Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 06:12 AM

23,627 posts, read 13,823,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
So you are saying it will "always" be allowed at the Federal level? If all fifty states enact a similar law isn't that the same effect as a federal law?

No because even if all states have the same law, if you break the law in one state, you can only be tried in that state's courts. Not in the next state's courts and not in the federal courts, but only in the state where you broke that law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 06:20 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,521,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and did you ever hear of the DIFFERENCE between a state and the federal government

if a state wants to implement laws, they can

the bill of rights, is about the protections/rights FROM the federal government and does NOT prevent a state from having its laws WITHIN ITS (the states) constitution ( all the states have their own constitution) 44 states have firearms protections (right to keep and bare arms) within their constitutions

for example
Pennsylvania's 1776 constitution declared: "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state..."
Vermont's constitutions of 1777 and 1786 similarly proclaimed: "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State..."
So, you're claiming states can censor speech, search you without a warrant or delcare that as a resident of _____ state you must adopt _______ religion?

I'm not sure you understand the Constitution.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:43 PM

175 posts, read 123,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No because even if all states have the same law, if you break the law in one state, you can only be tried in that state's courts. Not in the next state's courts and not in the federal courts, but only in the state where you broke that law.

I must be reading this wrong, because it makes zero sense... If all fifty states enact a law saying private party transfers must go through a FFL, how does that meet the statement "always be allowed?"

Old 09-19-2019, 04:01 PM

2,066 posts, read 895,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
How is passing a law through Congress dictatorial? Trump just bypasses Congress to get money he wants for his pet projects even though they hold the purse strings. So who's the dictator?

You'd think he has a pen and a phone, or something ...

Old 09-19-2019, 04:10 PM

23,627 posts, read 13,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
I must be reading this wrong, because it makes zero sense... If all fifty states enact a law saying private party transfers must go through a FFL, how does that meet the statement "always be allowed?"

I didn't say the always be allowed clause; I was just saying that if you break the law in say, Rhode Island, then it is in the courts of Rhode Island that you will be tried.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:09 PM

175 posts, read 123,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I didn't say the always be allowed clause; I was just saying that if you break the law in say, Rhode Island, then it is in the courts of Rhode Island that you will be tried.

I was making a point to a poster who said something about something always being allowed and it'd never change. I gave him/her an example of how it had already happened in California and that superseded Federal law.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:43 AM

10,196 posts, read 6,267,801 times
So how in the world would this work for relatives who stand to inherit guns? Husband/Mom/Dad owns guns so I better run out right now and get my license, training, etc., because if they die and I inherit them, I will be breaking the law if I don't beforehand?

That would create a big mess for grieving family members, especially for one who has no intention of keeping those guns. Tell gun owning family member they better make out a will and leave them to somebody else who already has a license?

Would this "transfer among private parties" also include heirs? No, no, no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies