Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
You're so full of crap. Exercise is key to maintaining a healthy weight and attitudes and habits have definitely changed. Stop the BS. I see it with my own eyes.
I provided you a link to a study that said exercise does not do much for weight loss. Did you even attempt to read it? It appears not.

In fact, this is so firmly established I could go on forever with links. Here you go:

Why exercise won't make you lose weight
5 REASONS YOU SHOULD EXERCISE, EVEN IF IT DOESN’T HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT
Exercise LESS To Lose MORE Weight
Exercise Is Good for You, But Does It Really Affect Weight Loss?
Why doing more exercise won't help you burn more calories
The Myth of Exercise, Metabolism and Weight Loss

And so on, and so forth.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Middle of nowhere type places don't tend to have safe extensive bike routes. And there are areas that are further than 5 miles away to the nearest grocery store. If someone has a job and kids, expecting them to bike at least 10+ miles daily round trip (because a bag of fresh produce won't feed a family for more than a day) on unsafe roads is unrealistic.

Basically, for most people to stay skinny in those places requires extreme levels of willpower, not a standard human level of willpower that would be required elsewhere.

OK, this is rare and most sane people, who live in areas where they have to occasionally go shopping for various items, just kinda factor that in to their life. You live in an area like that, you can only blame yourself for not being prepared.

If you live off junk and get fat, you have only yourself to blame.....food desert is just another excuse among kazillions.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:06 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,126 times
this thread reeks of geographic stereotyping

Old 09-17-2019, 04:08 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've lived in one before, where the only food around was from crappy corner stores. The type that has a broader variety of Slim Jims than fresh produce (which was generally limited to wilted iceberg lettuce and mushy bruised apples and bananas). If you don't have a car, as I didn't, your diet is limited to what that corner store has.

The only reason I stayed thin is because of genetics.

Food deserts are absolutely a factor.
Soak wilted lettuce in ice water for 30 minutes to revive it. Cut out bruises from apples, or drizzle some butter and brown sugar on over ripe apples and warm them up. Make smoothie or banana chips out of mushy bananas. So many ways to cope with a challenge.

Stop looking up (to God or government) for answers- solutions are at our fingertips, learn it live it and pass it on...

Seems like too many want it all done for them.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Judging by her size, yep she practices what she preaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Nobody wanted the food. The key is balance, and portion control. Michelle didn't practice any of what she preached. Total hypocrite.
How do you figure that? She certainly kept her weight under control in the WH and keeps it under control post-WH.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:32 PM

412 posts, read 145,491 times
LOL, America in 1981 was anorexic compared to now.

Why single out West Virginia

Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
1. People are no more or less disciplined now than they were 30-40 years ago.
2. It has been proven that exercise does little to help loose weight.

People who keep saying there is some sort of behavior difference now compared to just 30 years ago don't seem to be much older than 30 years. Of if they are, they aren't very observant.

In summary:

-- Exercise makes little difference for weight gain/loss (though to be sure there are other health benefits of exercising).
-- People's laziness, eating behaviors, etc are little or no different than they were 30 years ago. Things like that simply do not change much in 30 years. Come back to me in 100 years and maybe we can talk.

"Once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever's left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Once you realize that exercise makes little or no difference, and once you realize that attitudes and habits aren't much different, and once you realize that what we eat isn't all that different, what is left?

There is only 1 thing left I can think of: The same things we're eating now that we were 30 years ago is somehow different.

Ounce for ounce, it adds more weight than the same thing 30 years ago. I already alluded to one of those things (the plastics issue).

In the exercise section there was recently a discussion on another factor: It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the ’80s.
I agree with you regarding there is something else going on to cause the weight gain all over the country.

The corporate industrial food producers and they crap they are putting in food are the true culprits. Not only is it fattening but it's also an appetite stimulant (what they're feeding the animals - most Americans eat animals and animal products). The govt could place restrictions corporate food producers limiting what they can feed the animals and banning all growth hormones and growth stimulants. But the govt won't do it...wonder why.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 PM

Trump being a fatass is the only problem I have with him

Old 09-17-2019, 09:40 PM

Because I think the leader of the free world shouldnt be a fat slob with how obese this country is.

When thats my only problem with the president, hes doing a good job.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:41 PM

Thats the only, and I mean only area where Dubya and Obama have him beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies