Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 07:10 PM

18,435 posts, read 8,268,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You might want to read about the climatologists who have refused to join AGW and got their research funding withdrawn.
Is this what you're looking for...Wiki even has a list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...global_warming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:14 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Hard to put it better than this. Time the deniers were treated with the total contempt they richly deserve.
Gonna save that comment.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:14 PM

18,435 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Simple question. What are your credentials? What scientific accolades do you hold? I am sure they are vast. Seriously post your credentials. Either do that or admit you are a liar.
the links are in the article.....numbers 1 - 27 are from this link https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-...ic-predictions

numbers 28 - 41 are all linked separately to their source

Old 09-21-2019, 07:22 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Scientists aren't fortune tellers. If anything, their predictions didn't happen right them but we're seeing them build up.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:26 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Have they ever gotten one right?

Old 09-21-2019, 07:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I sure wish Mother Earth would clean up the air. Going outside in the afternoon would be a joy. but many days, my town has ozone alerts. No outside for em. Perhaps I should get a mask.

Now if the fossil fuel folks would just be willing to pick up the the tab for their pollution, I could afford to move to the mountains.

Back in the early 90s somebody predicted earthquakes on a specific day on that fault south of St Louis. I thought he was nuts. DH's company gave everybody pads so the electronics wouldn't fall off the desks.

I was surprised when my dog went nuts that afternoon. He started body slamming me. We went outside. About 5 minutes later, it happened. Small, but there was a recorded earthquake.

It actually does. Before mankind had the capability to fight forest fires started by lightning, they burned non-stop for years, putting more carbon into the air than the cities of today.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:00 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
Well, between a local weather forecaster and a federal politician, I think that local person tends to have a better and more honest reputation. Man-made and natural climate changes are real but to what degree (see what I did there?) is debatable!

Old 09-22-2019, 03:57 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Deniers do not apparently have the intelligence to check the source of the Breitbart article, the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a far right "think tank" that traffics in false and misleading information, especially, in climate change.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.ph...rise_Institute
The Competitive Institute didn't make the predictions and you know as well as I do that Al Gore's due dates from his documentary have come and gone.

Don't know how old you are but do you remember the very popular book, "The Population Bomb" (overpopulation and the environment) by Paul Ehrlich from the late 1960s talked about into the 1970s? It was all people (and governments) talked about. Countries/governments made scary moves based on it like forced sterilizations and coerced abortions. He's now backing away from his predictions (he was misinterpreted he says and they weren't "really" predictions - it's not his fault he claims that millions underwent forced sterilization or coerced abortions) that he sold all over TV.

Quote:
From the article:

"It is true that in the book Ehrlich exhorted readers to remember that his scenarios “are just possibilities, not predictions.” But it is also true that he slipped into the language of prediction occasionally in the book, and more often in other settings. “Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born,” he promised in a 1969 magazine article. “Sometime in the next 15 years, the end will come,” Ehrlich told CBS News a year later. “And by ‘the end’ I mean an utter breakdown of the capacity of the planet to support humanity.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...ion-180967499/

You might be more apt to believe this "look back" by Smithsonian at how this book impacted some scares and big decisions if I link you to an article from Smithsonian Magazine instead of Breitbart. The article was published in 2018. The author of the book, Ehrlich, was still alive (85 and apparently not dead in "the greatest cataclysm in the history of man that was supposed to occur around 1984 - hmmm) and the Smithsonian writer talked to him.

The Book That Incited a Worldwide Fear of Overpopulation

"‘The Population Bomb’ made dire predictions—and triggered a wave of repression around the world."

Ehrlich and Gore have 4 things in common:

1. They made a lot of money
2. They became celebrities
3. A lot of people believed them.
3. Governments and other institutions around the world took action based on their words and some people suffered or died.

Last edited by LauraC; 09-22-2019 at 04:07 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 04:04 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Nothing that the AGW alarmists have stated has come true. They are batting .000. It is an economic scam. That's all. Wish I had thought of Carbon Credits.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:06 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
If they were made, they were made by crackpots hired by Exxonmobil and the Koch brothers to CYA.

The only two predictions in OP's list that were actually made by climatologists were the two made in the early 70's - almost 50 years ago when climatology was a relatively new field of study. Since then the earth has continued to warm and the climatologists' observations, computer modeling techniques, instrumentation and data derived from satellites has been improved by quantum leaps.

Most of the claims that OP lists were made by everybody except scientists. 99% of them can be traced back to groups like the Heartland Institute (funded by oil interests), or Watts Up With That (a denier website that brims with fake science and quasi science). They take two half truths and twist them together into one big lie.

I attended the University of Colorado in the late 70's and early 80's to get my degrees in environmental science and climatology. I was fortunate because Boulder, Colorado is the town where many prestigious groups of scientists, including physicists, mathematicians, biologists, climatologists and experts have gathered at a number of internationally known research agencies.

The education I received was very rigorous and it was all about the science - not conspiracy theories.

DID SCIENTISTS ACTUALLY MAKE THIS CLAIM?:

1970: Ice Age By 2000 - FALSE

1970: America Subject to Water Rationing By 1974 and Food Rationing By 1980 - FALSE

2008: Arctic will Be Ice Free by 2018 - FALSE

This claim can be traced back to Al Gore - especially in the Palin/Gore debate held in 2009. Gore said that 40 percent of the polar ice cap is already gone. Gore’s claim that all Arctic ice would "go completely" over the next decade is greatly exaggerated. The scientist he is citing was actually talking about nearly ice-free conditions, and only in the summer months. An explanation for the layperson can be found here.

2005 : Manhattan Underwater by 2015 - FALSE

The fake news stories about this one can be traced back to a statement that climatologist James Hansen made in 1988 (not 2005). Hansen made his statement in response to a question by Bob Reiss, a journalist and author who asked him to speculate on what the view outside his office window could look like in 40 years with doubled CO2.

In 1988 the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere was about 352 ppm. A doubling of CO2 would result in an atmosphere of over 700 ppm. Nowhere did Hansen or any other scientist predict that the the CO2 in the atmosphere would double in the 40 years between 1988 and 2015.

Those interested in knowing what Dr. Hansen ACTUALLY said can read the Communication from James Hansen written in 2011.

Impartial readers can see the trend.

As for Prince Charles (the UK Prime Minister, and even Al Gore); anyone who gets their explanations of science and climate change from the British Royal Family is going overboard with British fandom fetishes. I suggest you skip the Prince's pronouncements and show your love of all things British by adopting a Pembroke Corgi just like the ones the queen has. They are wonderful little dogs and they are not in the business of spreading climate lies.
Please read my last post about The Population Bomb book and read the Smithsonian magazine link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies