Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 05:49 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I cannot believe it matters.

I have never been to Zimbabwe, but am quite certain it is not pleasant. I have never met the Klan, but am quite sure they are a rather unpleasant bunch. I have never had sex with JLo, but am quite certain it would be very enjoyable.

Personally, I like my freedoms, warts and all. I am not willing to trade them for more safety.

Singaporeans, as you all but proclaim, are willing to engage in that trade off. Hence the term, "Consensus Dictatorship. Good for them.

So you go there to party. Oh boy. Real intellectual activity that.
So you haven't been there but feel qualified to judge it. How very American of you. Let me guess you learned all about it on CNN or Wikpedia.

LOL I go there because it is one of the cleanest and safest countries in the world. The food is outstanding and the people are warm and welcoming.

What freedoms do you fear losing? The right to steal? Vandalize other people's property? Smuggle drugs? I ask because these things are crimes in every country I have ever been to and I travel a lot.

I will admit that it is almost impossible to get away with criminal activity there, it is the most watched city/state in the world.

The police are friendly and helpful. The only people with anything to be afraid of are those committing crimes.

I'll put it in perspective. It isn't a Utopia as such places don't exist, but if I am spending my money visit a city and have to chose. I'll only compare it to US cities I have been to in the last 10 years.
Singapore or Chicago? Singapore wins. Singapore or DC? Singapore wins. Singapore or Baltimore? Singapore wins. Newark? LA? San francisco? Singapore wins. Singapore or Da Lat Vietnam? Im going to Vietnam.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 09-13-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 06:04 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Can you explain when the US in the past was over 75% white, how come there were more serious racial tensions then? Plus a higher number of white people wanted only Whites and not other races to live in their neighborhood?
"Whites (including Non-Hispanic Whites) have historically made up the overwhelming majority (usually between eighty and ninety percent) of the total United States population.[5] The United States historically had few Hispanics, Asians, and Native Americans, especially before the late twentieth century".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States

The only racial tensions there were was mainly between whites and blacks. I couldn't care less about race really. I care about retaining our identifying culture and language and not have some minority cultures take over especially via illegal immigration.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"Whites (including Non-Hispanic Whites) have historically made up the overwhelming majority (usually between eighty and ninety percent) of the total United States population.[5] The United States historically had few Hispanics, Asians, and Native Americans, especially before the late twentieth century".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States

The only racial tensions there were was mainly between whites and blacks. I couldn't care less about race really. I care about retaining our identifying culture and language and not have some minority cultures take over especially via illegal immigration.
New Mexico, Texas and California always had a lot of Hispanics. New Mexico has always had a Hispanic Majority. There were also Jim Crow Laws on non-White Hispanics as well. There were neighborhoods, beaches, and schools that were forbidden by Hispanic non-whites t settle. I guess people like you see that as the good old days and wish those days where Blacks and non-White Hispanics know their place.

Since you are mentioning Native Americans, they were forced off their traditional lands, and whole tribes were forced to move very far away from their traditional homelands to make way for Whites. Those Native Americans that resisted were either killed off or treated very harshly.

Meanwhile, there are 4 official languages in Singapore. It's not a big deal and it has worked there.

Meanwhile, there are posters that complain about Muslim immigrants in American cities, yet their sheer numbers are not as high percentage as the percentage of Muslims in Singapore. Not even New York City or Detroit or Minneapolis a high percentage of Muslims as they have in Singapore. Yet Singapore functions very well even though it has a lot of Muslims.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
New Mexico, Texas and California always had a lot of Hispanics. New Mexico has always had a Hispanic Majority. There were also Jim Crow Laws on non-White Hispanics as well. There were neighborhoods, beaches, and schools that were forbidden by Hispanic non-whites t settle. I guess people like you see that as the good old days and wish those days where Blacks and non-White Hispanics know their place.

Since you are mentioning Native Americans, they were forced off their traditional lands, and whole tribes were forced to move very far away from their traditional homelands to make way for Whites. Those Native Americans that resisted were either killed off or treated very harshly.

Meanwhile, there are 4 official languages in Singapore. It's not a big deal and it has worked there.

Meanwhile, there are posters that complain about Muslim immigrants in American cities, yet their sheer numbers are not as high percentage as the percentage of Muslims in Singapore. Not even New York City or Detroit or Minneapolis a high percentage of Muslims as they have in Singapore. Yet Singapore functions very well even though it has a lot of Muslims.
So what? You claimed that whites never had a 75% majority or more. I proved you wrong with a link. Regardless of any Hispanic populations in the southwest we aren't known to be a Hispanic country in identity, culturally or linguistically. No, I don't see any discrimination of the past as being "the good old days" so stuff your race card where the sun don't shine. I'm not a racist in anyway shape or form. My best friend is black.

There is nothing racist about wanting to retain our country's identifying culture and language and not wanting to lose it via too much legal immigration and especially not through illegal immigration.

The conflicts between the Amerindians and the early settlers has nothing to do with what we are discussing either. Those people are all dead now and has nothing to do with those of us alive today. The Amerindians were not native to this country/continent either. They migrated here just as the Europeans did.

It's the radical Muslims we fear and rightly so, not peaceful Muslims.

You keep yammering about the minorities that live in Singapore and yet percentage wise they are 75% Chinese so what's your point as you seem to keep missing the point that I made.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
So what? You claimed that whites never had a 75% majority or more. I proved you wrong with a link. Regardless of any Hispanic populations in the southwest we aren't known to be a Hispanic country in identity, culturally or linguistically. No, I don't see any discrimination of the past as being "the good old days" so stuff your race card where the sun don't shine. I'm not a racist in anyway shape or form. My best friend is black.

There is nothing racist about wanting to retain our country's identifying culture and language and not wanting to lose it via too much legal immigration and especially not through illegal immigration.

The conflicts between the Amerindians and the early settlers has nothing to do with what we are discussing either. Those people are all dead now and has nothing to do with those of us alive today. The Amerindians were not native to this country/continent either. They migrated here just as the Europeans did.

It's the radical Muslims we fear and rightly so, not peaceful Muslims.

You keep yammering about the minorities that live in Singapore and yet percentage wise they are 75% Chinese so what's your point as you seem to keep missing the point that I made.
Yet Trump and there are posters here state there are no go areas in places such as London and Paris due to the number of Muslims. How do you explain that since Singapore has a similar proportion of Muslims there?

Old 09-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Yet Trump and there are posters here state there are no go areas in places such as London and Paris due to the number of Muslims. How do you explain that since Singapore has a similar proportion of Muslims there?
Then it must be because those particular Muslims have proven to be a detriment to those societies. There are radical Muslims and peaceful Muslims. I already stated that before.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
People keep saying 75% of Singapore is Chinese but that equivalent of saying 92% of Europe is European it should be one country.

Singaporean Chinese even though they make up 75% of the populations re made up fo several different waves of Chinese migration from different regions of China which are more culturally apart than the Pacific NW and Louisiana. Take in mind Singapore had a large Chinese population of pre-cultural revolution Chinese who have no idea about concepts related to Communism and still have cultural aspects that weren’t purged by post-Mao China. Not to mention them being heavily anglicized. Mixed with newer immigrants from modern China every year since independence. Saying something like 75% of them are White is like pretending that Amish and the general WASP population have the exact same values by virtue of both being German/British/Irish descended Americans. Culturally Black Americans- White Americans have more similarities alone linguistically and religiously than a Chinese Singaporean. So already within the 75% Chinese majority their are obvious differences. Then their are Malays and Indians who are so far geographically from each other that anyone who thinks they have the same culture on the basis of being Asian needs to go back to High School. Culture isn’t race and never has been. It might make sense in the sense of oh, Europeans have massive shared cultural history because of Rome conquering the majority at one point of Europe, so now Europeans as a whole are very culturally similar compared to other continents barring The Americas. But their was no Rome in Asia and so Indian and Malay and Chinese cultures are so different from each other that north India likely has more in common with Europe culturally than China. Now Malay have heavy trading influence with India and in the last 500 years China, similar to North Africa/Middle East and Europe but you can’t claim their cultures are even in the same sphere. Asian culture doesn’t exist in the same way European culture does. Now it can be argued that South Asian and East Asian culture exists but to claim that Indians, Malays and Chinese who all follow 3-5 different religions within Singapore are the same is just preposterous.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Then it must be because those particular Muslims have proven to be a detriment to those societies. There are radical Muslims and peaceful Muslims. I already stated that before.
Can you tell me what made Singapore not experience the same problems with Islamic radicals as Paris and London and to this day there are no terrorist incidents in Singapore?

Singapore is not perfect but there are good aspects of that society where the West can learn from.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, at least 97% of Singaporeans are Asians who have a similar culture to one another.

That is not very multicultural.
Uh no. The Asian groups in Singapore have distinct and different cultures. That's like saying Western Europe has a similar culture.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Can you explain when the US in the past was over 75% white, how come there were more serious racial tensions then? Plus a higher number of white people wanted only Whites and not other races to live in their neighborhood?
Not to mention that Ulster or Northern Ireland's population is all pretty much Caucasian, but they've fought over religion - or for political and economic jockeying based on their faith groups.

Being homogenous in culture didn't prevent Koreans from rivalry or fighting over provincial lines (e.g. Kyungsang vs. Cholla).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies