Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 04:21 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times

Advertisements

Most over weight people I know eat whatever they want and take the pills the Dr.'s give them to counter act the poor food choices. Dr.'s have pills for gout, hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes, acid re flux, and too much sodium. I know people who take all these pills every day.
The medical profession or the food and drug administration should be warning people that some of the stuff in the grocery store is no different than cigarettes and alcohol. I am sure the food lobby would not have that.

I went a grocery store once in New York or Jersey city ,maybe Secaucus, It was within walking distance of a Travel lodge. You could tell this store was heavily patronized by foreigners.There was nothing in the store but whole grains, fresh produce, meat and dairy. So I had to eat carrots, yogurt, and a banana for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 04:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Look at the advertising, range and convenience of pet food these days. People that can't manage their own weight, aren't that likely to do a good job with their pet's weight.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:25 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Oh yeah, and I should mention that both the pets and the worldwide issue kills the "people are getting fatter because it is more acceptable" argument.

You would have to claim that "fat acceptance" has become a thing in every country from the US to Egypt to the Samoan Islands in order to claim that people are getting fatter because it's become OK to do so. The odds of that happening are probably something close to zero.

You'd also have to claim that our dogs and cats have gotten fatter because they now think it's acceptable for them to be fat.

The ironic thing about pets is, probably the average pet diet has gotten considerably better in the past 10-20 years due to increase knowledge of, and awareness of, dog and cat nutrition. And yet, they've gotten fatter.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Look at the advertising, range and convenience of pet food these days. People that can't manage their own weight, aren't that likely to do a good job with their pet's weight.
Nope, that won't wash either. As I said just above, pet nutrition has gotten considerably better the past 10-20 years, and awareness thereof has grown. But pets are still getting fatter.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Nope, that won't wash either. As I said just above, pet nutrition has gotten considerably better the past 10-20 years, and awareness thereof has grown. But pets are still getting fatter.
Some people just feed their pets more, just like some people eat more.

Advertising doesn't exist to make you use less of something.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Some people just feed their pets more, just like some people eat more.

Advertising doesn't exist to make you use less of something.
People aren't feeding their pets any more or any less than they did 20 years ago.

But those pets are fatter.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
People aren't feeding their pets any more or any less than they did 20 years ago.

But those pets are fatter.
I just have to look at the feeding habits of my neighbour's pets, to make this questionable to me.

Pets often reflect their owners.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:38 PM

People do not feed their pets any more or less than they did 20 years ago.

I've no doubt some people do feed their pets too much. But then, some people fed their pets too much 20 years ago.

Everybody, everywhere is getting fatter. Our pets are getting fatter. What does that tell you?

Old 09-17-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
People do not feed their pets any more or less than they did 20 years ago.

I've no doubt some people do feed their pets too much. But then, some people fed their pets too much 20 years ago.

Everybody, everywhere is getting fatter. Our pets are getting fatter. What does that tell you?
I tend to think the obesity thing is a bit overrated -plenty of fat people around, but also plenty of slim/average people.

It's easier to get fat these days, and that's why people are getting fatter.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:50 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Once again ... no, the issue is not personal responsibility. 30 years ago, you did not have to be so "personally responsible" to stay thin.

Now you do. Something in the food we're eating now has changed - even the same foods.
I understand and respect that you are passionate about this subject, but I must disagree with you on that statement about 30 years ago if I understand it correctly. I was around then, and yes, you absolutely had to have personal responsibility to stay thin as much then as now. Ask anyone who was on a diet in the 80s (Atkins and Scarsdale diets, and aerobics craze) and the 90s (South Beach diet, spinning and marathons).

Quote:
One of the problems with that argument is, this is not just an American problem. It is almost world wide.

Is most of the entire world, "eating fattening food and sitting on their butts most of the time?"

You would really have to be stretching it to claim that the entire world is doing the exact same slacking off that Americans are doing.
Yes, it is is worldwide in cultures that are similar to ours, like the UK, but in other countries in Europe--Germany, France and Spain, it is quite noticeable that people are in shape, get a lot of exercise and eat fresh and low fat food.

In Central America--food and diet is very high carb and high fat. Japan--low fat diet and thinner people.

Some of it is genetic, and some of it is cultural, but I don't really understand the scientific validity of your premise that food is more fattening now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies