Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Are they MICROCOSMS? It's not about disputing whether they happened....but whether the cases represent the typical work place violence scenario...or atypical.
Perhaps they are microcosms, perhaps not. 7 recorded events of workplace violence is a smallish pool to make any real comparisons too in that particular regard.

Of the 7 listed, the only one I recall when it happened was of Vester Flanagan. A television field reporter, and a gay black man, he had a history of disruptive outbursts, and a history of charges in the workplace against coworkers and his employer for discrimination due to his orientation and race.

On one occasion a supervisor asked where Flanagan was going to be that afternoon, and the response by a fellow field reporter was "He will be out in the field". Flanagan heard the exchange and stated loudly " Out in the field? As in out in the cotton fields?", as if the white female reporter was making a veiled racial remark about him.

He went on to shoot her on live television, along with her cameraman.

I would not call that event as typical.

Last edited by snebarekim; 09-20-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I think that poster is a she. Disagree with a lot but the manners are there so I'm going with female.

We have to be careful to not squelch free speech. Not saying you want to but the more dialogue there is, the more the facts and truth are displayed, the better informed we can be.

The bigotry that I accuse that poster of is a perfect example of what actual bigotry is. It's not in your face, it's subtle.
I agree but free speech is not what the standard is here and I feel like the standard is different for some

Old 09-20-2019, 01:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
What I am saying is what I am seeing. I see you saying you are SUPERIOR.....and I am just pointing that out because I all the time read about, from you all, things that black people do wrong more than others.....but you all don't seem to want anyone to show whites as doing more wrongs than others in anyway....whether it be being racist or doing mass shootings.
Pointing out facts isn't a declaration of superiority. Evil comes in all shades.

It's FACT that many blacks, some Hispanics and a few Asians have been involved in these mass shootings. Stop lying about that. If they were all white people, we would say so.

Nobody is saying white people are perfect, but at least know what the hell you're talking about and make it factual.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:30 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Pointing out facts isn't a declaration of superiority. Evil comes in all shades.

It's FACT that many blacks, some Hispanics and a few Asians have been involved in these mass shootings. Stop lying about that. If they were all white people, we would say so.

Nobody is saying white people are perfect, but at least know what the hell you're talking about and make it factual.

Actions create reactions. During the last 400 years whites have been much less than perfect in its treatment of non-white as they embarked upon exploration then colonization and imperialism. The people that they have ACTED upon.....are still manifesting a REACTION from the past, while white are now enjoying the fruits of that past. Thus, now that whites have ABUNDANCE....you can appear more morally perfect.....while the people who have been used and abused....to get you there.....now are acting in a way that they learned.....FROM YOU ALL and how you treated them.

You dump your garbage in our community, metaphorically, then say its fact that our community smells worse then your. Would that have been true if not for you dumping your trash in our communities?

You all HATE when people bring up the past....because that is where the evidence is of you acting badly. You just want to look at today post the period when you were taking others lands, enslaving, discriminating, etc, to get to where you are today. Now you want to focus on others who are doing bad things....to try to get their piece of the pie.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:40 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
Quote:
Actions create reactions. During the last 400 years whites have been much less than perfect in its treatment of non-white as they embarked upon exploration then colonization and imperialism. The people that they have ACTED upon.....are still manifesting a REACTION from the past, while white are now enjoying the fruits of that past. Thus, now that whites have ABUNDANCE....you can appear more morally perfect.....while the people who have been used and abused....to get you there.....now are acting in a way that they learned.....FROM YOU ALL and how you treated them.

You dump your garbage in our community, metaphorically, then say its fact that our community smells worse then your. Would that have been true if not for you dumping your trash in our communities?

You all HATE when people bring up the past....because that is where the evidence is of you acting badly. You just want to look at today post the period when you were taking others lands, enslaving, discriminating, etc, to get to where you are today. Now you want to focus on others who are doing bad things....to try to get their piece of the pie.
Its sad that everytime you see a white person you see a slave owner and you see yourself as a slave. You need to get over it and stop blaming whites for your every problem.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:41 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:

You act as if this country has never looked into it's less than savory history. Are you a millennial by chance? None of this stuff is new to us.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:

Actions do create reactions. On this we agree.

During the past five to ten years we've seen numerous people lose their jobs because of witch hunts about words and things they did or said 20 years ago. Lives have been ruined.

At a sickening rate, we've heard about white privilege and reparations.

Violence against whites is on an upswing and can be found in large cities across the country.

If you're white and you try to correct an untruth, as I attempted to do in this thread, it's met with diatribes like the ones you've posted.

What reaction do you expect as a result of the above?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Here is the thing. Racist people need to always narrate things in such a way that their race is NEVER seen as inferior in anyway. They must always narrate things so that other races as seen as inferior. When whites are guilty of something.....they are hell bent on trying to NORMALIZE IT. They can't handle being seen as racist....more so than others....so they make is seem like EVERYONE is racist. Talk about slavery in the US....they will tell you of how blacks enslaved blacks. They will tell you that at one point or another, every race was enslaved. Point out the mass shooters and killings that were national news, most of the perpetrators being whites.....they go try to dig up ever case where more than two people were shot so that they can clear the reputation of white people by showing that blacks are the group doing most of the "mass shootings".

You go out your way to try to normalize or hide wrongs that whites do.....while on the other hand going out your way to de-normalize and high lite the wrong behavior of blacks.
I agree with this in regards to the OP.

Seems the OP is always posting stuff like this to try to make him/herself as a white person I guess feel that everyone else is worse than whites and he/she has some sort of weird offensiveness about any sort of media reports.

I'll note as a black person, I'm not all that invested in media. Media is very negative in its portrayal of black people versus whites (across all types of media).

And arguing over workplace shootings versus gang shootings versus mass shootings is all stupid, since, for one, they are different scenarios.

Americans in general shoot each other too much but a guy stabbing folks at his job in a rage over being fired is not the same thing as a kid going to school with a military style weapon and killing a bunch of kids or to a festival or Walmart to kill Latino people specifically, or someone going to a mosque to kill Muslims or a synagogue to kill Jews or even to a church to kill Christians (which has happened). Those have very different motives versus a gang banger whose life is centered on violence and fighting/killing other/rival gang members.

So the idea that they are the same is silly.

I'll note that I do feel that white people as a whole and the idea of what "whiteness" does need to be studied more in depth. There is a new field of study that does focus on the history of "whiteness" and the idea of what it means to be white and how white families socialize and have developed throughout history, especially from the late 1600s in America forward when being "white" started becoming important and a "thing." I personally consider it a fascinating subject but it seems a lot of white Americans are uncomfortable with it. These who are uncomfortable (and note I don't think all white Americans are uncomfortable with it) are the same people who like to cite statistics and studies about black people being some sort of negative way. They find value in that data yet they don't want to see similar data about white people of which they can draw conclusions because to them, they don't have anything worth studying since they see themselves as normal and everyone else as an "other." It is an interesting social view IMO.

Even the idea that saying "white" mean someone is racists lol, which I'm sure someone will claim I am because I wrote the word "white" about 10 times. I use "black" way more than "white" but those types of persons don't seem to notice it lol.

I think this scares people like the OP because they don't want to be labeled as having an issue. They use articles like the one in teh OP to deflect attention away from what whites are doing and frame whites as a victim. Interestingly, if one reviews the history of race in America, whites have always done this - create problems/issues of other groups, create data about them, then use said data to vilify the other group but they don't compile or study themselves in a similar way. It is interesting. And I agree it is done to assert their racial superiority.

Not all the posters in this thread typically do this, but the OP typically does as well as some others. So it is not surprising. It is surprising though that this comment above cause such a backlash of defensiveness of the posters in the thread when it was pretty generalized and specific to "racist people." Unless you are a "racist" person, I don't see how you were bothered by it.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:14 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Some important questions.
1) Why would anyone go and shoot a bunch of people in a work place after getting fired from a job?

2) How is a Black person committing a workplace shooting any worse than anyone else doing it?

Old 09-20-2019, 03:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Will note that the issue at hand is the idea that these facts about non-white people being involved in shootings is not reported on.

I mentioned above that black people are overwhelmingly portrayed as negative in media. A large part of this portrayal is the "fact" that black murderers are often on the news. I see them on local news all the time. I don't watch cable news (because I don't consider it "news" really just a bunch of pundit's opinions and advertisements). If there is a mass killing involving a black man/woman shooting people it makes the news. The "flash mobs" of black people attacking white people make the news. So the whining about these things being said about whites as if to make whites look bad is kind of silly to believe if we are going to look at the facts.

The whole idea that the OP is trying to push and maybe you are agreeing with - that black and other non-white people are not portrayed as violent criminals in the news - is a very strange idea on the part of the OP since it is a fact that non-white people are in media everyday for committing violent acts. I remember you stating you live in Chicago area and practically every month someone here posts something about Chicago shootings and killings and blame them on "black people" lol. FWIW I don't take offense and think its funny - the idea that "black people" can control killings in Chicago - even those of us it seems who don't even live in Chicago are supposed to get our "leaders" to control or stop it or something, I don't know. It is silly these people's fascinations with Chicago shootings/killings.

The OP IMO actually is trying to say that white people are "better" than blacks in regards to "mass shootings." And he/she is upset that this is not portrayed in media.

I'll note that I don't think you are one of the "racist people" that Indentured Servant was speaking of in regards to his initial comment. However, oftentimes when racist people post things like what is posted in the OP, non-racist people give them props so to speak and this does cause a racist assumption to be construed as a fact when it is not. It is a fact that black people are highly publicized as negative criminals by media, much moreso than whites are. The belief that they are not, is not based in "fact."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies