Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,885,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Simple solution, buy US and stop buying crap that breaks!

WTH? Do you live on another planet?

That's all he talks about!!!

No matter, I buy US. If something costs me a bit more but was built here I do. Just dropped some extra Benjamins on a tool cart built here. I buy US, Euro, and Japanese. Taiwan and SoKo make good stuff too.
That's not all he talks about it. Go check his twitter feed.

There was an event this summer but nothing out of the ordinary.

And I think he made some official statement in May.

Trump tweets how many times a day.
How many tweets on China trade.
How many times in there has he encouraged Americans to check labels, buy American when they can (becaue as noted not everyone has the privilege to buy goods without checking the price).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And they are cutting employee hours.
Heading into the holiday season, I doubt that.

What’s your source?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,271,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It isn't always volume of food that makes you fat...it's the quality. Poor people can't buy the same quality of foods as rich people.
Sure they can. Money has little to do with eating quality healthy foods. If I gave a million dollars to a poor family they’re not automatically going to eat healthier; they’ll just have more money to buy more junk food.

I.e Trump; he’s a billionaire but still eats McDonald’s and KFC.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:07 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,885,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Sure they can. Money has little to do with eating quality healthy foods. If I gave a million dollars to a poor family they’re not automatically going to eat healthier; they’ll just have more money to buy more junk food.

I.e Trump; he’s a billionaire but still eats McDonald’s and KFC.
Your logic fails you.

It is harder for poorer people to eat quality food.
It's easy for rich people to eat whatever they want.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:10 PM

Small businesses sell the same stuff as Walmart except they tend to change more because they don’t have the leverage Walmart does.

Small businesses hire the majority of undocumented workers. Walmart has long used eVerify, even though not required to do so.

Small businesses tend to pay their employees less than big box and avoid FTE because they choose to not pay benefits. Walmart has committed to paying a minimum of $15/ hr by the end of 2020. That’s more than twice the Federal Minimum Wage. $15/ hr goes a lot further in some locations, than others.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,404,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Reading comprehension fail....while they identified some products...the article clearly suggests an across the board rise in prices that Walmart is trying to share across the board....and that some items just have shifted upwards no matter what.

What about that garlic?

Being Italian, I use a lot of garlic (I also grow it in my garden)

I have not seen prices on garlic go up, not even one cent...at least not here in lower NY

do you really believe that article....that a $2 bulb of garlic just went up 50% to $3....sorry I am not seeing it

Old 09-16-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there are tariffs on the junk that Trump companies sell?
The super majority of Trump Org retail products were historically made elsewhere, China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc. this includes Ivanka products, Melania’s former jewelry and facial cosmetic line she sold on QVC, home furnishing/ textiles and of course Trump’s men’s line.

Bangladesh factory that made of Ivanka clothing was cited for serious human rights violations. Ivanka said they had standards and expected their vendors to comply. No one audited. She declined to disclose company standards.

Trump Org is mostly out of retail, right now. It was obviously a “ bad look” for them and sales were declining, boycotts, despite Kellyanne telling Fox News viewers to buy Ivanka stuff.

Swell family.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:32 PM

36,965 posts, read 18,926,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who cares?

Trade with China is a deal with the devil that should have never been initiated!

We should buy nothing from the red Chinese.
Tell that to Trump. All of his cmapaign merchandise and most of his and Ivanka's clothing lines are Chinese.

Look at the label in your MAGA hat.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:35 PM

36,965 posts, read 18,926,579 times
Quote:
I wonder if there are tariffs on the junk that Trump companies sell?
Ivanka's Chinese crap is tariff exempt. What a surprise.

https://fortune.com/2018/07/09/donal...ply-to-ivanka/

Old 09-16-2019, 01:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,746,205 times
Quote:
My stepson has stocked there for 3 years. They cut night stockers to 24 hours a week and most of the cashiers to 24-32 hours a week.

They are not the only company doing that , unfortunately. The company I work for has cut everyone to about half because we are seeing a slow down in customer count and spending.

Two things are at work here, his dumb tariffs and the economy is slowing down. No way around that, it is happening. The ads I hear on the radio, especially from new car dealers, have a tone of desperation. "We can get anyone approved, get back $5,000, $10,000, etc." These are not just the usual car ads, they are more frequent and more intense.

When people are not buying cars, it is a pretty good barometer of how the economy is fairing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies