Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 04:47 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If you are this gullible, god help you.As the other poster stated, they were clearly joking and just stating the food looks bad.

you are the real snowflake here.
I am offended by a certain class of people using hair products that turn their hair into something not consistent with their race.

See how it works? Don’t like the food, don’t buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 04:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If you are this gullible, god help you.As the other poster stated, they were clearly joking and just stating the food looks bad.

you are the real snowflake here.
When a person making millions of dollars a year as people cheer for him says he's being treated like a slave, it's hard to tell what is a joke anymore.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I sincerely don't get the "cultural appropriation" argument. Don't all people of all eras borrow things from other people's cultures when it is beneficial? It is usually a compliment if not done on purpose to mock.

The "Jamaican seasoning" uses allspice, which is native to Mexico and scotch bonnets, which are native to West Africa.... Jamaica's favorite sport is soccer, which is not native to the island... Over 3/4ths of the island identifies as Christian, which is not native to the island. Look at the island's top viewed movies and shows....most are not from the island...

Should anyone care?

Totally Agree - cultural appropriation is nonsense and people enjoy experimenting and mixing different cusines, it's part of the joy of cooking and makes food more exciting.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-17-2019 at 05:41 AM..

Old 09-17-2019, 06:15 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think they were offended because it was nothing like the Jamaican rice and peas and used white rice and garden peas.

IKEA apologises after backlash over jerk chicken with 'rice and peas' dish - Metro

This isn't the first time they have moaned on about cultural appropriation, they had a go at Jamie Olivers instant Jerk rice last year.

Jamie Oliver accused of cultural appropriation over ‘jerk’ flavoured rice - Metro

Whilst UK Caribbean food Chain Turtle Bay has run in to problems over the years.

Turtle Bay Caribbean restaurant chain slammed for 'racist' marketing campaign which 'mocked Rastafarianism' - London Evening Standard

Turtle Bay UK - The Best Caribbean Restaurant & Bar

There are plenty of good caribbean places and indeed carnivals that serve good caribbean food, as for the cultural appropriation it is usually just overblown nonsense.
Well those people who said that are idiots. Jerk is a seasoning not an ethnic recipe. Jerk chicken can come with anything on the side you want and still be called jerk chicken as long as the jerk seasoning was used.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:55 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I sincerely don't get the "cultural appropriation" argument. Don't all people of all eras borrow things from other people's cultures when it is beneficial? It is usually a compliment if not done on purpose to mock.

The "Jamaican seasoning" uses allspice, which is native to Mexico and scotch bonnets, which are native to West Africa.... Jamaica's favorite sport is soccer, which is not native to the island... Over 3/4ths of the island identifies as Christian, which is not native to the island. Look at the island's top viewed movies and shows....most are not from the island...

Should anyone care?
all peppers are native to the Americas, no where else.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:00 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am offended by a certain class of people using hair products that turn their hair into something not consistent with their race.

I know how it works, but based on what you just tried to do there, you clearly dont.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:06 AM

1,752 posts, read 754,475 times
Quote:

Totally Agree - cultural appropriation is nonsense and people enjoy experimenting and mixing different cusines, it's part of the joy of cooking and makes food more exciting.
The same people that talk about cultural appropriation are also the same people that aggressively push multiculturalism and tolerance, which is weird, because cultural appropriation goes against multiculturalism and tolerance.

A couple years ago I had a teacher bring up some story about a poor girl who made national news for wearing an Asian dress to prom while being white. The teacher was offended because of "cultural appropriation." This same teacher speaks of tolerance and acceptance and the need for a multicultural society....how is this not contradictory? If you question the contradiction she would get angry and shut it down while talking about feelings being hurt by those being oppressed by cultural appropriation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
all peppers are native to the Americas, no where else.

Hmmm, I've heard on a cooking show that they are from West Africa...but its looks like you are right...

I've found this....

"Scotch bonnet, also known as bonney peppers, or Caribbean red peppers,[1] is a variety of chili pepper named for its resemblance to a tam o' shanter hat.[2][3] It is native to West Africa.[4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet

but then this too....

Quote:
Chilli peppers however are immensely loved in West Africa, both in fresh or dried and powdered form, particularly in the more hot-and-humid lands of the region. Introduced to Africa probably sometime soon after Christopher Columbus sailed to America by European sailors, it is said that the sweating induced by the spicy heat of chilli helps to air-conditions your skin. More than in other regions of Africa, West Africans utilize Scotch bonnet chile peppers with a liberal hand in many of their sauces and stews. The bite and fire of these extremely hot peppers (Scoville rating 200,000 – 300,000) add a unique flavor as well as heat. The chilli is also supposed to help preserve food, as well as adding flavour to relatively bland tropical staples like root vegetables.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_African_cuisine

+1 to you

Quote:

Cultural appropriation from what I can tell is a one way street. Non-white people using things from white culture is A-Okay...….if a white person uses something from non-white culture it is suddenly offensive.

Although, I tend to agree more with Democrats....this is one of those things that their fringe does poorly with.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:18 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:

Easy there, Stretch Armstrong.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:02 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
I really not getting it. What? This is Ikea, did they expect to see some authentic ethnic Jamaican food there for 3 dollars? It has absolutely different price tag, or a ticket to Jamaica.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:06 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
Quote:
I think they were offended because it was nothing like the Jamaican rice and peas and used white rice and garden peas.[/url]
Well then they deserve the ridicule. If they don't know "peas" in West Indian culinary circles actually means kidney beans that's just ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies