Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 04:18 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
I find it very disturbing that a government entity is demonized by a significant part of our population for upholding the rule of law.

What is happening to us?
Indeed. What? Sad times, but prob gonna get worse before it gets better......

Ignore Craigiri, he's on a different wavelength
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 04:38 PM

23,964 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No they don't.

The phone company may and with a warrant the authorities MAY be able to figure it out.

They don't know "I" am even with my phone....even then. Palantir has the photo through your windshield to tie into every single piece of cc data, drivers record, credit ratings, voting, etc. etc.

I'll take your answer as a YES....unless you are willing to be more clear. Palatir ties ALL the data together to ANY customer who pays and gives it without warrants.

If you enjoy that then you stand on firm ground wanting them to have more smart people....
Scary thing is people like that poster think they are political gurus. But they have no clue what Cambridge Analytic and the Russian troll farms did with that polling data that was passed to them by Manafort. The technology is so far ahead of the ability of most to understand it.

Plenty of technical advanced degreed people I know are very careful about where they will work. SIL would make twice the money if he would work for a defense contractor.

Those guys pay a ton. My friend's kid is coveted by a couple of defense contractors. He and his wife took a couple years off to travel around the world and the defense contractors would hunt him down. Not yet 40, he took another job. The money was too hard to pass up.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Scary thing is people like that poster think they are political gurus. But they have no clue what Cambridge Analytic and the Russian troll farms did with that polling data that was passed to them by Manafort. The technology is so far ahead of the ability of most to understand it.

Plenty of technical advanced degreed people I know are very careful about where they will work. SIL would make twice the money if he would work for a defense contractor.

Those guys pay a ton. My friend's kid is coveted by a couple of defense contractors. He and his wife took a couple years off to travel around the world and the defense contractors would hunt him down. Not yet 40, he took another job. The money was too hard to pass up.
I also have a family member who is both an CE/EE and an attorney. She wouldn't work for Big Data or the war machine for a million a year...unless we were invaded or something. Then she'd jump in.

It's really hard for some people to imagine that others have standards other than money or partisanship. It just doesn't fit their worldview. They consider people who sell out "patriots"...as opposed to people who work for freedoms (net neutrality, privacy) who are "our enemies" - especially if Trump says so.

But what amazes me is the hypocrisy and how they instantly turn for "privacy is everything" to "I don't need any protection".....

Well, at least we can now be sure which party is for more Big Brother and which is not. Thiel, who owns Palantir, is one of the few Big Silicon Valley Trump supporters...

Old 09-16-2019, 05:16 PM

33,298 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
I also have a family member who is both an CE/EE and an attorney. She wouldn't work for Big Data or the war machine for a million a year...unless we were invaded or something. Then she'd jump in.

It's really hard for some people to imagine that others have standards other than money or partisanship. It just doesn't fit their worldview. They consider people who sell out "patriots"...as opposed to people who work for freedoms (net neutrality, privacy) who are "our enemies" - especially if Trump says so.

But what amazes me is the hypocrisy and how they instantly turn for "privacy is everything" to "I don't need any protection".....

Well, at least we can now be sure which party is for more Big Brother and which is not. Thiel, who owns Palantir, is one of the few Big Silicon Valley Trump supporters...

After reading the thread title, but before clicking on it and reading the thread, I was wondering if the boycott was because of the ICE contracts or because Trump supporter Thiel founded the company.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:59 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,019 times
one of our posters alluded to having location turned on...the so-called "crackpot" McAfee marketed a phone a few years ago the had a "hard" physical switch on the device instead of the typical "software" switch which can be activated via the network at anytime YOUR on/off is useless if "they" want it on lol

Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
I read these threads and I am grateful. I am grateful that my wife and I raised our children to be free thinkers and not members of the herd.

Fine you don't want to work for a company. You feel the company is questionable. There are companies you couldn't pay me to work for. There are government agencies and departments I wouldn't work for. That doesn't mean that I would join a militia and protest the ATF. I don't need to join a herd to feel like I accomplished something.

People wonder why so many have doubts about the merits of many Universities. I don't doubt the merits of a higher education, both my girls are making more than I ever did or ever would have. That said I am so glad thad they didn't join one of those groups that blat like sheep.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 09-16-2019 at 07:51 PM..

Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Uh, a lot of people refuse to work for arms makers or security services. Nothing new. In fact, it runs contrary to the morals of many people.

Don't you believe in the freedom of a person to choose their vocation?

As mentioned, the USA uses "contractors" the world over for "security" and war now. There are plenty of people willing to not ask questions and work for Big Data.

Heck, Google pulled out of all government contracts that had to do with possible war efforts.

Many of you don't seem to realize that this has been the situation for a LONG time. Henry Ford at first refused to do defense work.....until it was clear that it was a REAL WAR and all of that.

If the Russians invade our shores I'm sure the patriots will step up. Until then the MIC and Security State can pound sand. They simply won't get the "best people".
Well, by God, when a baker doesn't want to bake a cake - Cons sure believe in THAT. When a nurse doesn't want to perform an abortion - they believe in THAT as well.

They think only their 'morals' matter.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, by God, when a baker doesn't want to bake a cake - Cons sure believe in THAT. When a nurse doesn't want to perform an abortion - they believe in THAT as well.

They think only their 'morals' matter.
If the morals have to do with being secure from or bombing brown people, theirs seem to change quickly. Also, if real money is involved....wow, it's amazing how quickly they change their views.

I lived most of my adult life in a place where Lockheed Martin was the largest employers. Our neighbor were bigwigs who either worked there or sold to them. One year's bonus meant a 50+ foot yacht...some years it was a beach house (this is for the ex-Military that sold stuff like the raptor to them).

They all preached that "Flag Waving" constantly but most of them didn't mean it. They were paid to do so....surely couldn't be seen coming out against war or even red light cameras (yes, Lockheed does those).

I saw complete losers...people who couldn't get any job (one was a driver for a lowly state pol) get hired by them and paid full time just to be a local pol (they hire them to BS jobs like "PR" and then give them lots of time off so they can prance around and be seen in the right places).....

It truly is amazing.

It would be nice if our War and Security Machine could just do their jobs without all the excess trillions and politics and other such BS.

One pol, a family values Mayor, was caught with his pants down with a rent boy who was blackmailing him...the guy was a VP of Engineering at LM. Take that times a couple 1000 and you get an idea how safe our secrets are.

No, I too believe in choice. In fact I was unhappy when I recently noticed that one of my Mutual Funds contained some defense contractors. It's not like you can avoid it 100%, but at least I'd want to pick and choose which I would want to invest in (or not). I'm not a Utopian but then again I don't want to finance the Red Light Cameras or Palantir that is going to cost me big.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
After reading the thread title, but before clicking on it and reading the thread, I was wondering if the boycott was because of the ICE contracts or because Trump supporter Thiel founded the company.
They were infamous well before ICE because they are very much like Cambridge Analytica but vastly more powerful and will sell to ANYONE.

So I suppose many are against them just for their standing for nothing.....which obviously means they will gladly sell data to anyone with no questions asked.

I don't think anyone personally boycotts Thiel - if his company does something good people use it.

BTW, his VC fund is being investigated by the FBI as we speak. Anomalies. Also investors in it are part and parcel of asking some tough questions.

They are arguable the worst of the data collection and sales corporations. Everything people have been complaining about...is what they represent!

There were some stories about how Local Yokels (and I mean YOKELS) have full instant access to the Palantir databases and how they were using them against their Girlfriends and in other nefarious ways.

Trump has already given them billions in contracts for every aspect of the government and military...and it wouldn't be stretching things to suggest that they would do work for the Trump campaign.

They were in the same offices with Cambridge Analytica!

" Christopher Wylie, the former research director of Cambridge Analytica, said that several meetings had taken place between Palantir and Cambridge Analytica, and that Alexander Nix, the chief executive of SCL, had facilitated their use of Aleksandr Kogan's data which had been obtained from his app "thisismydigitallife" by mining personal surveys. Kogan later established Global Science Research to share the data with Cambridge Analytica and others. Wylie confirmed that both employees from Cambridge Analytica and Palantir used Kogan's Global Science Research data together in the same offices"

Old 09-16-2019, 07:59 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
If the morals have to do with being secure from or bombing brown people, theirs seem to change quickly. Also, if real money is involved....wow, it's amazing how quickly they change their views.

I lived most of my adult life in a place where Lockheed Martin was the largest employers. Our neighbor were bigwigs who either worked there or sold to them. One year's bonus meant a 50+ foot yacht...some years it was a beach house (this is for the ex-Military that sold stuff like the raptor to them).

They all preached that "Flag Waving" constantly but most of them didn't mean it. They were paid to do so....surely couldn't be seen coming out against war or even red light cameras (yes, Lockheed does those).

I saw complete losers...people who couldn't get any job (one was a driver for a lowly state pol) get hired by them and paid full time just to be a local pol (they hire them to BS jobs like "PR" and then give them lots of time off so they can prance around and be seen in the right places).....

It truly is amazing.

It would be nice if our War and Security Machine could just do their jobs without all the excess trillions and politics and other such BS.

One pol, a family values Mayor, was caught with his pants down with a rent boy who was blackmailing him...the guy was a VP of Engineering at LM. Take that times a couple 1000 and you get an idea how safe our secrets are.

No, I too believe in choice. In fact I was unhappy when I recently noticed that one of my Mutual Funds contained some defense contractors. It's not like you can avoid it 100%, but at least I'd want to pick and choose which I would want to invest in (or not). I'm not a Utopian but then again I don't want to finance the Red Light Cameras or Palantir that is going to cost me big.
I can't respond to all of it, but I can tell you I know of several companies that wept when Hillary lost. They were making a fortune off Obama's approach to Afghanistan and selling medical supplies and equipment to Afghan hospitals. In through the front out through the back and reorder.

As for the racist crap about brown people, Ill pass on that. I am the only white person in my family.

I believe in choice. Free to burn that burger or serve it rare. Free to refuse service or to serve. People are free to protest. People are free to work for who they want. Who cares? What I disagree with are sheep blatting on command. I believe in free thinkers. It's easy to follow the herd and usually stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies