Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,709,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Yet the standard of living is much higher in Singapore than the US overall. Plus it is much safer to live in Singapore The lifestyle that Singaporeans enjoy is only available in gated communities in USA.
Well of course it is safer- it is a dictatorship!

What is legal in Colorado or will get you a summons in New York City will get you hanged in Singapore.

Good grief ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 08:42 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,842,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

What is legal in Colorado or will get you a summons in New York City will get you hanged in Singapore.

Good grief ...
Please, Have you ever been there? No I didn't think so.

Word to the wise. Don't violate laws in other countries. They dont give a damn about SJWs or that you hate your parents.

I go there at least twice a year. I drink, I party and have a blast. What I dont do is smuggle drugs, vandalize property or commit violent crimes. Then again I dont do those things in the USA either.

If you can't live your life without doing those things then you deserve what happens.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Please, Have you ever been there? No I didn't think so.

Word to the wise. Don't violate laws in other countries. They dont give a damn about SJWs or that you hate your parents.

I go there at least twice a year. I drink, I party and have a blast. What I dont do is smuggle drugs, vandalize property or commit violent crimes. Then again I dont do those things in the USA either.

If you can't live your life without doing those things then you deserve what happens.
I cannot believe it matters.

I have never been to Zimbabwe, but am quite certain it is not pleasant. I have never met the Klan, but am quite sure they are a rather unpleasant bunch. I have never had sex with JLo, but am quite certain it would be very enjoyable.

Personally, I like my freedoms, warts and all. I am not willing to trade them for more safety.

Singaporeans, as you all but proclaim, are willing to engage in that trade off. Hence the term, "Consensus Dictatorship. Good for them.

So you go there to party. Oh boy. Real intellectual activity that.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,912,819 times
LOL. This stuff would go over real well here in the US.

16 odd things that are illegal in Singapore

Old 09-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
LOL. This stuff would go over real well here in the US.

16 odd things that are illegal in Singapore
Not to mention that they have censored publications such as The Economist and the Wall Street Journal.

Yea I want that system here!

Old 09-13-2019, 09:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,557,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Ok. Has the OP ever visited Singapore?

I have and I do at least twice a year. I love it there, although it is expensive.

The left would never settle for how Singapore does things. You litter, vandalize private property, you spit on the side walk, you will get punished and they dont give a damn what your excuse is. You will get caned and you will be publicly shamed.

Smuggle, sell, or get caught with narcotics and you get to die for it.

I love Singapore. Clean and green and safe. Just dont be a scum bag and litter, or feel its ok to steal.

Most Liberals wouldn't last a month there. They dont cuddle their criminals, make excuses for them to offer free passes because daddy was a Dick head.
Like in most of the developed world, firearms in Singapore are a privilege, not a right. People don’t hunt in Singapore. Sport shooting is not thing. Self defense is not an issue because crime is low.

The population is mostly unarmed. Harsh Punishments for possession of an unlicensed firearm or use of a firearm to commit a crime. It’s a very different scenario than that which exists in the US with nearly 400,000 firearms in circulation, owned by about 30 % of the adult population.

The rate of firearm possession in the US is about 120 per 100 capita. Countries with high personal gun possession rates tend to have higher rates of gun violence. That’s the price of freedom. There is no reasonable way to change the trajectory in the US.

Countries that impose the harshest consequences for possession/ trafficking of recreational drugs, don’t have drug cultures and related crimes. Before anyone brings up Portugal, be aware all recreational drugs, including marijuana, are illegal. Portugal views recreational drugs as a public health challenge. The government pays for treatment and Methadone Treatment for Opiate addiction. Trafficking and possession of quantities beyond a small personal use are treated as crimes.

Singapore has a Universal Healthcare System and relies on a mix of private and public delivery systems. It is viewed as one of the most efficient in the world. Every income earner is required to contribute 8-10% of their gross income to medical savings accounts. A safety net exists when the account is depleted. Means testing subsidies are available. There is an ongoing trend away from general hospitals towards poly clinics- specialized hospitals.

Personal responsibility is huge in Singapore. It seems the culture grasps that individual actions/ behaviors have an impact on the whole.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,557,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Good grief ...
Not a dictatorship.

It’s a multi- party representative democracy. The people elect representatives to legislate.

The culture puts an emphasis on personal responsibility. The population seems to grasps that individual behaviors have an impact on the whole.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not a dictatorship.

It’s a multi- party representative democracy. The people elect representatives to legislate.

The culture puts an emphasis on personal responsibility. The population seems to grasps that individual behaviors have an impact on the whole.
Sure. And mainland China is a "Peoples Republic".

But Mussolini made the trains run on time ...

Old 09-13-2019, 10:23 AM

25,407 posts, read 17,087,868 times
I've never been. But I sure admire the no nonsense way they live.
I thought I was going once. I had been assigned a sales territory covering the Eastern Rim and was to be based in Singapore. I was excited about the opportunity, but funding fell through, so I never got to go.

It's a different world, from what I learned.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:27 AM

8,424 posts, read 6,801,926 times
Generally it is a multicultural success story. The government promotes cultural, racial and religious harmony. Things work out pretty well although there are some vestiges of prejudice just under the surface. For instance there is some resentment against mainland Chinese immigrants.

And the Indian population has faced some problems assimilating over the years. One of my wife’s Chinese relatives married a person of Indian descent to the disapproval of the relatives. The Indian gentleman legally changed his name years ago because he thought he wouldn’t get ahead in business with his original name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies