Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 06:23 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
That's funny stuff, but does not at all disprove my point. In that second video, when Homer's errant golf ball hits the button and activates the trap door, the exec says "that trap door's under renovation--it's not safe." Obviously the button would have been electrically locked out in such a case.

I stand by my trap door idea.
So, you do know that most states have laws against booby traps, right? Let's say you have a trap door and you catch your perp. The perp breaks his leg or neck in the fall. Guess who is getting sued? You will lose and your insurance company won't pay out.

Let's say your promising new cashier wrongly profiles a customer dressed in a hoody and wearing sunglasses, and the guy keeps his hand in his pocket. Cashier activates the trap door and you now have a victim of false imprisonment, kidnapping and a few other violations. You and your cashier are getting sued, after you get out of jail.

Welcome to America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 06:02 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So, you do know that most states have laws against booby traps, right? Let's say you have a trap door and you catch your perp. The perp breaks his leg or neck in the fall. Guess who is getting sued? You will lose and your insurance company won't pay out.

Let's say your promising new cashier wrongly profiles a customer dressed in a hoody and wearing sunglasses, and the guy keeps his hand in his pocket. Cashier activates the trap door and you now have a victim of false imprisonment, kidnapping and a few other violations. You and your cashier are getting sued, after you get out of jail.

Welcome to America.
OK, I admit you make some good points here. But what's more likely to impel a lawsuit--dropping someone into a locked room that is lined with shipping 'peanuts' (to prevent injury), or filling them full of automatic ammunition fire and killing them?

I specifically stated that the room underneath the trap door would have to be lined with shipping peanuts, or the foam balls used at places like Chuck E. Cheese where children can wantonly jump in yet not get hurt.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
I stand by my trap door idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In another thread, you said you would talk them out of crime. So which is it?
You gun nuts believe you need an AR-15, a 9mm, a magnum, and as another poster kept going on about, a '475 Limbaugh.'

I too advocate a full panoply of options for defense, including dialoguing techniques, a loud whistle, electronic security, and trap doors. On the few occasions when I venture to downtown Seattle, I will even take hired, professional armed security with me. It's surprisingly affordable--less than having a closet full of $1000 assault weapons.

There is no need for a gun when you think things through!

Old 09-29-2019, 08:04 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:

In this case, the gun exterminated the problem very efficiently.

And I feel no remorse for the thug robber nor his family.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:06 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
You gun nuts believe you need an AR-15, a 9mm, a magnum, and as another poster kept going on about, a '475 Limbaugh.'

I too advocate a full panoply of options for defense, including dialoguing techniques, a loud whistle, electronic security, and trap doors. On the few occasions when I venture to downtown Seattle, I will even take hired, professional armed security with me. It's surprisingly affordable--less than having a closet full of $1000 assault weapons.

There is no need for armed security if you are armed travesty but you already know that. It's like hiring someone to hump for you. Don't be lazy travesty.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Given this post Travis wrote in another thread, I think he's punking us.

//www.city-data.com/forum/56293732-post24.html

Old 09-29-2019, 09:04 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpowering1 View Post
given this post travis wrote in another thread, i think he's punking us.

looooool!!!

Old 09-29-2019, 09:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
The savings in litigation trial plea bargain and incarceration would have run in the millions instead of a medal he will probably lose his job and spend thousands in attorney fees trying to escape losing his home and maybe the threat of jail time
Oops what am I thinking this did not happen here

Old 09-29-2019, 10:13 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,749,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Given this post Travis wrote in another thread, I think he's punking us.

Yes, he’s overplayed his hand, he was trying to be a poster, but now he’s exposed himself as a total fraud.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:20 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
OK, I admit you make some good points here. But what's more likely to impel a lawsuit--dropping someone into a locked room that is lined with shipping 'peanuts' (to prevent injury), or filling them full of automatic ammunition fire and killing them?

I specifically stated that the room underneath the trap door would have to be lined with shipping peanuts, or the foam balls used at places like Chuck E. Cheese where children can wantonly jump in yet not get hurt.
Sigh you just don't get it.
1. Booby traps are illegal in most states if not all.

2. No one used an automatic weapon.

3. Lawsuits for false imprisonment would absolutely follow after the shop owner got out of prison.

No it's better to shoot the bad guys. It's a win win deal. Society will be better off and the bad guys won't have to strain their brains looking for new victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies