Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
My post was a reaction to the word "create".

I don't disagree with your points. You're ideas are more conventional. Mine are a bit more radical and a bit out there.

If society is telling me I should feel sympathy for them, then I hold society responsible for their behavior or whoever enabled their behavior in the past. If the consequences were not enough to stop their behaviors, then education needed to take center stage. If education was not enough, consequences needed to take center stage.

All of those things you mentioned, self respect, morals, manners, honesty, integrity, are learned through skills. Those very same skills are taught first at home, if the parent knows the skills. If they don't, they can't teach it. That is why some kids are better prepared for school than others. But for those other children that don't learn the skills at home, that is where the school steps in. And it should step in, that is what we are paying it for. Parents can only teach so much at home because the environment is limited to the family and its values. They hope the school shares the same values and are competent in teaching.

But if children are coming out of schools not being able to conclude that you shouldn't walk onto somebody else's yard without their permission, then they didn't teach the skills necessary to form that conclusion.
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I can't expect public schools to act as foster parents. We have always had the occasional bully, the kid that was disruptive, etc. What we almost never saw was, what we see so often today. Students attacking the teaching staff. Let's be honest, we have different standards for different students. We also won't let teachers do much more than accept the verbal abuse.
As I said before, if a 15 year old young man doesn't know write from wrong by then it is because he simply doesn't care. They know, they just dont care and chances are that they never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 04:47 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. The homeowner is a hero. I am so glad he killed these criminals. The icing on the cake is they were young and had their whole lives ahead of them to do more evil. Now they can't because they are dead. I love it!

Old 09-18-2019, 04:51 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
This is the best news I have heard in a long time. The homeowner is a hero. I am so glad he killed these criminals. The icing on the cake is they were young and had their whole lives ahead of them to do more evil. Now they can't because they are dead. I love it!
I won't rejoice the death of 15 year old young men. I will morn the lost potential and the fact they were screwed long before they attacked the wrong homeowner.
I think we all know that the only reason the left isn't frothing at the mouth over this, is because it was a black on black shooting. Had it been a white home owner, he would have been called a gun nut, a racist and paranoid. he would have been demonized within minutes of the story breaking.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:54 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I won't rejoice the death of 15 year old young men. I will morn the lost potential and the fact they were screwed long before they attacked the wrong homeowner.

By whom exactly ?
Taking a gun to a robbery is a lifestyle choice.
These fellers chose the wrong lifestyle.
Such a shame they didn't work at their education and get a job like just about everyone else.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's called a strawman Bob. Please rejoin us in reality where you respond to real posts instead of making crap up to then castigate imaginary people over.

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:32 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I admire the homeowners good marksmanship......three dead thugs.

I’m sure all the protests will start, I know they were just babies, good kids... what’s this world coming to when three nice young thugs can’t rob a house without getting shot.
The protests would only start if the victim of these three thugs was a cop....or a white home owner. As it sits, the LWNJs will just list this as another set of "victims of gun violence" and blame the gun, rather than look at it as a vicious crime stopped by an armed victim.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:34 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
In California the homeowner would have been charged with murder while the liberal politicians lamented over the deaths of these poor misguided youths.
Probably.

When I first moved to Texas from California, some of the Texans I encountered referred to the difference in the way a situation like this would be treated in California (vs. how it would be treated in Texas) as ‘The California Apology’.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The neighbor refers to it as an "assault rifle" that he knew the homeowner to have.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/us/ge...hot/index.html

NOTE: Edited to add this article that states he was known to own the weapon:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...e-masked-teens
From the article:

Quote:
One of the youths allegedly pulled out a gun and fired a few shots, prompting one of the residents, reportedly a male truck driver who owns a semi-automatic rifle
“It was five shots, and then, it sounded like a handgun. Then I heard somebody have an assault rifle. And it was a slew of shots that came out,” neighbor Carlos Watson said.
It really doesn't matter what kind of firearm was used, but it seems my educated guess was spot on. Not sure why people got so emotional about it.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Let's see... how likely was it that three teens put on masks and were playing pranks at random houses by setting off firecrackers at 4 am in the morning???
You are the only one talking about fire-crackers. Why even bring it up? One of the teens had a hand-gun and he used it.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:48 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Funnily enough this episode reminded me ( probably because of the number of victims involved ) of the glorious time in 1988 when a few lads from Britain's SAS ambushed and shot three IRA terrorists who were planning a bomb attack on British soldiers in Gibraltar using explosives supplied by Libya's nutjob leader Gaddafi.

Of course the IRA and their sympathizers in Britain ( including the current leader of the opposition Jeremy Corbyn ) whined about the terrorists having no weapons or bombs.

But what were they doing there ? It was early March so perhaps they were on a break in the sun after their strenuous work of killing innocent men,women and children.

The reaction of the great British public was to shrug their shoulders and say so what ? You become a terrorist and sudden and violent death is the risk you take.

I do hope those SAS lads are enjoying their well-earned retirement and think of all the people they prevent being killed by the simply expediency of a few well-aimed bullets.

Good times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Flavius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies