Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 05:19 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

One difference between liberal and conservative thinking is that liberals don't seek to decide on a single morality and then force and enforce that among the population. .

Truly, what planet do you live on????
Too funny.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 08:36 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Many Islamic countries have gotten more backwards over the years. For example women in Afghanistan used to wear Western clothes instead of burqas. I wish Russia won their war against Afghanistan because the Taliban wouldn't have taken over and women would not be covered in burqas.
Afghanistan and Iran women wore non Islamic religious clothing. With thr fall of the shah and the the fall of the wall. Central Asian countries fell under extreme Islamic dogma.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 AM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
Many Islamic countries have gotten more backwards over the years. For example women in Afghanistan used to wear Western clothes instead of burqas. I wish Russia won their war against Afghanistan because the Taliban wouldn't have taken over and women would not be covered in burqas.
Say "thank you" to US that created, trained and paid for groups like al-Qaeda to wage the war against SU in Afghanistan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet%E2%80%93Afghan_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda

It is interesting to note that Islamic Fundamentalism (the actual topic of the thread) was a non-issue till the latter part of 20th century. And guess who fueled it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_fundamentalism

Quote from the above:

"During the Cold War following World War II, some NATO governments, particularly those of the United States and the United Kingdom, launched covert and overt campaigns to encourage and strengthen fundamentalist groups in the Middle East and southern Asia".

Ouch.

And finally, take a look at a country which was not "helped" by foreigners and population is predominantly Muslim:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey

Not that far from any country where majority is Christian, eh?

There are also other examples, although not that obvious and clear as Turkey. For example, did you know that there is huge part of population in Russia (~10mln, compact living mostly in Tatarstan)? And did you ever hear anything about them ? Right, nothing, since they acquired Russian culture for quite some time now, and culturally are basically the same as any Russian Christian.

Last edited by kanonka; 09-24-2019 at 01:14 AM..

Old 11-03-2019, 06:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Police and federal agents are investigating “hate-filled flyers and inscriptions†left around Western Connecticut State University’s campus Thursday night in Danbury.
It was not clear whether a student or “outside agitators†were responsible, but university President John Clark strongly condemned the materials and vowed to enforce the “severest disciplinary actions†regardless of whether students or someone off-campus made the flyers.

One flyer read "It's OK to be white" and the other read "Islam is right about women," Steinmetz said.

Clark slammed the incident as despicable, utterly unacceptable and disgusting...
Just a bit over the top with that reaction, aren't you President Clark?

https://www.courant.com/breaking-new...3le-story.html

Old 11-03-2019, 08:44 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can't be pro- any religion and also pro-gay or pro- women.

By the same logic.
Except you're wrong. I'm Jewish and support equal rights for gays. (Women already have equal rights.)

You sound very anti-religion. Must be a liberal.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:10 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Islam and Christianity openly endorse hatred towards non believers, so it's right to condemm them as hate filled idelogies.

This Harris fella, sounds like good people.
Nowhere in the New Testament is there any endorsement of hatred against non-believers or anyone. Where did you get such an outlandish idea?

Islam does refer to non-believers as "infidels". Not sure what the Koran says in how to deal with them.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:00 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can't be pro- any religion and also pro-gay or pro- women.

By the same logic.
Sure you can. There are dozens of Gay affirming Churches in my neighborhood alone, Rainbow flags all over the place. Gay affirming Mosques? Not

Here ya go, there are thousands of them. For whatever reason Dems like to lie to themselves and say that overall Christianity is the Equivalent to Islam. It's not, just try to find an equivalent list for Gay friendly Mosques

https://www.gaychurch.org/

Last edited by LS Jaun; 03-13-2020 at 12:11 AM..

Old 03-13-2020, 03:58 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Every Christian majority country is light years ahead in giving rights to women and treating them as equals compared to the Islamic world. We take this for granted. I wish this was appreciated more than it is.

Just a little more than a hundred years ago, our American society repressed women in much the same way. I heard this firsthand from older women on both sides of my family, when I was a young boy.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:56 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Just a little more than a hundred years ago, our American society repressed women in much the same way. I heard this firsthand from older women on both sides of my family, when I was a young boy.
Yeah, too bad majority Christian countries have moved forward on acceptance of people in the gay community, and Islamic countries, even formally Moderate countries such as Iran, Turkey, and Even Indonesia have gone back 100s of years. You can always move to one of them considering their "equivalent" to Chirstian majority countries like us

Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
The root problem is that faith based epistemology is invalid.

All the myriad problems that spring from dogmatic religion would not be able to take hold if it wasn't for the epistemology that empowers them to take root in peoples minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies