Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:35 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Where’s all this “White Privilege” everyone is talking about. I’m still looking for it. I guess my "white privilege" is to work 6 days a week and long hours to support dead beats.

https://news.yahoo.com/college-stude...090010176.html
IMO the solution is to remove the federal funding/guarantee of student loans. Let the banks set the lending rate market for student loans and you will see debt ceilings be capped to $10k/year per student @ 24.99% APR compounding immediately. We will then see what and how much students are willing to pay for an “education”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 06:36 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
All of this is because the U.S. took so long to acknowledge its history and encouraged watered down versions for years.
We've had our sins thrown up in our faces for fifty years now. Is it not enough?

Old 09-24-2019, 06:37 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is just like a fish saying..."where is all this WATER everyone is talking about? I don't see it". Ergo, there is no distinction in a fish's life know the difference. How do you know what water is when water is all there is?
Pink unicorns would be a better analogy.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:10 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
All of this is because the U.S. took so long to acknowledge its history and encouraged watered down versions for years.
What makes you think Black History courses don’t embellish, and rewrite history more to their liking? For example, I have read accounts that many AA’s claim ancient Egypt as their past, only because Egypt is in Africa.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:27 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Pink unicorns would be a better analogy.

Touche,

You can't know you are in privilege until you are out of it. Without contrast one has no way of noticing their privilege.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:31 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Where’s all this “White Privilege” everyone is talking about. I’m still looking for it. I guess my "white privilege" is to work 6 days a week and long hours to support dead beats.
Oh you poor little... snowflake.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:31 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
What makes you think Black History courses don’t embellish, and rewrite history more to their liking? For example, I have read accounts that many AA’s claim ancient Egypt as their past, only because Egypt is in Africa.

Were these AA that you heard that from teaching a course? There is a difference between what some individual you meet says vs what is approved in the standard course curriculum. I mean....should I go by what some random white person says about blacks on this forum....and then say that is what is being taught?

Old 09-24-2019, 07:35 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
IMO the solution is to remove the federal funding/guarantee of student loans. Let the banks set the lending rate market for student loans and you will see debt ceilings be capped to $10k/year per student @ 24.99% APR compounding immediately. We will then see what and how much students are willing to pay for an “education”.

Why did you put education in quotes?

Old 09-24-2019, 07:39 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
So where in the world do people of African decent have "privilege"? Would the quality of their lives be better anywhere in Africa? Would any prefer to live there..? The bottom line, I suspect, AA's have it better in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world. What about affirmative action? quotas systems?" getting in to top colleges and universities because of your ethnicity, race, gender? Getting hired is significantly easier because diversity in employers has been a priority for about the past 20 years or so. Do you honestly believe being a white male provides any privilege getting into any top school in the U.S.? If anything, it is a major handicap. What about all the television shows? NCIS, Law & Order, the Blacklist, Bluebloods, Hawaii 5-O, etc, etc who do you see? Who are all the bad guys in these shows..?? You notice, they are typically all white guys? Today, political correctness is a priority in everything we see.

Another person who doesn't comprehend the idea of societal privilege, evidently. I'm unsurprised.

Quote:
What about being attractive? You think looking like Sofia Vergara, Melania Trump, Scarlet Johansson, Charlize Theron, would have an advantage over a woman who looks average? Never mind, downright unattractive? Same with extremely attractive men, which also have to be bestowed with the charisma and charm that attracts. I think its also a benefit to be right-handed, we live in a right-handed world. It's clearly a benefit to not be cursed with same sex attraction over opposite sex attraction, virtually every show, every movie, commercial, advertisement, is heterosexist. When a rare instance of a same sex couple shows up, all of a sudden, homosexuality is being "rammed down the throat" of poor straight society that shouldn't be exposed to such things. "Privilege" comes in all forms, if I'm Chinese, and I live in China, I have Chinese privilege. If I'm male, and I have a full head of hair, I have "privilege" over men who are bald. If I'm overweight, someone who is thin, or maintains an ideal weight has "privilege." What about people born into money? Economic privilege often trumps most other "privileges."
All of this has already been addressed if you'd bothered to read the thread...

Old 09-24-2019, 07:44 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
We've had our sins thrown up in our faces for fifty years now. Is it not enough?
It's almost as though for 50 years, some have denied and acted like THEY are the victims, curious, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies