Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,816,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
It is incontrovertible that CCW programs help deter crimes virtually everywhere they exist. The Florida experience is typical.

I would like to propose that President Trump, via Executive Order, direct the creation and implementation of a National CCW Permitting Program where permits would be issued on a "Shall-Issue" basis. It would include a background check, and the only basis for a denial of Permit would be a failure of said check.

The permit issue would be valid and enforceable by the Federal Government in ALL states and territories, and a refusal or failure of State of Local governments/agencies to honor such permits would be considered to be, and handled as, a violation of Civil Rights and prosecutable under cognizant federal statutes.

Once the procedures and process are crafted, operation of the program can be handled by the NRA and/or other gun-rights focused Civil Rights NGOs, funded by a small administrative fee.

Such a program would take a HUGE bite our of crime.

I LIKE it and could not agree more. Great idea. Personally, I would go a step further, use federal law to compel each and every State to be constitutional carry (open carry or concealed carry), and compel the State law to apply to everyone lawfully in the US who is not prohibited from carrying, regardless of age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 PM

4,337 posts, read 1,543,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Where does the fed govt get the authority to issue or deny carry permits?

No permit should be needed for a right you are born with and if you allow the fed govt say so over such rights, it can just as quickly take them away as it can grant them.

The state is not your friend
I am proposing that the fed government institute such a power/program via Executive Order in order to bypass and neuter those states more interested in power than personal liberty or even public safety. An end-around.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:02 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,109,069 times
Not a good idea. Some of you are too young to remember how the drinking age became 21 everywhere. Once you get the Federal government involved, expect the hammer to always swing to less freedom. It maybe nice when Trump is in power but when a Democratic president comes to power, they will change it so no one gets a CCW and that will be all she wrote for gun rights in this country.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:34 AM

45,137 posts, read 26,317,877 times
Quote:
I am proposing that the fed government institute such a power/program via Executive Order in order to bypass and neuter those states more interested in power than personal liberty or even public safety. An end-around.
And when an Elizabeth Warren, Beto O'Rourke, Kamala Harris or Andrew Yang becomes president and has their own executive orders?

Old 09-20-2019, 04:39 AM

57,067 posts, read 26,024,198 times
This is not going to happen, they are not going to loosen gun laws at the federal level and any more than they are going to do away with the 2nd amendment. If you think in this climate they would allow shall issue permits good luck, I would like to see it come up for a vote so they can go on record.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:05 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,997,710 times
Quote:
Because it’s a dumb idea.

It’s not legislation that went through the proper channels so the next democrat president will use an executive order to end it.

You’re impeding states rights. Leave the decision to them.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:14 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
Quote:
It is incontrovertible that CCW programs help deter crimes virtually everywhere they exist. The Florida experience is typical.

I would like to propose that President Trump, via Executive Order, direct the creation and implementation of a National CCW Permitting Program where permits would be issued on a "Shall-Issue" basis. It would include a background check, and the only basis for a denial of Permit would be a failure of said check.

The permit issue would be valid and enforceable by the Federal Government in ALL states and territories, and a refusal or failure of State of Local governments/agencies to honor such permits would be considered to be, and handled as, a violation of Civil Rights and prosecutable under cognizant federal statutes.

Once the procedures and process are crafted, operation of the program can be handled by the NRA and/or other gun-rights focused Civil Rights NGOs, funded by a small administrative fee.

Don't make the same mistake that Obama did with his EO's.....or at least, don't send Trump in the same less than honest direction that Obama went with the people.

Obama made all these EO's for the LBGQ community and the people cheered. He, however, did not take the next step which was to get up infront of the people and say, "Now, look, all these things I have done are only good while I am here. If the next President doesn't like it, they can wipe them all away. The only way to prevent that is to make it law, an Act of Congress. I call upon every American to contact their representatives and tell them, compel them to pass bills for these achievements, to be delivered to my desk which I will sign."

But he didn't do that, he let the people believe that because he said so, so it would be forever........and look what happened.

Sometimes, while they are praising your name, you got to get up and tell them the unpopular side of it.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:28 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:

It is not a privilege. I have no need to beg my government for my rights back.... They have no authority to take them from me and make me their property.

You make it sound as if you consent to being the property of the government.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:30 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Because it’s a dumb idea.

It’s not legislation that went through the proper channels so the next democrat president will use an executive order to end it.

You’re impeding states rights. Leave the decision to them.
The 2nd amendment, is not a 10th amendment issue.

McDonald v. Chicago

Old 09-20-2019, 06:32 AM

45,137 posts, read 26,317,877 times
Civil disobedience is the best way to deal with such illegitimate laws. You need to carry, go ahead and carry, just be smart about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies