Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 08:32 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times

Advertisements

People have a "don't tell me what to do" mindset basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This doesn't pass the smell test for the following reasons:

1. The increase in obesity is not just in Americans. It it worldwide (at least among developed nations, but also many developing nations). You would have to demonstrate that nearly every developed country in the world eats more than they did 30 years ago.
2. As I showed earlier, pets are getting fatter. No, we are not feeding our pets more than we did 20 or 30 years ago.
3. As I also showed earlier, even research animals (!!!) are getting fatter. No, we are not feeding research animals more than we did 20 or 30 years ago!

Essentially, everything connected to the human food chain is getting fatter. Even things like research animals whose diets and exercise regimens are strictly controlled are getting fatter. This tells you there is something in the human food chain that is making everything fatter.

So you know better than researchers at UNC? I'll bite, what are your credentials?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
People have a "don't tell me what to do" mindset basically.
In the USA we are not raised as PROPERTY.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:45 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So you know better than researchers at UNC? I'll bite, what are your credentials?
And you know better than these people at York University?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...71403X15001210

Here are the authors:

Ruth E. Brown
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University

Arya M. Sharma
University of Alberta, Royal Alexandra Hospital

Chris I. Ardern

Pedi Mirdamadi

Paul Mirdamadi

Jennifer L. ***

Does that make you happy?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
And you know better than these people at York University?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...71403X15001210

Here are the authors:

Ruth E. Brown

Arya M. Sharma
University of Alberta, Royal Alexandra Hospital

Chris I. Ardern

Pedi Mirdamadi

Paul Mirdamadi

Jennifer L. ***

Does that make you happy?

I didn't claim I do. I cited other studies and credentialed people who disagreed with their conclusions. You just said "I don't believe it" to the study I cited.

I assume you see the difference.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I didn't claim I do. I cited other studies and credentialed people who disagreed with their conclusions. You just said "I don't believe it" to the study I cited.

I assume you see the difference.
I could also show you the credentials of the entities who discovered that pets are getting fatter, and even that research animals are getting fatter. I could furthermore show you the credentials of the entities calculating obesity rates around the world.

Would that make you happy?

Old 09-20-2019, 08:53 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I used to do 250 miles a week road cycling. Every Saturday morning was 75 or 100 miles.

The main reason I quit road cycling had to do with physical safety. By the time I was in my latter 50s, I realized I wasn't going to bounce back up after a crash anymore.

But when I was younger, the road and the wheels were my medicine. Nothing like seeing the pavement whipping between your knees at 30 miles an hour.

I tried cycling but could't cope with the saddle soreness
But I wish I had struck with it because all the running I did played havoc with my knees in later life.
There comes a point in a fellow's life when it's time to get a dog for exercise.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:18 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
If conditions start to change to the extent that you can no longer eat a chicken sandwich without putting on a pound, whereas 30 years ago you could eat a chicken sandwich without gaining any weight at all, then it is time to start doing something about the conditions instead of fruitlessly trying to adapt to them.
How has a chicken sandwich changed?

Old 09-20-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I could also show you the credentials of the entities who discovered that pets are getting fatter, and even that research animals are getting fatter. I could furthermore show you the credentials of the entities calculating obesity rates around the world.

Here is the study on animals ...

Article:
https://www.the-scientist.com/daily-...tter-too-42960

Actual study:
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rspb.2010.1890

- Pets are getting fatter
- Laboratory mice are getting fatter
- Captive chimpanzees are getting fatter
- Even feral rates in Baltimore are getting fatter!

Everything associated with the modern human food chain is getting fatter (and I presume the feral rates in Baltimore eat a lot of human garbage).

Now, what can we possibly conclude from that information other than there is something in the modern human food chain that is making everything fatter?

Are feral rates in Baltimore getting fatter because they've been told it's OK to be fat and they aren't exercising as much as they used to?

Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:

None of that addresses your skepticism about the UNC study's claim of increased caloric intake on average, so.... no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies