The neighborhood I grew up in 60-70's consisted of families where husband and wife were on the same economic range level prior to marriage. Everything I have read and my own experience tells me that was norm in the past for middle class families. Assortative marriages are on the rise though.

Class has nothing to do with being a good wife or mother. Women were expected to stay home and take care of the family then even if they had a career prior to marriage or especially pregnancy. Not so today. Your assessment is rather broad. People want different things from a relationship and marriage. Some choose a more traditional marriage where others prefer a two income marriage.
And mail order brides are nothing new. Some men prefer a submissive dependent wife or just cant attract a mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies