Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:32 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Feelings don't trump my personal liberty and natural right to preserve my own life. Blame the tyrant, not the defender.
You have a right to defend yourself, but you should do it effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:34 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Friend there could be other people in the house.

What about the kids? ............
Kids are something to be concerned about.
I like to think that if I had been in the house the kids may have temporary hearing loss from being in the same house when a 357 magnum is fired.
But it would only be temporary.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:36 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
As it should be.
That case dealt with the possession of handguns in the home. To be clear, let me state that I am firmly in favor of individual possession of handguns. My favorite is my Ruger Blackhawk .357, but to each his own.

Here's the discussion of the assault weapon ban:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...lt_Weapons_Ban
Ban of 94 was only symbolic it didn't ban anything. I bought a slew of those weapons in that 10 years. Any future ban won't ban anything either.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
As it should be.
That case dealt with the possession of handguns in the home. To be clear, let me state that I am firmly in favor of individual possession of handguns. My favorite is my Ruger Blackhawk .357, but to each his own.

Here's the discussion of the assault weapon ban:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...lt_Weapons_Ban
Your Natural Rights as a Free Person, are not dependent on 9 people in black robes. You are not their property either.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:11 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:

Tell ya what.....

How about you decide what's "effective" for you.....

And everyone else will decide what's "effective" for them?

M'kay Mr. Ninja?

Old 09-22-2019, 11:26 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
The problem you have is that the Assault Rifle Ban (1994 to 2004) was challenged in court and the SCOTUS rejected all arguments. It was found to be legal.
Since the ban was lifted mass shooting have increased to about twice the level of the pre-ban years.

Some of the Columbine guns were purchased in 1998 before the ban and others from from individuals illegally about a year before the shooting.
The magazine fed models should not be for sell anywhere under any circumstances. Just like hand grenades.

There are lots of things the Constitution does not limit. That does not mean they cannot be limited.
Purely false! Mass shootings didn’t go up because they lifted the ban lmao.... just preposterous! They didn’t ban any gun to begin with nor stop the sale of AR15’s during this worthless ban.

Try harder with logical facts!!

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 09-22-2019 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 11:27 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Tell ya what.....

How about you decide what's "effective" for you.....

And everyone else will decide what's "effective" for them?

M'kay Mr. Ninja?
https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs?t=16
https://youtu.be/7YyBtMxZgQs?t=16

Old 09-22-2019, 11:49 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Shooting someone who means to do you harm seems pretty effective to me

Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Purely false! Mass shootings didn’t go up because they lifted the ban lmao.... just preposterous! They didn’t ban any gun to begin with nor stop the sale of AR15’s during this worthless ban.

Try harder with logical facts!!
From 1973 forward, there were 108 mass shootings.
There were 2.71 mass shootings on average during the non ban years and 1.6 mass shootings on average during the ban years.
Since the ban expired, we have had an average of 4.18 mass shootings per year.
It's getting worse.
The way to stop it is to stop selling magazine fed and clip fed semiautomatic weapons to the general public. But forcing people to give up the weapons they now own and have purchased legally is not the way to do it. I don't have the figures, but I would think that mass shootings by long time gun enthusiasts and owners would be extremely rare. Mass shooting are usually (as far as I can see) committed by people who obtained their guns fairly recently.

The hero mom who defended her home fired exactly one shot. There is no mention of what weapon she used.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:14 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed. It's for self protection. The founders would have loved to have them back in the day. But all they had were muskets and cannons.

If you need one of these to protect yourself, you must be a horrible shot. I keep a couple of pistols around, one in my shop and one next to my bed, and if I can't hit someone with one of those, they deserve to nail me.

Even Colt sees the handwriting on the wall and is going to cease selling AR-15 to CIVILIANS :

https://www.voanews.com/economy-busi...fles-civilians

The days of the shootout at the OK coral are over, LHC, time to hang up your six shooters and join a more civilized society. This madness of everyone being armed to the teeth and packing heat no matter where they go is beyond bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies