Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:02 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times

Advertisements

An attempt for free money after the fact.

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 06:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Progressive-liberal here.

No benefits for thee.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I disagree. She brought the child into this world well after her husband died. It was her decision to have a child she couldn't support. Why would the taxpayers be on the hook? How about when she has 10 of her dead husbands children? Do we support all of them as well? I believe we should support the children of officers killed in the line of duty but NOT those conceived after the officer has died.
Why do you assume she brought a child into the world she couldn't support.
What she is applying for is social security supplemental income or survivors benefits which is an automatic assistance for children and sometimes spouses when a parent/spouse dies. It amounts to 75% of what that parent would be able to draw in SS benefits. If Officer Ramos (the other slain officer) had children they were automatically eligible to receive SSI upon his death regardless of their mothers income.

The Luis' were married 3 months prior to his death, so no real time within the marriage to have children. The NY inheritance law limits the amount of time for birth for which a child can receive the benefit to being born within 33 months of death. The article stated Ms. Lui met the requirement of 33 months, but not the other 2 requirements, a signed consent (hard to do dead) with 2 witnesses and court filing. If she did have 10 children from his frozen sperm those children would not be eligible.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why do you assume she brought a child into the world she couldn't support.
What she is applying for is social security supplemental income or survivors benefits which is an automatic assistance for children and sometimes spouses when a parent/spouse dies. It amounts to 75% of what that parent would be able to draw in SS benefits. If Officer Ramos (the other slain officer) had children they were automatically eligible to receive SSI upon his death regardless of their mothers income.

The Luis' were married 3 months prior to his death, so no real time within the marriage to have children. The NY inheritance law limits the amount of time for birth for which a child can receive the benefit to being born within 33 months of death. The article stated Ms. Lui met the requirement of 33 months, but not the other 2 requirements, a signed consent (hard to do dead) with 2 witnesses and court filing. If she did have 10 children from his frozen sperm those children would not be eligible.
The 33 month thing seems a bit absurd no? Unless they did something like this (frozen sperm) it wouldn't even be their child 33 months later, there would be a new biological father. Then you have the fraud, which this clearly was an attempt at. What if the husband didn't want kids? It's ok for the wife to say, "good he's dead, let's go get some of his sperm so I can collect survivor benefits for the kid he didn't even want"? I would think this wouldn't be allowed due to the ability to defraud SS.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The 33 month thing seems a bit absurd no? Unless they did something like this (frozen sperm) it wouldn't even be their child 33 months later, there would be a new biological father. Then you have the fraud, which this clearly was an attempt at. What if the husband didn't want kids? It's ok for the wife to say, "good he's dead, let's go get some of his sperm so I can collect survivor benefits for the kid he didn't even want"? I would think this wouldn't be allowed due to the ability to defraud SS.
DNA test would stop any fraud of that kind. This is not a situation where fraud was intended or this woman was out to defraud SS. I believe she just wanted a child, her husbands child. Thats a lot of crap to go through, collecting, freezing sperm, artificial insemination, pregnancy and single motherhood to get a measly SSI check, ~800/month.

I have no idea about the 33 month thing. I assume it is because new technology and couples freezing sperm and embryos for later use becoming more common. IDK.
The reason she was denied is because she didnt have the consent forms. I think this is a rare situation though and deserves more consideration. The couple was only married 3 months. Only she knows if they planned to have children. He died suddenly and tragically and the sperm was taken upon his death so no way to get the consent. (How was the sperm taken without his consent?). I would assume generally a consent form for fertilization or implantation would be signed by the father at the time of harvest.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Her husband was killed in the line of duty as a police officer....

She IMO should get the benefits.
She wasn’t pregnant when he died. There is no reason why the tax payers should be on the hook for this. However....feel free to write her a check out of your account if you feel so strongly about it

Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
DNA test would stop any fraud of that kind. This is not a situation where fraud was intended or this woman was out to defraud SS. I believe she just wanted a child, her husbands child. Thats a lot of crap to go through, collecting, freezing sperm, artificial insemination, pregnancy and single motherhood to get a measly SSI check, ~800/month.

I have no idea about the 33 month thing. I assume it is because new technology and couples freezing sperm and embryos for later use becoming more common. IDK.
The reason she was denied is because she didnt have the consent forms. I think this is a rare situation though and deserves more consideration. The couple was only married 3 months. Only she knows if they planned to have children. He died suddenly and tragically and the sperm was taken upon his death so no way to get the consent. (How was the sperm taken without his consent?). I would assume generally a consent form for fertilization or implantation would be signed by the father at the time of harvest.
I don't see anyone alive freezing their own sperm though for later use by their spouse. Just have the kid. I definitely see the need for a consent, she basically stole his sperm without his permission. I'm surprised they let her do it without it to be honest. If someone wants to have this ability in a situation like this there needs to be a living will and the consent given in there. If she wasn't after the benefits she wouldn't have went after them like she did. I guarantee you it was one of her priorities. I'm not saying she did the entire thing for money but she did it thinking she would also get the benefits. She looked at as a win win for her. What's going to be telling is how hard she fights the denial.

EDIT to add:

Why did she wait 3 years? It looks a lot like she didn't want to be pregnant while she spent up the life insurance money and lived high on the hog, now that it's probably wiped out she pulled this stunt. I wouldn't doubt that for one second.

Last edited by Dbones; 09-13-2019 at 11:12 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I don't see anyone alive freezing their own sperm though for later use by their spouse. Just have the kid and 33 months after death there's a good chance there would be no DNA to test against in a lot of cases. I definitely see the need for a consent, she basically stole his sperm without his permission. I'm surprised they let her do it without it to be honest. If someone wants to have this ability in a situation like this there needs to be a living will and the consent given in there. If she wasn't after the benefits she wouldn't have went after them like she did. I guarantee you it was one of her priorities. I'm not saying she did the entire thing for money but she did it thinking she would also get the benefits. She looked at as a win win for her. What's going to be telling is how hard she fights the denial.

EDIT to add:

Why did she wait 3 years? It looks a lot like she didn't want to be pregnant while she spent up the life insurance money and lived high on the hog, now that it's probably wiped out she pulled this stunt. I wouldn't doubt that for one second.
You are not aware of the growing industry of freezing sperm and embryos for later use? Why else would the law allow 33 months for conception? Google it.
Often there is DNA stored on file if a person ever had surgery or medical procedures. I really doubt this is a big scam operation fleecing SSI through artificial insemination with frozen sperm..

Well we dont know if there was a verbal agreement or if they had planned on having children. I really doubt her husband would have objected. I would be surprised medical staff did the extraction without his consent which leads me to believe he gave it verbally before his death.

Come on, we have no idea how much life insurance she got, how much the funeral expense was, how much debt they had. How much do you carry?
She lost her husband to a murder unexpectedly. IDK why she waited. Maybe was grieving, maybe had doubts, maybe wanted to wait until she was in a better position. SSI payments are not going to let her live the life of luxury. When my husband passed (suicide) we had two small children. I was working, always have, it was the funeral director who counseled me to apply for SSI. For two kids I got less than 300/month. This was 1984. It paid the rent. I still had to work to support the kids. I worked and got my BS so I could provide a better life for them. It would have been much easier to have a partner or have no kids at all.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
She wasn’t pregnant when he died. There is no reason why the tax payers should be on the hook for this. However....feel free to write her a check out of your account if you feel so strongly about it
The inheritance laws that affect SSI eligibility allow for conception up to 33 months after the death of a spouse.

I always wonder why children can receive disability. Its not like they would have a job so why should the tax payers pay them because they are disabled to work when children dont work anyway.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:06 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
I have no problem if someone wants to use my sperm should I die before 40. However, I would want to make sure that I sign the legal papers to do so. In addition, I would sanctions to be already in place should said person obtain my seed illegally and/or use it for something illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies