Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I plugged in your numbers. There were questions about exercise levels you did not list.
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp

"Very light" at work; "Light" at leisure (1.5 activity level on their calculator), since I assumed we were talking about folks that don't exercise regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in those calculators. I had one tell me I would lose the weight I wanted to in about 6 months. But the reality was that it took over a year. I ate and exercised just like it said to, but I plateaued a few times. And I am currently using an app to maintain my weight, I actually have to eat about 200 calories a day less than it says I should otherwise I see the scale going back up.

My point being, take what it says with a grain of salt. But not too much salt or you will retain water and weigh more.... in all seriousness, if anyone uses those calculators, don't feel discouraged if it doesn't work thw way it says it should, just keep pressing on and eventually it will.

I was only using it because it was in the article 007 linked to that included the claim that exercise likely wouldn't result in "significant" weight loss.

I've use MyFitnessPal in the past to track my macros with relatively good success.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:17 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You're 6'4 and 230 lbs though. For the rest of us who aren't absolute giants (and especially women), that exercise would burn closer to 250 calories per day, which is less than a measly chocolate bar.

Also boneless skinless chicken breast and plain cauliflower is not a meal that will satisfy or allow for much nutrient absorption at all. Without fat or carbs, that diet is a recipe for failure. There's no other culture that intentionally avoids both fat and carbs
You’re half right. Lose the chicken and add copious amounts of super greens and high protein grains/legumes. Beans quinoa etc.

Chicken is lower in cholesterol than beef but just barely. Problem is that for years we’ve been sold that it’s a much healthier meat (nonsense) so we’re eating the heck out of it.
Cholesterol 3.5oz Chicken (85mg), Beef (89mg).

Meat/Dairy/Sugar/Salt/Alcohol/Nicotine. The enemy hides in plain sight - lol.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ketchup is the one that blew my mind.... rough calculation shows that approximately 25% of the bottle is sugar.

While I don't eat a lot of ketchup, it offends my sensibilities... so now I have to make our ketchup myself.

Yep. We, as a society, sneak sugars into all kinds of things at startling amounts.

We are a nation of sugar addicts, (probably) without even knowing it.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:19 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in those calculators. I had one tell me I would lose the weight I wanted to in about 6 months. But the reality was that it took over a year. I ate and exercised just like it said to, but I plateaued a few times. And I am currently using an app to maintain my weight, I actually have to eat about 200 calories a day less than it says I should otherwise I see the scale going back up.

My point being, take what it says with a grain of salt. But not too much salt or you will retain water and weigh more.... in all seriousness, if anyone uses those calculators, don't feel discouraged if it doesn't work thw way it says it should, just keep pressing on and eventually it will.
Yep. Genetics are real.

Here's my husband's daily diet:

Breakfast: Rice cake with a tiny smear of peanut butter, plain coffee and chia seeds

Lunch: Bowl of plain oatmeal + liquorice or peppermint tea

Snack: a few Triscuits

Dinner: a nice vegan dinner, usually rice with some type of veggies

Here's mine:

Breakfast: Generously buttered waffles + hazelnut chocolate milk

Snack 1: potato chips

Lunch: Takeout, usually pad thai and egg rolls

Snack 2: Sourdough bread + lots of olive oil

Dinner: same vegan dinner as hubby

Dessert: Cookie dough ice cream

Our stats:

Him: 5'9 and 180 lbs
Me: 5'10 and 128 lbs (yes, I'm taller than him)

We exercise the same. And he's not very muscular, he's soft and cuddly. But look at our families and the reason he has to fight so hard just to not be overweight while I don't need to make an effort is obvious. Everyone in my family is tiny regardless of age, whereas everyone in his is absolutely obese (but somehow they have seriously strong longevity genes...unlike my family).

Genetics is a bigger factor than people are willing to admit.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I'm a triathlete and eat all day every day what all I want. I'm still 5'10 190 no matter what. I have no real diet but prefer natural foods like meat, eggs, veggies, fruits. Except .... my achilles heel is a good IPA.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:52 PM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times
Our fatness is the work of a conspiracy of the King, The Clowns led by their military master mind, The Colonel. Oh don't trust that cute little redheaded girl in pigtails, i think her name is Wendy. She's the worst of them.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:53 PM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
It's all about choices.

My wife and I eat relatively healthy. We try to stay away from processed foods and I generally have at least one salad a day.

The problem, at least for me. Is instead of ending the workday by jumping on my mountain bike and putting 3-5 miles on it, or walking the dog, I'll head out to the garage with a Gin or Vodka tonic and tinker on my hobbies for an hour or two, then finish the evening off on the patio with a cigar and bourbon.

Last year i did the keto thing and dropped 25lbs. Felt awesome not having carbs, but in the end it was just very tough for me to stay on it, mostly due to alcohol.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:02 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Exactly.

Billions are spent on marketing and development of these foods, and the marketing worked, and a good percentage of the population is now fat.

People need to understand that they are being manipulated to put garbage in their body.
This deserves a bump!

Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I have already proven my case:
You have simply proven that personal responsibility has died a horrid death.

What explains me? I am 54 and about 5 pounds more than I was in the 1980s. Easily explained: I cannot get to the gym as much as in the past and age does bring on some weight.

However, I generally stay away from junk- Not Very Hard To Do When You Live In A Variety-Rich Country Such As Ours.

I will grant you that changes in the last century (More TV, More Junk Selection, More Driving, etc) are conducive to gaining weight.

But anyone who wants to avoid that can do so.

Unless you want to conjure up a scapegoat for your own bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies