Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, cleanliness and having the equipment in working order is not "fluff". Some of this other stuff too is important to some patients.

Yes, and do note that the female dominated profession (nursing) is 9 out of the top 10.
I don't think most people can tell the difference between a room / process that appears clean vs a room/ process that is not harboring bacteria.

You made my point. The US healthcare consumer values nice, service and choice and then howls about the cost.

75% of us are overweight/obese and substantially more vulnerable to serious health problems which cost $ to treat.

In other words, our unique value system, results in higher healthcare costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 12:04 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

https://news.aamc.org/press-releases...ctions-update/

https://news.aamc.org/press-releases...ant-data-2018/

At first, many celebrate the 52 percent of first-year medical students being women as a step forward but new numbers show that there could be a massive shortage of medical care due to this.

It's one thing that women are the majority of medical school students, but many will marry in their same socio-economic class and many will end up working part-time.

31 percent of women doctors with children work part-time compared to 5% of men

In a study though, 64 percent of women medical doctors have considered moving to part-time status which is triple the rate of males.

Seems like this will add to the perfect storm of baby boomers increasing health needs, the skyrocketing obesity rates that will cause tens of millions of adults into chronic conditions, plus doctors would likely earn a fraction of what they make now because Medicare has extremely low reimbursement rates compared to commercial insurance which subsidizing Medicare's low rates.
This post is based on a completely false premise. The very first link that OP provided is to a right wing outfit which seems to have pulled its so called "statistics" out of thin air and than falsely attributed them to JAMA:

Two recent studies about women in advanced professions illustrate the costs of this kind of thinking. The first focuses on women in medicine. Currently, women occupy half the seats in medical schools and graduate at roughly the same rate as men. Though many women practice medicine full-time, most, according to a JAMA survey, ultimately work part-time or want to shorten their hours.

If you click on the JAMA link above, you will find yourself directed to a page which lists study after study EXCEPT for the one of female physicians. Maybe they thought no one would bother to call them on it. Worse yet, maybe it's a typo and they don't care enough about their integrity to bother to proofread. Who knows?

What I do know is that yet again, we are being presented with FAKE NEWS. No one should take the veracity of junk posted on the Internet for granted these days. If the issue is important enough to you, fact check it first.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:16 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Doctors should be working less than they do.
One of the biggest causes of medical malpractice is overworked and under-rested doctors.
Medical mistakes are also one of the leading causes of death in the United States today.
Overhead is rising and reimbursement falling. Thus, to pay for one's overhead, you have to work pretty hard.

People fail to understand that physicians have substantial cost (staff, rent, supplies, insurance, ect) before we make a dime.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:19 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
[b]

This post is based on a completely false premise. The very first link that OP provided is to a right wing outfit which seems to have pulled its so called "statistics" out of thin air and than falsely attributed them to JAMA:

Two recent studies about women in advanced professions illustrate the costs of this kind of thinking. The first focuses on women in medicine. Currently, women occupy half the seats in medical schools and graduate at roughly the same rate as men. Though many women practice medicine full-time, most, according to a JAMA survey, ultimately work part-time or want to shorten their hours.

If you click on the JAMA link above, you will find yourself directed to a page which lists study after study EXCEPT for the one of female physicians. Maybe they thought no one would bother to call them on it. Worse yet, maybe it's a typo and they don't care enough about their integrity to bother to proofread. Who knows?

What I do know is that yet again, we are being presented with FAKE NEWS. No one should take the veracity of junk posted on the Internet for granted these days. If the issue is important enough to you, fact check it first.
You are dead wrong.

MANY female physicians go to part time when they have kids. We see that everywhere in medicine. I take a cursory look at my medical school class 33 years ago. Out of 75 women, there are only 15 that are still practicing full time- that's it.

I don't blame them- it's just the way things are. Again, women in medicine tend to have lower malpractice rates, so they are doing something right. However, you cannot force a physician to stay in the work force if they don't want to do so. They started with the notion of becoming a doctor long before they had their first date. So if and when you get married and have kids, priorities change.

I don't know of a single physician/physician marriage in which the female still works full time- not one. The only time things "work" is when a female doc marries a non-physician with a lower income and they stay at home with the kids. My sister did this with her husband.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So do you think that women who are doctors shouldn't be able to work part time or that we shouldn't let women be doctors....

Not sure what the purpose of your gripe is.

Note that if a parent chooses a career in which they can make a decent living part time and still meet their goals of being an involved, present parent, I don't see the issue with that. I wish more men did it as well - work a good paying career and spend more time with their families.

Family IMO is more important than a career. I'll also note I've worked with many universities that have medical schools/colleges and PA or NP programs and many of them tout the fact to their applicants that in today's day and age you don't have to work 60-80 hours a week or more anymore and that you can make a good income working 20-50 hours with 2-3 days off a week. I'm glad more women are becoming physicians and they are choosing a good work/life balance for their families.

IMO the major issues with America today are that too many of us still place too much value/emphasis on work as an identity instead of our families and people we love. People are more important than money/work.
Yes. My sister is a physician (pediatrician) who works part time because of family/life balance. Works quite well for her and her children.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:24 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You are dead wrong.

MANY female physicians go to part time when they have kids. We see that everywhere in medicine. I take a cursory look at my medical school class 33 years ago. Out of 75 women, there are only 15 that are still practicing full time- that's it.
That is YOUR anecdotal experience and as a physician you should be skeptical of anecdotal evidence. I have two female cousins who are MD's and each has worked full time for going on 40 years. Do you have an actual link to an actual JAMA study? I honestly would like to read the study if you do.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:26 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You are dead wrong.

I don't blame them- it's just the way things are. Again, women in medicine tend to have lower malpractice rates, so they are doing something right. However, you cannot force a physician to stay in the work force if they don't want to do so. They started with the notion of becoming a doctor long before they had their first date. So if and when you get married and have kids, priorities change.

I don't know of a single physician/physician marriage in which the female still works full time- not one. The only time things "work" is when a female doc marries a non-physician with a lower income and they stay at home with the kids. My sister did this with her husband.
Many people forget just how much of your young years are wrapped up in achieving the single goal of becoming a physician. And the realities of being a physician over a course of a career changes quite a bit which can steer someone to another profession or out of clinical practice. The hours are way over the top as well but as you correctly pointed out, all this overhead and lowered reimbursement means longer hours. Medicine is many things including a business.

One other aspect is physicians adapt well to other profession as well. They have proven how adapt they are at quick thinking, learning fast, leading teams, creating plans and seeing them through. And all can be done independently which is a great skill set for other professions with higher "reimbursements".

This is starting to play out with Nurse Practitioners as well, as much crap as mid level providers take "for lack of a better word" their experience puts them in better positions to handle certain professions than business or other type of graduates. I think there will be increased movement of both Physicians and NP/PA's moving out of medicine and into other areas of opportunities.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't think most people can tell the difference between a room / process that appears clean vs a room/ process that is not harboring bacteria.

You made my point. The US healthcare consumer values nice, service and choice and then howls about the cost.

75% of us are overweight/obese and substantially more vulnerable to serious health problems which cost $ to treat.

In other words, our unique value system, results in higher healthcare costs.
That doesn't make sense.

Back in the late 60s/early 70s, when I was in nursing school, there was not this emphasis on "luxury" service, yet we were taught that a patient's grooming and the like was important to them. I can still remember in one of my early jobs, this would be mid-70s, carefully brushing the hair of a woman on chemo, whose hair was falling out, so that I didn't brush out whole handfuls of hair. She got to have her hair another day or so. But I'm not a hairdresser and I didn't have time to do that stuff every day for every patient.

My husband, not a particularly vain person, always had a full head of thick hair. He was quite upset when his hair started falling out d/t chemo. One of the techs said it took a lot of talking to get him to agree to let her shave his head. She did have special equipment for this.

Wifi can be important to someone in the hospital for chemo, to help pass the time of day, as is a working TV which I mentioned earlier. One of his rooms didn't have window anywhere on the floor where he was allowed to be with his low blood counts. TV was an outlet on the world. And the US does have the best cancer survival statistics in the world. Maybe attention to the patient's mental health helps.

Re: ordering food, maybe they just want to know if it's a service worth keeping. I dunno. Complaining about hospital food is practically a national pastime, so being able to order food is a good thing. DH could order food, too, but on his own. We frequently saw pizza delivery people on his bone marrow transplant floor.

Pay per view? As above, this may be important to someone who has a lot of time to while away.

Shriek! Not this again! You have 188 posts about obesity. It makes me wonder. I have posted many times over that obesity is not just a US problem. It's a first world problem. In the OCED countries:
https://www.oecd.org/els/health-syst...pdate-2017.pdf
OCED average: 19.5%
Countries exceeding OCED average: 15.

As of 2019, the highest % of obesity in the US is in West Virginia with 39.5%.
https://www.stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

You want to know why we have higher health care costs? There are many reasons. I post on a number of other message boards (gasp!) and a lot of them have people from Canada, the UK and other countries. It's really quite surprising to read about these other systems. While you have to be careful what to believe, I generally know who is being factual. In some UHC/SP countries, you don't get an annual physical until you are a senior citizen. Heck, you don't even get a free flu shot in many countries unless you are at high risk, under 5 or over 65. There are lots of little ways. Did I mention we have the highest cancer survival rate in the world? One reason, I think, for that is that we do so much testing, something the UHC advocates sometimes decry. Why is it wrong to test (as long as the test is valid)? When I worked in pediatrics, if a parent wanted a test, say for celiac, which a lot of our parents asked for, they got it. If they had a concern, we tried to take care of it. Most of these celiac tests came back negative, as expected, but at least it gave the parents some peace of mind (or not; many were disappointed to find out their kid didn't have it).
https://www.healio.com/hematology-on...ghest-in-world

Old 09-19-2019, 02:57 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

[b]What I do know is that yet again, we are being presented with FAKE NEWS. No one should take the veracity of junk posted on the Internet for granted these days. If the issue is important enough to you, fact check it first.
What you don't know is that a bad link doesn't mean the article is FAKE NEWS. The link goes to JAMA itself, not directly to the research. Lazy or a mistake, or they figured if the issue is important to you, you could easily find it.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2740777

[Click on PDF if that isn't too much trouble.]

Old 09-20-2019, 09:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I see the other side about working less and being with family more. But I think you only see half of my side. We take 6 weeks off. We used to take as much time as we wanted when we were getting paid by the case, but the mandatory minimum was 6 weeks. In other words, you were forced to take at least 6 weeks off, because it was felt at least that much was needed in this high stress, high work hour profession, in order to recharge. Now that we are on salary, the more vacation, the better, but the corporation we sold to, liked the 6 week number, so they kept us at that.

Now, I believe on spending a lot of money on experiences, rather that material goods. One day, those material goods may be gone, but memories last forever. Working as much as I do, allows me to take my family of 5, on some really memorable trips that someone who works less might not be able to afford. One day, when I am old, those memories will be priceless. And more importantly, they are memories that my kids will have forever. So sure, I may miss a parent teacher night here, or a soccer game there, but I will always have dinner with the family on the Eiffel Tower, Kite sailing lessons with the kids on St Bart’s, Annual ski trips in Aspen and Vail, as well as other local experiences like taking the kids backstage to meet their favorite musicians, sitting on the 50 years line at NFL games, etc, etc, etc.

And I’m not denigrating the memories derived from every day life. Those are great. I’m just saying that in the “memories department” I think I am making up for it. Plus, with the extra hours, the other parent doesn’t have to work, so at least you dont have to depend on daycare to raise your kids.
I think everyone has their own preferences in regards to time off versus work. I understand your POV. I also agree with much of it as I also value spending money on experiences versus on items.

However, as an SCM professional, I get up to 8 weeks off per year with both sick and vacation time included. I get 4 weeks of paid vacation. I usually don't take them off but this past couple years I've made it a habit to take them all and use up a siginificant amount of my sick time.

I also have the option of working virtual or part time if I choose but I like to work as I'd be bored if I didn't most of the day lol.

I didn't think you were denigrating regular life, I just was letting it be known that many young people - primarily my age and younger, they value their time more than working long hours. This includes people I know who are professionals like physicians and those who work lower level service jobs. Attitudes about work are just changing and the OP doesn't reflect that part time work for physicians is now becoming reality for not only women physicians but men too as was noted by hawkeye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies