Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 11:22 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

And the answer is not to have a class of people splurge on expensive diets and gym memberships. Its about how we work, interact, and live. Its about how corporate America has modeled our consumption habit and how the media and the government enforce it.

Also mountain Dew executives need to be arrested, that drink is a hundred times worse than coke and pepsi. Doritos/Papa Johns, etc. also need to be jailed.
People like you need to be jailed for wanting to jail other people for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 12:12 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not the one affirming an intention to remain fat.

OK, I'll bite. Where do we draw the line with this? Do you do anything that increases your chances of making a medical claim? Sports? Having a child? Ride a bicycle? Live in a bad neighborhood? Hunt? Don't have snow tires for winter if you live in a snowy/icing area? Jog?

Do you see where I'm going with this? Everyone does things that can put them at a higher risking of making a medical claim. But you, from your lofty throne of internet message forum power, have decided that the government should intervene in the lives of overweight people while everyone else gets a pass.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:48 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Stress and everything has sugar in it. Cars and sedentary jobs. Too much if everything and easily aquiered. I can uber a burger to myself right now.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
You see Americans in the 40s-70s didn't get fat while still eating burgers, sausages, whole fat milk, and still have Apple pies and bagels.

Why are people fatter now?

I happen to think that in America we don't have much good food anymore We have too much junk and processed foods. That's is what is making people fat, eating too much junk food and not much real wholesome good food.

People in the past decades always drank whole milk, fresh bread from bakeries that last only 3-4 days, and the chicken back in those days weren't as huge as today. Food back then had less preservatives, no anti-biotics, no artificial hormones.

Today, people are fat and allergic to nuts and other crap because the ingredients used today are of inferior quality.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:00 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You see Americans in the 40s-70s didn't get fat while still eating burgers, sausages, whole fat milk, and still have Apple pies and bagels.

Why are people fatter now?

I happen to think that in America we don't have much good food anymore We have too much junk and processed foods. That's is what is making people fat, eating too much junk food and not much real wholesome good food.

People in the past decades always drank whole milk, fresh bread from bakeries that last only 3-4 days, and the chicken back in those days weren't as huge as today. Food back then had less preservatives, no anti-biotics, no artificial hormones.

Today, people are fat and allergic to nuts and other crap because the ingredients used today are of inferior quality.
Fast food restaurants exploded in the last several decades, back in the 1950 to 1960's they were almost non-existent, also people have a much more sedentary life style today. Some of the more poor areas don't have access to decent supermarkets.

I see where obesity is exploding in 3rd world countries, Ghana has gone from a obesity rate of single digits to 13% as they embrace fast food chains like KFC. Diabetes also increasing dramatically.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:32 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
OK, I'll bite. Where do we draw the line with this? Do you do anything that increases your chances of making a medical claim? Sports? Having a child? Ride a bicycle? Live in a bad neighborhood? Hunt? Don't have snow tires for winter if you live in a snowy/icing area? Jog?

Do you see where I'm going with this? Everyone does things that can put them at a higher risking of making a medical claim. But you, from your lofty throne of internet message forum power, have decided that the government should intervene in the lives of overweight people while everyone else gets a pass.

You were the person practically boasting about being fat, as though it were a thing of virtue.

Diabetes doesn't care about your body positivity.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:24 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Listen carefully: I'm fat because I like to eat and don't like to exercise. It's not some big corporation's fault - my fatness is 100% my own doing. I know, I know, the whole "personal responsibility" thing triggers lefties.
At least you admit it. Just spare us the body positivity social media posts. There is nothing positive about being fat.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:34 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Insulin resistance. The foods people eat mess up metabolism. The damage can be permanent. Energy in - Energy out applied to our bodies is not as straightforward as burning coal. The biochemical machinery can be damaged.
Are you saying insulin automatically causes weight gain?

Old 12-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
At least you admit it. Just spare us the body positivity social media posts. There is nothing positive about being fat.

Please spare me the made-up statements you attribute to me. I didn't say anything body positivity. It's not OK to be fat and I'm not proud of it. You need to go back and read my original post. I said my fatness is my responsibility, not some corporations. Feed free to address that point instead of some manufactured nonsense that I support the body positivity movement when, in fact, I never posted anything remotely indicating I think body positivity is OK. I personally think its just an excuse to absolve people from taking responsibility for their body situation. Oops - there's that pesky "personal responsibility" thing. Scary how it applies to so many aspects of our lives, isn't it?

Old 12-15-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You were the person practically boasting about being fat, as though it were a thing of virtue.

Diabetes doesn't care about your body positivity.

Not boasting, just fully aware of my own shortcomings. Never said it was a virtue. Never said anything about body positivity. And I don't have diabetes. Where did you get all of this crap? Are you confusing me with someone else? Speaking of being self aware, is the notion that your reading comprehension is a bit subpar starting to filter up into consciousness? Not trying to mean, but you just attributed a whole bunch of stuff to me that I didn't write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies