Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We should all do what we can.

I don't think it has to be a big huge New Green Deal. I mean that's a lofty plan but let's take baby steps.

I've brought home one plastic bag in the last month. I have reusable bags, or use paper.

I opt out of taking straws.

I have reduced red meat consumption --as much for my health as for the health of the planet.

I try not to use harsh chemicals....

Just little things.........

We did look into solar panels. We should have done it 10 years ago. It would have paid for itself by now but now we don't know if we will be here in 10 years....and whether WE sill see the benefit.

I try not to water my lawn every day. My grass is as green as my neighbors who water every day. So that's an easy thing to do.

Drive cars that get good gas mileage.

You know little things...we can all pick and choose and slowly adapt.
This

One of the most reasonable posts on the topic yet. It really is all any of us can do and it is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 PM

393 posts, read 166,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Gosh, I don't know anyone who flies their own chartered plane. All of us do what we can, and have done for many years. I could give you a list of all the measures I have taken, but that would be rather pointless, as I don't really care if you think I'm a hypocrite. Many times, measures that make a big difference are those that take collective action, not just small individual acts. I would venture to guess that you know very little about the private actions of those you call "Climate Liars," and would not be giving them "more consideration, no matter what they do.

I would like to see that list of measures. I bet in the past week you drank out of a plastic container or used a plastic trash bag. Or the HORROR used a plastic straw.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:08 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The OP hasn't a clue what Democrats believe. No one believes there is only 11 years left. He needs to brush up on his facts before he posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If you believe that democrats believe that, you live on a different planet.
“And I think the part of it that is generational is that millennials and people, in gen z, and all these folks that come after us are looking up and we’re like, the world is gonna end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change."
AOC

Old 09-22-2019, 06:11 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
he's made some improvements... but

https://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/al-gores-mansion/
LOL so the question begs. Did gore make the changes because he believes in the message or because he was outed as a hypocrite?

Like Bush, my house in the states uses a Geo Thermal heat pump for heating and cooling I also had solar panels to save on my power bill. My son bought the property from me for a dollar and has since added even more solar panels and a small wind mill. The house is on top of a mountain and it's always windy.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
we can do everything that the demmmy want on climate control and drive the economy into the ground, and then the world would still end because of china

Old 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM

1,705 posts, read 537,691 times
Wah wah wah... People who cares about the climate should just live in a shack, walk or bike, and never touch a grocery bag.

ALL RIGHT WING TALKINGPOINTS!!!

That will only make a tiny dip in C02 production.. the main culprits are Electricity & Heat, Manufacturing and Transport sectors.

If you dont reduce the 3 BIG... Banning plastic straws is NOT GONNA HELP.

If you want to use less plastics, less energi intensive meat products or cut air travel... GOOD, please do!
But dont let the Right wing talking points swing the focus from what actually produces the Co2, to "what you can do".

Electricity and Heat produces 40% of all Co2.. your plastic straws or grocery bags are 0.00000001% of Co2 production

Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM

1,705 posts, read 537,691 times

Old 09-22-2019, 06:21 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
"take place slowly over decades"

Texas: 1900 Galveston hurricane.... deadliest natural disaster to impact the United States.
Miami: 1926 hurricane crossed Puerto Rico and hit Miami....372 deaths
Okeechobee: 1928 hurricane crossed Puerto Rico as a Cat 5... 312 deaths Puerto Rico... 2,500 deaths Florida
Nebraska: 1881....entire towns swept away....flood was 5 miles wide and lasted for weeks

"unprecedented" ...only if you are stupid enough to fall for it

You're missing the key point, I'm afraid. There were bad storms in history prior to high levels of man-made CO2, of course. The difference is how far apart they were spaced. Your data is cherry-picked to show 4 bad events over a 47 year period. With climate change we are now seeing 1,000 year events somewhere in the U.S. every year.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:27 PM

18,427 posts, read 8,258,982 times
no you missed the point....it was about major hurricanes....not how far apart or how many years...only that they were all before global warming

108 cyclones...just in Florida....in 49 years..........

In the period between 1900 and 1949, 108 tropical cyclones affected the state, which collectively resulted in about $4.5 billion (2017 dollars) in damage. Additionally, tropical cyclones in Florida were directly responsible for about 3,500 fatalities during the period, most of which from the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane. The 1947 season was the year with the most tropical cyclones affecting the state, with a total of six systems. The 1905, 1908, 1913, 1927, 1931, 1942, and 1943 seasons were the only years during the period in which a storm did not affect the state.

The strongest hurricane to hit the state during the period was the 1935 Labor Day hurricane, which is the strongest hurricane on record to strike the United States.[8] Several other major hurricanes struck the state during the period, including the 1926 Miami hurricane, the 1928 Okeechobee hurricane, and several Category 4 hurricanes in the period 1945–50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ida_hurricanes

..and hurricanes didn't get the global warming memo..because they are trending down > https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOrk4_pX4AAqfIs.jpg

Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
So almost ALL DEMOCRATS believe we have less than 11 years left due to climate change, but have done absolutely nothing about combating climate change!!
Why are you blaming Democrats when we have a Senate full of climate deniers and a climate denier president? They will block any bill that does anything about climate change because they've been bribed by the fossil fuel industry.

My blue state, California, has made tremendous strides in reducing CO2 emissions. Our cap and trade program has been a great success both in reducing emissions and generating revenue. Aggressive greening of our electrical utilities has worked out very well with record amounts of solar, wind and hydro power.

Democrats can and will do lots to combat climate change -- once we get the knuckle dragging Republicans out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies