Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 01:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times

Advertisements

If restaurants served smaller portion sizes and lowered the cost for the meal, everyone eating out will be forced to eat less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
If restaurants served smaller portion sizes and lowered the cost for the meal, everyone eating out will be forced to eat less.
Make it cheaper and they will just order more. Eating out is a good way to gain weight as you don't get to control what's in the dish.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
I've thought about that too, but many have become used to the oversized portions, and will think they are getting less for their money even if the price is a bit lower. Also, restaurants make money by selling MORE not less. If I eat out I am always taking a good portion home as leftovers to have the next day.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:41 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
They wouldn't eat less, they would just order the appetizer, the dessert, and anything else that they might not have otherwise ordered.

--------------------------------------------------

As for metabolism, it definitely plays a part, and it is genetic.

One of my friends in my early 20s was very thin, but she at a lot. A. LOT. There is no way I could eat the amount that she did and stay thin.

However, exercise does help. Yes, it may only burn 300 calories per hour (running), but it also changes your metabolism, so even in a resting state, your metabolism can work better than it did by not exercising.

You also have to take in less than you're putting out. If you exercise, but continue to scarf down cheeseburgers and fries 2 times a day, no, it's not going to make a difference.

Also, as I've said: healthy food is far more expensive than junk food. We have those who are poor, (where I'm going to guess a lot of the overweight are), and we have a middle class that is not as wealthy as the middle class used to be, so they try to save money, and that means they eat more junk than people used to eat 30 years ago.

And yes, sugar is addictive, and yes, it is in all kinds of food without many realizing it.

Best bet is to skip the packaged foods and go for the raw foods - raw meat that you cook, produce that is not in a package.

But then we come to: "I don't have time for that!"

Many of us do, we just don't want to. Everything is fast and convenient for us. You don't even have to get out of your car for your morning coffee. We have become super lazy - everything is made to cater to us so that we spend the money. Get in, order, get out. That's what the businesses want.

As someone mentioned earlier, this is what was marketed to people: Fast, easy, convenient.

And then there are parents who say, 'But my kid won't eat (whatever healthy food). I give him chicken nuggets or hot dogs because he will eat those."

How about be a parent! I had to eat way more lima beans than I ever wanted to. I had to eat fish. I hate fish. I didn't get out of it just because I didn't like it. We had to eat it.

So, raise kids to eat garbage, is it any wonder that they grow up to eat.....garbage?

Old 09-17-2019, 01:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Chinese aren't fat, but whenever they come to America they say if they had all this fat, cheap, and delicious food stuffed in their faces they would be just like us.
I know people who were born and raised in Hong Kong and had meals with them. They get full so fast, faster than me, and I'm a skinny 5'2" 103 lb. person! It's not the diet. They have fast food, junk food, processed food, bread, buffets, and hot pots - everything the USA has. And at home, they can eat as much as they want. So what causes them to eat less??

Separately, no one has mentioned genetics yet. If Asians really eat healthier and less, why are they still so short? If Americans ands white people eat more junk food and more food in general, why are they taller? I don't believe it's environment all the time.

One argument is that Asians in Asian countries are skinner because their diet is healthier and they eat less. What about Asian Ameicans born and raised in the USA? Are they fatter than the Asians in Asian countries? Are Asian Americans still skinner than white/black people?

Old 09-17-2019, 02:00 PM

814 posts, read 670,235 times
With mental health being on the rise American's are emotionally eating now more than ever.

Americans are sleeping less, this increases mental illness odds and decreases restraint.

American fast food is cheaper to buy.

Sugar addiction is real and proven to feed cancer cells.

And one of the biggest reasons America is fat imo is more people are on electronic devices and work at sedentary jobs than ever before. Our daily diet of 2500 calories should be lowered to 800-1500 calories. More emphasis should be put on eating 1-2 meals a day so our brains can function at a higher capacity rather than be working on digesting. Our bodies were meant to fast for much longer periods not suck in toxins that sit in our built up fat cells.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
Quote:
I suggest giving vouchers so you can only go out to eat once a week.
We need government help.
There should be a program similar to a carbon exchange so if you have money you can still get fat. Similar to allowing those with money fly private jets and cause the seas to rise.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So much for personal responsibility, eh?

Last time I checked, no one was forcing me to order a pizza or drink a soda....

75% of us ( about 175 million) are overweight/ obese and more vulnerable to serious health problems, than need be. Then we have the gall to complain about our healthcare costs.

It’s easier to blame throw than take personal responsibility.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
People have no more or less self control than they did 30 years ago.

And yet they are much fatter.
So the masses are being force fed?

Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I suggest giving vouchers so you can only go out to eat once a week.
We need government help.
There should be a program similar to a carbon exchange so if you have money you can still get fat. Similar to allowing those with money fly private jets and cause the seas to rise.
That is a very bad idea as is a "carbon exchange" controlled by the government which profits the government. I will be endless and used as just another slush fund raising people's cost of living immensely. Why would you want to give government even MORE power over you? It is always abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies