Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 12:10 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The 2nd paragraph was also part of Biden's same response during the debate.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-crime-1493732

“The fact of the matter is that what's happened is that we're in a situation now where there are so many people who are in jail and shouldn't be in jail. The whole means by which this should change is to — the model has to change,” he said, adding: “Nobody should be in jail for a nonviolent crime.”

Biden then pointed out the number of commutations that took place when he was vice president, arguing that “nobody should be in jail for a drug problem” and that drug abusers should instead be in rehabilitation centers.
Agreed, but the concept should also be expanded to corral and control the behavior of the irresponsible faux "homeless" who have made the streets of what once were some of our finest cities uninhabitable. Chronic vagrancy and open panhandling used to be regarded as crimes -- and still should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 12:12 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
He better hurry, felicity Huffman is up for sentencing.

Hillary will appreciate the offer.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:17 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
All the Trump 2020 campaign needs to do is roll footage of three things in his re-election ads.

1) Uncle Joe’s pro-criminal statement from last night
2) All candidates raising their hands to give illegals healthcare in the first debate
3) pro-terrorist statements made by various members of the squad

This is going to be too easy. The country is safe for 6 more years!!
Anyone who is dumb enough to vote for Dotard is voting for him even if there's live film of him massacring babies. That much is clear.

And yeah, everyone expects absurd/false, smears, like you detail above. Trump is a criminal, so no one is gonna vote against Biden because he said something against mass-incarceration and pro-drug treatment, any decent person wants immigrants to have some access to health care (after all, Melania has free health care, and she came illegally), and Trump is already in bed with terrorists like Putin, the Saudis and the NRA.

Biden will win, by a double-digit margin. And I'm an Independent. That's why Trumpies are so crazed about Biden. They know he's gonna dominate among moderate voters.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:20 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
At the third Democratic primary debate in Houston, Biden offered the response as part of a defense of his criminal justice record, though he appeared to be referring to serving time for nonviolent drug offenses rather than suggesting that white-collar criminals should, too, serve no jail time for their crimes.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-crime-1493732

I
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-13-2019, 12:28 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No, he didn't say that.

Biden said that once a felon has done his time, he should get all of his civil rights back. He should be allowed to vote again, to own property, and everything else.

Because the felon has paid the penalty and is now free, but not really free at all. He will continue to pay for his crime for the rest of his life because he is denied all the freedoms the rest of us enjoy.

I suggest you think about that. I don't know many felons, but I know a couple; they both served their sentences, and once freed, never committed another crime in their lives, but were never able to vote, no matter how upstanding they were.

Parole is intended to be the time period when a felon can prove he's now an honest citizen once more and won't re-offend. If parole is successful, then why should any of his freedoms that were denied not be restored to him?

So does someone ever deserve a second chance, or not? Is suspicion permitted to overcome facts?

If it is, then why not sentence all criminals to life sentences behind bars for all offenses? That's the only way possible to remove all suspicion the criminal won't re-offend.

The suspicion also indicates the person who suspects another is basically unable to take care of himself. He's depending on the government to take care of him instead.

Sure, any felon warrants some suspicion once released.

But if the guy stays honest, why should he continue to be punished forever? Is prison intended to be for rehabilitation or for only punishment?
^^^ that's exactly the problem with liberals....they don't have their listening ears on. Just want to hear what they want to hear!

Use a search engine and you can hear Biden say it very clearly! No non violent crime should be punishable to jail time!

Just rob a bank and hold up a sign that they get robbed and it is not violent since you asked...maybe Biden will give you a free vacation with a joint as reward.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
^^^ that's exactly the problem with liberals....they don't have their listening ears on. Just want to hear what they want to hear!
Biden isn't a liberal, and he very clearly outlined that he wanted drug treatment for nonviolent offenders, which is hardly an extreme position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Just rob a bank and hold up a sign that they get robbed and it is not violent since you asked...maybe Biden will give you a free vacation with a joint as reward.
This is all dumb. A bank robbery is a violent act and has nothing do with drug treatment. And no one who cares about looted banks is gonna vote for a grifter like Dotard, who is actually looting the U.S. Treasury as we speak.

There are very good odds that Trump will face prison time following his Presidency, thanks to the great state of NY. If you support him you should probably support alternatives to incarceration for non-violent offenders, as he might be joining his campaign chairman and associates behind bars.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Bernie Madoff must be thrilled!

Old 09-13-2019, 12:32 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No, he didn't say that.

Biden said that once a felon has done his time, he should get all of his civil rights back. He should be allowed to vote again, to own property, and everything else.

Because the felon has paid the penalty and is now free, but not really free at all. He will continue to pay for his crime for the rest of his life because he is denied all the freedoms the rest of us enjoy.

I suggest you think about that. I don't know many felons, but I know a couple; they both served their sentences, and once freed, never committed another crime in their lives, but were never able to vote, no matter how upstanding they were.

Parole is intended to be the time period when a felon can prove he's now an honest citizen once more and won't re-offend. If parole is successful, then why should any of his freedoms that were denied not be restored to him?

So does someone ever deserve a second chance, or not? Is suspicion permitted to overcome facts?

If it is, then why not sentence all criminals to life sentences behind bars for all offenses? That's the only way possible to remove all suspicion the criminal won't re-offend.

The suspicion also indicates the person who suspects another is basically unable to take care of himself. He's depending on the government to take care of him instead.

Sure, any felon warrants some suspicion once released.

But if the guy stays honest, why should he continue to be punished forever? Is prison intended to be for rehabilitation or for only punishment?
Spoken like a true Leftist. Banjomike, I heard him say it for myself and most if not all the idiots in the audience cheered him for his statement. Sorry, I trust my ears far more than I trust the Left for doing the right thing for America.

If you think things are bad now, wait till the Dems get into power and put several of these failed ideals into practice.... If a crook knows he/she will not go to jail, they will take full advantage of this until even all the Leftist comes back to their senses... Plus, most crooks and thugs I've dealt with for over 25 years prefer to "target" the Leftist or Left leaning population since most will comply and not resist.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post

If you think things are bad now, wait till the Dems get into power and put several of these failed ideals into practice.... If a crook knows he/she will not go to jail, they will take full advantage of this until even all the Leftist comes back to their senses... Plus, most crooks and thugs I've dealt with for over 25 years prefer to "target" the Leftist or Left leaning population since most will comply and not resist.
Prison time isn't free. So in order to put more people in prison, how shall we raise your taxes, so more and more prisons can be built? Maybe we can eventually incarcerate our way out of crime by bringing it down to really feel safe low levels. But once again prison time doesn't come free.

If you want people in prison caught in possession of illegal drugs, there better be a better to keep drugs out of prisons. Or prisoners in for drugs will only come out saying drugs were just as freely available in there as on the outside.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:50 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
BREAKING NEWS: Biden supports release of Paul Manafort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies