Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 PM

346 posts, read 237,714 times

Advertisements

There's been a huge push recently wherein in media attractive/sexy women are bad and offensive towards women so they do things like covering them up more and downplay any physical attraction they have. Heck, lots of women got upset because Captain Marvel wore lipstick.

Many counter arguments to it have been that it's ridiculous, as you look at female UFC fighters, they're all wearing short shorts and sports bras. And there's a female youtuber called LianaK that pointed out something I found interesting, where she stated it's actually insulting to women to say it's somehow more "mature and respectful" to say women need to be covered up, and is very hypocritical considering the past where women were expected to keep themselves covered up all the time.

There's also the issue where women that depend on making money by getting jobs and gigs by modeling are now suffering due to this climate where showing physically attractive women is awful, like the grid girls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdbD7EF4Byw

Or another good example would be an even held every year called E3 in L.A where they show off lots of new video games coming out and they used to have a crap ton of women that would model and depending on what kind of game it was, some would dress up in bikinis, some in some fantasy armor, etc. I actually went there the last year they had it, they were colloquially known as "booth babes" there were tons of them and it was fun because they all would let you talk to them, take pictures with them and they seemed pretty happy, but the next year they ended it saying they didn't want female attendees to feel uncomfortable. Now sure you can say "You're a man, so of course you'd want attractive women around" but couldn't it also be argued that by fostering a culture where attractive women are not allowed you're also making sure lots of women lose jobs and gigs where they can make some decent money?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-17-2019 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 09:39 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
Good point on the ladies in UFC essentially wearing mortal combat outfits. I add that boxers and wrestlers don't wear much either. One of the first lady comic book heros, Phantom Lady, used to wear skimpy outfits intentionally to distract her male opponents. The real reason is that mostly young boys and men play violent video games, and they like scantily clad women, and they should. Not everyone has to be gay or a cross-dresser.

It is funny because their woke definition of how a woman should dress essentially converges with Islam, which we all know liberals love. Does anyone need any further proof that liberals are the new puritans? It is only a matter of time before women are dressed up like ghosts on Halloween, as in Islamic cultures, while the gay men jump around half naked, being fabulous, in their parades.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 PM

17 posts, read 15,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Good point on the ladies in UFC essentially wearing mortal combat outfits. I add that boxers and wrestlers don't wear much either. One of the first lady comic book heros, Phantom Lady, used to wear skimpy outfits intentionally to distract her male opponents. The real reason is that mostly young boys and men play violent video games, and they like scantily clad women, and they should. Not everyone has to be gay or a cross-dresser.

It is funny because their woke definition of how a woman should dress essentially converges with Islam, which we all know liberals love. Does anyone need any further proof that liberals are the new puritans? It is only a matter of time before women are dressed up like ghosts on Halloween, as in Islamic cultures, while the gay men jump around half naked, being fabulous, in their parades.
Exactly, isn't feminism supposed to be about women be allowed to do whatever they want without being judged? Yet apparently, if you're a physically attractive woman, your mere presence can offend other women, so you better cover up! One big reason why as a woman, I don't call myself a feminist, I have worked in corporate america for decades yet time and time again you have women in power that have an axe the size of Godzilla to grind against any other woman that is attractive.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:10 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniss View Post
Exactly, isn't feminism supposed to be about women be allowed to do whatever they want without being judged? Yet apparently, if you're a physically attractive woman, your mere presence can offend other women, so you better cover up! One big reason why as a woman, I don't call myself a feminist, I have worked in corporate america for decades yet time and time again you have women in power that have an axe the size of Godzilla to grind against any other woman that is attractive.
No, it's a lot more complicated than that. No one should be able to "do whatever they want" free from scrutiny, that is just being childish.

I'm fine with models, promo girls, hostesses at events, etc...doing their thing, but I don't like bringing that kind of style into the professional realm. Even on TV, women talking about serious issues should not look like streetwalkers, or hostesses or dressed for a nightclub. It is cringey to me, and it isn't only Fox News by a longshot. It says they don't take themselves seriously.

I don't know anything about gaming so cannot speak to that. But there are always complaints from the women characters at conventions of being inappropriately touched and guys just acting creepy to them.

As far as jealous women at work, there are always a few of them but for the most part it isn't a big problem. Women should not be catty at work, as it works against feminism.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
There's been a huge push recently wherein in media attractive/sexy women are bad and offensive towards women so they do things like covering them up more and downplay any physical attraction they have. Heck, lots of women got upset because Captain Marvel wore lipstick.

Many counter arguments to it have been that it's ridiculous, as you look at female UFC fighters, they're all wearing short shorts and sports bras. And there's a female youtuber called LianaK that pointed out something I found interesting, where she stated it's actually insulting to women to say it's somehow more "mature and respectful" to say women need to be covered up, and is very hypocritical considering the past where women were expected to keep themselves covered up all the time.

There's also the issue where women that depend on making money by getting jobs and gigs by modeling are now suffering due to this climate where showing physically attractive women is awful, like the grid girls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdbD7EF4Byw

Or another good example would be an even held every year called E3 in L.A where they show off lots of new video games coming out and they used to have a crap ton of women that would model and depending on what kind of game it was, some would dress up in bikinis, some in some fantasy armor, etc. I actually went there the last year they had it, they were colloquially known as "booth babes" there were tons of them and it was fun because they all would let you talk to them, take pictures with them and they seemed pretty happy, but the next year they ended it saying they didn't want female attendees to feel uncomfortable. Now sure you can say "You're a man, so of course you'd want attractive women around" but couldn't it also be argued that by fostering a culture where attractive women are not allowed you're also making sure lots of women lose jobs and gigs where they can make some decent money?
You're talking about cosplay in that last paragraph.

I have zero issues with a female being attractive - I'm female, just to put that out there because I guess in some circles that gives me "the right" to have an opinion on this...whatever.

In fact, I'd rather look at attractive people than ugly ones.

I do not agree that females should be baring everything that they can because I believe it reveals a low self esteem, and little to no self worth. It's not just the good looking guys who are ogling you. You can look absolutely stunning without showing everything that you were born with. In fact, I think they look better when they are able to accentuate without revealing.

It's like make up. It's not supposed to cover your entire face and make it look completely different, it's supposed to highlight your attractiveness. If you have gorgeous eyes without make up, make up will just make them stand out even more. If you have amazing lips, you highlight those. But too many people now completely cover their faces with layers of nonsense. I've seen a few of those "beauty" channels on YouTube, and I cannot get over how much makeup they put on their faces these days. It's layer after layer after layer after layer, and that's just the "base" the "contours" the 30 different concealers and powders. It's insane.

As for video games - they are pixels. I don't care. While sometimes grinding during a game can irritate the carp out of me, I refuse to get "offended" by pixels on a screen made to look a certain way. Who. Cares. If some female is so offended by the way that the characters look, pick the male character.

You don't want ugly girls modeling. No one would buy the clothing if ugly girls modeled. And yes, I understand that in modeling, sometimes the clothes are more revealing, like swim suits, and I understand it for modeling. What I mean by "not reveal everything" applies to every day people walking around in every day life.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-17-2019 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 09-17-2019, 11:45 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
If I wanted to watch ugly women discuss the news I would watch the view.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM

17 posts, read 15,364 times
Feminism today isn't about freedom for women, it's about women being able to control other women.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:12 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times
I rather watch pretty people.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:22 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Robin Meade? Rashel Diaz?

No, not at all!

Old 09-17-2019, 04:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I can't tell. Is this thread about female news readers, or about comic characters?

It is interesting, that female news readers have to be young and smoking hot, where male news readers can pretty much look however they feel like, especially the weather guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies