Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your position on "climate change"?
I don't believe in climate change. 23 8.52%
I believe in climate change, but not that humans are the majority cause. 115 42.59%
I believe in climate change and that people are the primary cause. 106 39.26%
I don't have enough evidence to arrive at a conclusion. 26 9.63%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 AM

858 posts, read 681,572 times

Advertisements

I simply do not understand all this back and forth arguing.

It is blatantly apparent that weather patterns are changing for the worse. It matters little who or what is to blame, but only what can be done to help lessen the impact and adapt to our new reality.

I see no reason why trying everything we can to make the world a cleaner place to live is such a volatile subject.

I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum is the owner of a major energy company or for that matter a politician or lobbyist.

So why are we all auguring??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:16 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzinggoo2 View Post
Don't give a crap, past my cell by date.
When is your sentencing hearing ?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:20 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post

It is blatantly apparent that weather patterns are changing for the worse. It matters little who or what is to blame, but only what can be done to help lessen the impact and adapt to our new reality.

I see no reason why trying everything we can to make the world a cleaner place to live is such a volatile subject.

I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum is the owner of a major energy company or for that matter a politician or lobbyist.

Your missing the point. No one is for a dirty environment. Everyone want clean water and air.

The point is... politics and politicians corrupt science and create more problems than the fix. Example... electric cars. Do you want to have a discussion about what it would take to support a 5 year or 10 year change over to just electric cars in the US?

Do you know how much a TW is? and that we (the US) would need 1600 TW of additional power for electric cars?
Do you know how long it takes to build power plants?
Do you know power plants emit more pollutants than cars for an equal number of watts?
Do you know power providers must keep a 20% spinning reserve "just in case"? Most of us don't let our cars idle till we use it the next time.
Do you know green power is unreliable? and most green energy individual hate nuclear? which is EXTREMELY reliable.
Do you know nuclear has no measurable emissions?

Shall we have a discussion?

Old 09-17-2019, 11:33 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post

the arguing comes from the "pro" people (usually liberals) who are so egoistical that they blame man fully for this, and yet have no solutions for handling the change that is coming

all they have is things like a carbon tax...and refuse to say how that money will be spent

the climate changes naturally...does man effect it slightly..yes (about 3%)..is man the cause..nope, its a natural cycle

what can man do to live with the change...stop building right at sea-level or below
what can man do to change the climate...nothing

Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I accept that the earth is getting warmer, and believe that humans are part of the cause, but not the only one (how much of that cause is anthropogenic, I'm not sure. I'll say maybe half).
OK, assuming it really is warming, how do we know the warming effect isn't caused primarily by changes in cloud cover and ozone levels?

NASA admits they cannot account for changes in cloud cover and we know refrigerants, etc. have reduced the amount of ozone produced in the stratosphere.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:01 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times
I didn't vote for any options. I believe in climate change happening naturally and that humans contribute to it. How much are we contributing? I am not sure (which is why I didn't vote) but I do believe we are contributing at some level, and we should try to mitigate our impact. It might be very little or it might be a lot, but either way, we can do our part to help.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I didn't vote for any options. I believe in climate change happening naturally and that humans contribute to it. How much are we contributing? I am not sure (which is why I didn't vote) but I do believe we are contributing at some level, and we should try to mitigate our impact. It might be very little or it might be a lot, but either way, we can do our part to help.
^^^
This

Old 09-17-2019, 01:48 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
We earthlings mitigated our footprint... here's how it/this works.

We usta burn wood for everything, then we move to coal, better for the environment and saved trees, then we moved to oil and nuclear... better than coal, now we're moving to natural gas, better than wood, coal or oil. Now we're "exploring" wind, solar etc. and it's better environmentally than NG most of the time, but the technology and practicality is limited. We'll probably be limited to about 20% from "green" sources.

Nuclear is our best option right now.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:13 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
This poll result is incredibly depressing but sadly unsurprising.
Because twice as many people have common sense as those who do not.....?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:52 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Interesting article.

https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-...ic-predictions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies