Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm saying throwing money at them is NOT the answer just to be clear.

I have my own thoughts on specifics about education like making financial literacy a key component of K-12 because without a solid financial understanding and foundation to act responsibly, it leads to a lot of bad behavior and feeling frustrated. We also need to give teachers more control, I hear way too much about being afraid or not allowed to give kids bad grades. We need to make education more strict in a black and white way, and give kids opportunities to be more focused on what interests them. TONS of kids go to school for business and yet are forced to have a heavy focus on science in school, with very little focus on business. While its very important to understand basic science, the same can be said for business.

As for health care, I don't know. I'm of the belief that we need a more free market approach to health care so we can get the government out of it for the most part. They manipulate the market and cause bubbles with all of their plans and lobbying that is allowed to influence them.
I understood you didn't want to throw money - that was clear. I agree that it would need to be used in a meaningful way, not just funded without thought. I think funding the right people in line with the right solutions are needed. I think some people just propose de-funding without a thought on how a program can be more effective, and that's also not great.

I agree with some of your thoughts on education. But it also seems like a lot of these people end up being loners as adults, and that's more of socializing and acceptance. I'm sure there's plenty of kids that fall through the cracks, and it's not just because school isn't teaching them what interests them. I'm not a social worker and can't add more to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 11:56 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Suicides and gang on gang murders....75%?
True and the remainder are other crimes, with maybe 1% accidents with guns.

How many knife injuries? I bet a lot of people cut themselves in the kitchen and doing other stuff with a knife.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
He could have accomplished the same with a C-Products 40 round magazine. He only shot 41 times.

It wasn't a random picture. It was purposely chosen to make a point. That Ruger Mini-30 is functionally the same as an AK-47. It is a semi-automatic, magazine fed rifle that shoots a 7.62x39mm cartridge. No one has ever questioned the ownership of a Mini-30 rifle.

And equivalent comparison would be like saying the Ford F-150 truck is evil and dangerous but the Chevy Silverado and Toyota Tundra are perfectly OK to own.

Also, I'm not OK with violence against innocents. On the other hand, I am not against violence. When required it should be swift, focused and rise to the level required to stop unnecessary violence.

You say this was preventable and I agree. This guy more than enough warning signs that he should not have been allowed to walk among peaceful people. If you want to blame someone, there are many people who knew him and ignored the warning signs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/05/u...nor-betts.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-says-n1039926
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/us/co...ile/index.html
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dayton-...ay-2019-08-06/
1.So 40 is also likely too much.
2.Yep, that's my point. the mini whatever it is should also be considered like the AK-47 then.
3. I agree with you on number 3. There's no shortage of people that failed to do their job. All of this missteps should be scrutinized if there were so many red flags.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:59 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,093 times
Go to the 7:20 mark in this video. She explains very clearly what I was saying in post #99.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=20RoAfflGCM

Old 09-19-2019, 12:04 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
2017 US murders....... 17, 263

'There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, and this number is not disputed. U.S. population 324,059,091 as of Wednesday, June 22, 2016.'

17% gang/criminal related

65% suicide.... well you do support assisted suicide
How many were defensive uses, and how many of the criminal homicides were done with an illegally obtained firearm?

Old 09-19-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
That last part is not true. We’re not cool with it. I would like to see it zero because I enjoy marksmanship and firearms. I’m sick and tired of hearing that my hobby is a danger. The issue is not you care and I don’t. The issue is that any government that does not trust its citizens to be armed is itself not trustworthy and history has shown how dangerous it is for citizens to be disarmed. People scoff at statements like that but at the same time say Trump is a tyrant and is endangering the country. So we should just sit back and let it happen?
Most other civilized countries have a generally unarmed citizenry and are generally safer than the United States.

Quote:

The second issue is that we do have it written into the constitution that the citizens have an individual right to keep and bear arms (Heller and McDonald SCOTUS cases confirmed). Regardless of one’s opinion on firearms, there are serious legal obstacles to just walking in and taking people’s possessions, especially firearms. As a practical matter then, efforts should be focused on things that are achievable. Red Flag laws might be headed in the right direction but NOT the way they’re being used now. There is clear violation of due process and this will eventually also be fought out in the courts. Maryland already has had one person killed as a result of firearm seizure without due process.
People should have the right to bear arms, but the second amendment is one of the most misrepresented pieces of the constitution, which was written in the 1780s.

Quote:

The reason I mentioned about other causes of death is that I do not believe that most people who care about gun deaths, care that much about other deaths. Perhaps you do and in that case, I see you as a minority. There are plenty of organizations fighting gun ownership. The NRA and similar are vastly outspent by anti-gun organizations and I mean by probably an order of magnitude. I don’t see vitriol in any other concern over deaths like I do with guns. Too many of the people I encounter simply hate guns, period, and they couldn’t care less about the numbers killed.
I think the reason people get more concerned about gun deaths is often it was not the victim's own behavior that led to the gun death (except for suicide), especially in some of these recent mass shootings. Occasionally car accidents are. Some of the health issues are, some are not.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:18 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
1.So 40 is also likely too much.
2.Yep, that's my point. the mini whatever it is should also be considered like the AK-47 then.
3. I agree with you on number 3. There's no shortage of people that failed to do their job. All of this missteps should be scrutinized if there were so many red flags.
1. Is 30, the standard AR-15 capacity, too much? 20? 10? 5?
2. Then basically any semi-auto, center fired cartridge rifle is on your list? Both the 5.56x45 and the 7.62x30 cartridges are considered intermediate sized. You have full sized and magnum rounds as well.
This is only a fraction of the available cartridges. People have hand and shoulder fired guns designed for cartridges 1 through 80.

Were they missteps or policy? The kid that shot up the Florida school was so prone to violence that he had a resource office shadow him during school hours. People thought that was acceptable and didn't want to put something on his permanent record. What do we do when a dog can't stop biting?

Old 09-19-2019, 12:20 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Most other civilized countries have a generally unarmed citizenry and are generally safer than the United States.

People should have the right to bear arms, but the second amendment is one of the most misrepresented pieces of the constitution, which was written in the 1780s.

I think the reason people get more concerned about gun deaths is often it was not the victim's own behavior that led to the gun death (except for suicide), especially in some of these recent mass shootings. Occasionally car accidents are. Some of the health issues are, some are not.
Please enlighten us with your interpretation.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:29 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
Thread fail. How many of those 40k were suicides vs how many suicides in a car.
Most of them but the gun control advocates don't want to have a rational and logical discussion, only have their arguments be heard.

The USA has a suicide rate far below many countries with great gun control so taking guns away doesn't stop are evidently reduce suicide.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:37 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I have a fingerprint reader on my cell phone, sometimes it takes 5-6 tries to get it right, sometimes it locks it and requires a manual input of a password. Do you really think thats a good idea for an item that is often needed in an emergency?

So, say, an older couple, man and wife, with an adult son living with them, would each have to have their own firearm, if each is keyed to a fingerprint reader. Grab the wrong one during a home invasion, and it won't fire. Plus they would be expensive and probably have a high failure rate (like cell phone readers as mentioned). No thanks. Hard pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies