Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
While that is true most of the time, it is not as simple as blame the parents. There are many single mothers in poor neighborhoods (and elsewhere) who try, but are overwhelmed with multiple jobs and multiple kids.

I know wealthy parents who do what they can, and their kids are in constant trouble. One guy in our golf league has spent lot of money getting in professional help, but nothing seems to work with that kid.
That does make you wonder about the early programing doesn't it?

My son came to our home at almost 8 years old. He took a ton of understanding that first year. He fortunately came around. We didn't make excuses or exceptions.Our house had rules and consistency. We didn't do timeouts. We had consequences and we had rewards. I'm not saying that we were perfect, but one thing we didn't do is play the victim card or let him use it as an excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Jesus the Christ groomed Judas to be an Apostle for 3 and 1/2 years and look where that got him. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. I raised my three children in church some of the things taught them stuck some of the things taught them slipped and fell by the Wayside.

Oh by the way I liked another post of yours where you said that you took the door off of your kids room(s ) ..lol...i did the exact same thing myself , otherwise they would have ran all over me.
Hahaha You can never bluff, they will eventually call the bluff and the first time you capitulate will be the last time they respect your word.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:41 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
The legal dust has not settled on this one yet.
Three dead punks and 2 guns. So someone (or 2) got shot who didn't have a gun, and from the initial reports was "booking on down the road" when he was shot.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That does make you wonder about the early programing doesn't it?

My son came to our home at almost 8 years old. He took a ton of understanding that first year. He fortunately came around. We didn't make excuses or exceptions.Our house had rules and consistency. We didn't do timeouts. We had consequences and we had rewards. I'm not saying that we were perfect, but one thing we didn't do is play the victim card or let him use it as an excuse.
No one is looking for excuses.

Is it a hard concept to grasp that some people are single parents who work two jobs and are simply overwhelmed. You can stand there and preset yourself as some kind of superhero, but there are people out there who are actually trying their best, and their kids still end up in trouble. The friend of mine who I mentioned was a well-off person, and his wife worked a good job too, and they felt they were in good position to adopt, and they did. The kid was fine the first 8-9 years, but now as a teenager, he out of control, and even professionals are running out of options. He is probably close to hitting the red-flag triggers, if he hasn't hit them already.

It's easy to pat yourself in the back and blame others for failure, but the world is more complex than that. There are many good Christian parents who did everything right, and their kids lie in the morgue with needle marks on their arms. There is only so much you can do.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 AM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
My speculation is that not necessarily drugs were involved, but the teens went to this house wearing masks for a reason. And the homeowner was expecting company. So why did the teens go there? Good question. Am I glad those 3 criminals are no longer on this planet? Hell yes.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The legal dust has not settled on this one yet.
Three dead punks and 2 guns. So someone (or 2) got shot who didn't have a gun, and from the initial reports was "booking on down the road" when he was shot.

Cops seem pretty happy with what they investigated.
As everyone here has pointed out there's no whitey to blame so the usual BLM suspects haven't bothered crawling out of the woowdwork.
This story will be forgotten about before the weekend.
If not before then.
Good riddance.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:25 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
I support your right to self defense even though I am pretty liberal. IF (and it's a big IF) this story is truly just self defense, the homeowner had every right to defend his own life. It's still sad that 3 teenagers died, nothing to celebrate there. If it turns out it was a drug deal gone bad, is the homeowner still a hero? The story is really fishy...

Old 09-18-2019, 10:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
My speculation is that not necessarily drugs were involved, but the teens went to this house wearing masks for a reason. And the homeowner was expecting company. So why did the teens go there? Good question. Am I glad those 3 criminals are no longer on this planet? Hell yes.
My guess is that it was an arranged meeting (over drugs, stolen goods etc) and something went wrong, and the bullets started flying.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:28 PM

266 posts, read 259,313 times
I question the theory that it was an arranged meeting. If an arranged meeting, why the masks?

Old 09-18-2019, 07:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
I have 2 children in the public school system. They both have gone through somewhat integrated/socio-economically diverse schools - in the 25-40% economically-disadvantaged range.

My oldest started elementary school in 2007. Even though my younger child left elementary school in 2015, I have continued to volunteer weekly in that school, and be regularly present and volunteer in middle and high school. I've got friends (and clients) in different elementary schools with a wide range of diversity.

The kids take a turn in 4th and 5th grade.

The teachers "love" the kids, nurture the kids, treat them all equally, do everything they can to help the struggling kids. They don't discipline any differently, in fact they often go out of there to apply more love to those who need it, but call in parents "like me" whose kids are becoming privileged brats.

But somehow there's a significant % of the ED kids that change their actions and behavior, and clearly their own value on school. It's not the teachers, it's not the peers. Since they live "among" their peers, it's not the neighhbor kids. We're not talking about 9 year olds who have 16 year old siblings in their ear/setting bad examples.

there is ONLY 1 place this change originates - and it's the parents. If the don't give a f***, the kids won't.
It's disheartening to see these prepubescent kids change so drastically. But nobody's allowed to do or say anything to the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Bad dog owners create bad dogs. The same is true of people. Bad parents create bad children. They dont teach them how to behave, how to respect, how to be responsible.

You can blame society, but I never hired a teacher or expected a teacher to teach my children, manners, respect, self respect, morals, honesty. integrity or honor. If you are looking for strangers to do those things for you then you have no business being a parent. Good Parents, own their children's behavior. I don't blame Mr Johnson up the road if my sone breaks I not his house. I blame me.

The schools system isn't in place to instruct our children on being honest or having integrity. When you abdicate those responsibilities to strangers you are no longer a fit parent.

Society had no control over those 3 thugs wearing masks, having a gun, and being out at 4 am. There are already laws against the gun, robbing people and in many places minors out roaming the streets at 4 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies