Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 06:10 AM

1,141 posts, read 449,984 times

Advertisements

I wonder why the elected officials are able to go on the campaign trail while being currently in office? Especially since they are usually seeking a completely different job. I can understand a week or two for a re-election bid. Our senators, congressmen and even most local politicians are elected as full time employees. I have never had a full time job where I could tell my boss I am going to keep drawing my check but take endless time off my job to seek another job.

If the politicians are part timers, then let's cut those checks and benefits back to part time wages. In times when the average person is working so hard just to keep up with the cost of living why should we pay politicians to fly around and campaign? And, even more importantly, who the heck is doing their job while they are running the talk show and campaign trail?

Also, I think the money they raise campaigning should be either spent directly on their campaigning or donated after the run to charity. It is stupid to allow them to amass huge amounts of cash just campaigning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 AM

1,746 posts, read 880,674 times
I agree but let's take it a step further. Why is a current member of the senate allowed to run for President and senate at the same time? His state allows it but federally, I think they should be forced to give up their senate re-election campaign when they start running for President.

Also, since they only spend half a year in Washington and the other half in their home state, why doesn't their state pick up half of the salary? Why should my SC tax dollars be paying for Pelosi and company to be campaigning and working only in California?

Old 09-19-2019, 07:08 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
I agree but let's take it a step further. Why is a current member of the senate allowed to run for President and senate at the same time? His state allows it but federally, I think they should be forced to give up their senate re-election campaign when they start running for President.

Also, since they only spend half a year in Washington and the other half in their home state, why doesn't their state pick up half of the salary? Why should my SC tax dollars be paying for Pelosi and company to be campaigning and working only in California?

Granny Warren was doing just that while promising the people of Mass. that her number one concern was the people of Mass. She was off flying about the country stumping for other candidates and gearing up for a Presidential run. Her opponent in the election Geoff Diehl told us all that Warrens ultimate sights were on the WH and he even had a commercial where a Warren look alike was packing her bags for DC.

Geoff is out there somewhere today saying "I told you so"

I agree that it is wrong for a sitting elected official to campaign for another position.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:23 AM

Yes, she did campaign for President after being re-elected to the senate, but my reference to Corey Booker is that he is up for senate re-election in 2020 as well as running for President. Warren isn't. Doesn't make it any better what she did and if I lived in MA I'd be pretty ticked off about how little she has actually done for the people of that state. But a person should never be allowed to run for two positions at the same time just so they have a fall-back when they don't get elected to one.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post

Agreed on the give-up 1 position while applying/re-applying for another. Otherwise, you are potentially gaining or potentially re-gaining too much power. It's like that Spider-Man comic quote of "With great power, there must also come great responsibility."

Old 09-19-2019, 04:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
I wonder why the elected officials are able to go on the campaign trail while being currently in office? Especially since they are usually seeking a completely different job. I can understand a week or two for a re-election bid. Our senators, congressmen and even most local politicians are elected as full time employees. I have never had a full time job where I could tell my boss I am going to keep drawing my check but take endless time off my job to seek another job.

If the politicians are part timers, then let's cut those checks and benefits back to part time wages. In times when the average person is working so hard just to keep up with the cost of living why should we pay politicians to fly around and campaign? And, even more importantly, who the heck is doing their job while they are running the talk show and campaign trail?

Also, I think the money they raise campaigning should be either spent directly on their campaigning or donated after the run to charity. It is stupid to allow them to amass huge amounts of cash just campaigning.
Blasio had spent 7 hours in the office in the last month.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hey welcome to 2019 -- sitting in an office isn't the only place you can get the job done.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
So elected officials shouldn't run too early? What difference is starting a campaign early whether it is for their own re-election or for another position? Either way, they aren't focused on their jobs Here and Now. Might as well accept it.

"...Trump began his reelection campaign unusually early for an incumbent president. He began spending for his reelection effort within weeks of his election and officially filed his campaign with the Federal Election Commission on the day of his inauguration. Since February 2017, Trump has held several rallies and a fundraiser for this campaign. He has visited key electoral states. The campaign has raised funds and run two nationwide advertising campaigns..."

Old 09-19-2019, 05:50 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So elected officials shouldn't run too early? What difference is starting a campaign early whether it is for their own re-election or for another position? Either way, they aren't focused on their jobs Here and Now. Might as well accept it.

"...Trump began his reelection campaign unusually early for an incumbent president. He began spending for his reelection effort within weeks of his election and officially filed his campaign with the Federal Election Commission on the day of his inauguration. Since February 2017, Trump has held several rallies and a fundraiser for this campaign. He has visited key electoral states. The campaign has raised funds and run two nationwide advertising campaigns..."
You do realize that Members of Congress have call centers (setup by the RNC & DNC) located within walking distance from their offices and they spend hours a day calling and begging for money for their next elections from the day they take their oath?

************************************************** ******************************
The American public has a low opinion of Congress. Only 14 percent think it's doing a good job. But Congress has excelled in one way. Raising money. Members of Congress raised more than a billion dollars for their 2014 election. And they never stop.

"Nearly every day, they spend hours on the phone asking supporters and even total strangers for campaign donations -- hours spent away from the jobs they were elected to do."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minu...telemarketers/

Old 09-20-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

And for that, I'm sure the people of NYC are extremely grateful!! Less time for him to screw things up more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies