Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
The article tries to link erosion to climate change. LOL. And the predictions they make now extend past the point where anybody reading them today would be alive to rightly ridicule them when they don't come to pass. (2100)

The article conflates erosion with sea-level rise as equal threats to coastal land, but erosion is by far a bigger natural problem and there are actions that can be taken to mitigate it. There are still plenty of people who want waterfront land to include President Netflix, who is more of a "do as I say, not as I do" guy.
^^^^This. All accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The us military is preparing for and making plans to adjust to sea level rise.
The US military is a bunch of liberal environmentalist hippies. Why would anyone believe them?

Old 09-21-2019, 11:37 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
..or better yet...why would the military not prepare for something that is happening at the rate of less than 1 inch a decade

Old 09-21-2019, 11:37 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Lets be honest here for a minute.

The OP's source said "by the end of the century....".

The fact that even the short term weather prediction models have proven inaccurate, how can we predict what the weather is going to do in the next 80 years?

Old 09-21-2019, 11:47 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
A recent friend of mine living in the Florida Keys told me it was getting harder to sell coastal property there. Apparently this is being confirmed by Bloomberg. People are having second thoughts moving to Low lying areas given rising sea levels, temperatures and storm strength. I wonder why.
I've explained that in detail on 50 different threads.

It's not going to be a mass exodus. It will be a trickle so slow no one will even notice.

Quote:
This is the future. All you deniers in Florida, or residents in any coastal area for that matter, better wake the hell up. This is the future of Florida, if not all coastal, real estate.
Why do I care?

I don't own real estate in the US and don't give a damn if people can live on beach front property or not.

Quote:
The costs of climate change will just get higher and higher with every passing year.

This is just the beginning.
Like a typical denier, you can't stomach real science:

Palaeo data suggest that Greenland must have been largely ice free during Marine Isotope Stage 11 (MIS-11). The globally averaged MIS-11 sea level is estimated to have reached between 6–13 m above that of today.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16008

“Even though the warm Eemian period was a period when the oceans were four to eight meters higher than today, the ice sheet in northwest Greenland was only a few hundred meters lower than the current level, which indicates that the contribution from the Greenland ice sheet was less than half the total sea-level rise during that period,†says Dorthe Dahl-Jensen, Professor at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, and leader of the NEEM-project.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/n...e-of-the-past/

If you never burned an ounce of fossil fuel, your sea levels would still rise 3 meters to 14 meters and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Science: It's what's real.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:48 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
I was speaking of the Floridians who are deniers. I am a Floridian, I am not a denier. It is beyond comprehension how or even why a Floridian would deny anthropogenic climate change given all they have to lose.
Are deniers saying sea level is actually going down, not up, across the Florida Keys?

Old 09-21-2019, 03:06 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
Quote:
I was speaking of the Floridians who are deniers. I am a Floridian, I am not a denier. It is beyond comprehension how or even why a Floridian would deny anthropogenic climate change given all they have to lose.
Are you moving soon?

Old 09-21-2019, 04:03 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Obama bought a mansion on Martha's Vineyard. Al Gore bought a beach front mansion in California. They seem to be denying the science they're telling others is real.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:15 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
The woman highlighted in the article who failed to carry adequate insurance wants to move to Key West. So much for the claimed exodus.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:17 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Quote:
I can't get over the idiocy of the Florida denier. They have the most to lose, especially as the effects of climate change will affect them the earliest.

Florida Deniers: Blinded by a bankrupt ideology called anti-science conservatism.

Al Gore said that the polar ice caps would melt and cause Florida to be underwater by 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies