Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 07:47 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times

Advertisements

but if the person was referring to a person of color in a derogatory way it would have carried more weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
MEH -- I would argue that partisan politics makes hypocrites of everyone.'
Lefties, righties all are hypocrites.

Jew down is definitely an inappropriate term for a political figure to use. And defending it is definitely partisan politics on steroids.'

It was inappropriate....end of story

Old 09-23-2019, 07:47 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Democrat Hypocrisy on display and a fine example of ignorance.

The other day my wife and I walked into a Hobby Lobby that had recently opened for business. A friendly guy at the door was asking everyone their zip codes. We joked around with him about giving such information and then on the way out we joked a bit more. He picked up that my wife is Irish and he then told a joke that started "2 Irish guys walked past a pub...." that was the joke, playing on that Irish people like to drink and that 2 Irish guys wouldn't walk past a pub. My wife took it in stride but did point out that the joke was offensive to Irish people. She added that if a black person walked in would he tell a joke to them about fried chicken and watermelon? He said no way I would be fired.

Point is some people can't help themselves when it comes to perpetuating stereotypes for good or bad like with this "jew down" comment. It was inappropriate and the hypocrisy is that if a Republican said it there would be heck to pay. A Democrat can get away with such things. We only need to look to Canada with Trudeau in black face. Are there demands and protests for him to step down? Crazy.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:49 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
.I clearly said it was wrong, inappropriate and wrong for anyone to defend the use of the term.

But you didn't see that......

No where did I say that in my post did I suggest 'move on'. I believe in consequences for inappropriate behavior and clearly have stated that numerous times. I'm not anti-cancel culture....I believe when you do something wrong, inappropriate you suffer the consequences.

And when Republicans choose inappropriate language or behavior I say the same thing - -their actions or words were wrong and they deserve what ever consequence they have.

But let's be clear......Republicans excuse Republicans and Democrats excuse Democrats.

You are assigning thoughts, ideas and words to me that aren't accurate.
Uh, you just said...

Quote:
So after Rachel jumps on your back you change your tune to it was inappropriate and consequences.

She actually did you a favor by calling you out before you could talk about it some more and dig the hole deeper.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
but if the person was referring to a person of color in a derogatory way it would have carried more weight.
I hope not.

But you might be right.

And both parties refuse to deal with politicians who step out of line...be it sexual assault/misconduct or racism to anti-antisemitism......

Old 09-23-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Uh, you just said...

So after Rachel jumps on your back you change your tune to it was inappropriate and consequences.

She actually did you a favor by calling you out before you could talk about it some more and dig the hole deeper.
No this is all just a personal attack...and making up stuff up about what I think or said.

I didn't mention consequences but that doesn't imply or mean that I think we should move on.

Rachel clearly suggested I said 'move on' -- I didn't say that or imply that.

In my original post I clearly was addressing the hypocrisy of one party accusing another party of hypocrisy.

Both parties are deeply hypocritical.....one party is not worse than the other.

My 'end of story' at the end of the post refers to there is no question that this kind of language is wrong....end of story -- you can't excuse it like the politicians did in the article. There is no excuse....end of story.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:23 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So true! Leftists want to outlaw pronouns because saying "he" is offensive, and then defend someone saying "Jew down" as an appropriate phrase to use when describing negotiation,

I think both the Trenton councilwoman and the Paterson councilman should be pressured to step aside.
So untrue! Not all "leftists" are defending the use of that insulting phrase.

I suggest we all take a quick look in the mirror before calling other people hypocrites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You say that because you are a liberal, and liberals downplay and accept outright antisemitism among their elected officials. When they use a horrible antisemitic slur, it's "yeah, it was inappropriate, but let's move on." You know damn well that if a white Republican were to have made some awful slur against blacks during a Council meeting, you wouldn't be saying "end of story." You'd be calling for his head.
Moneill said no such thing, and you know it.

And once again, you're painting all "liberals" with the same brush. Give your knee a rest; you've gotta be tired after all that jerking.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:29 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,797,654 times
Quote:
M
is it even that inappropriate? It simply means that one is good at bargaining a better deal.....

Old 09-23-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
is it even that inappropriate? It simply means that one is good at bargaining a better deal.....
Then say 'good at bargaining'......

It is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong wrong...

Old 09-23-2019, 08:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
It’s inappropriate. Just like calling someone ghetto or using the term uppity.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:38 AM

265 posts, read 259,235 times
Quote:
Pathetic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies