Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 12:19 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times

Advertisements

It's not okay to use that phrase. Just like it's not okay to refer to human beings as "illegals," or to call the Roma people, "gypsies," or Native American women, "squaws." Times have changed and people need to realize that. It's not just a matter of being "PC." It's a matter of respect toward others.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
It's not okay to use that phrase. Just like it's not okay to refer to human beings as "illegals," or to call the Roma people, "gypsies," or Native American women, "squaws." Times have changed and people need to realize that. It's not just a matter of being "PC." It's a matter of respect toward others.
Illegals are illegal.

And if Roma people happen to be gypsies, then they are gypsies.

The end.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:45 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
if you are referring to Kavanaugh it was never proven. only hearsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I hope not.

But you might be right.

And both parties refuse to deal with politicians who step out of line...be it sexual assault/misconduct or racism to anti-antisemitism......

Old 09-23-2019, 12:47 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
oh facts....oh yeah.....Brent Kavanuagh.....Democrats take hearsay as fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Like labeling everything 'Fake News' while supplying nothing factual with their own reporting?

Oh! Wait!

It's not a Democrat behind that movement!

Never mind.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:50 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
oh facts....oh yeah.....Brent Kavanuagh.....Democrats take hearsay as fact.

Is that, like, Brett's younger brother or something?

Old 09-23-2019, 01:35 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Illegals are illegal.

And if Roma people happen to be gypsies, then they are gypsies.

The end.
Roma people consider the word, "gypsy" to be a slur, therefore, I don't use it because I have no desire to show disrespect toward them.
Some acts are illegal. People are not "illegal."

Old 09-23-2019, 01:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
MEH -- I would argue that partisan politics makes hypocrites of everyone.'
Lefties, righties all are hypocrites.

Jew down is definitely an inappropriate term for a political figure to use. And defending it is definitely partisan politics on steroids.'

It was inappropriate....end of story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You say that because you are a liberal, and liberals downplay and accept outright antisemitism among their elected officials. When they use a horrible antisemitic slur, it's "yeah, it was inappropriate, but let's move on." You know damn well that if a white Republican were to have made some awful slur against blacks during a Council meeting, you wouldn't be saying "end of story." You'd be calling for his head.
C’mon... you seem like you are trying to pick a fight with the poster! The poster said it was “inappropriate....end of story.” I took that to mean that he/she was saying there was no excuse for it. He/she even said defending it is wrong and partisan. I think we view comments based on our own lens’. I didn’t view it as the poster saying “let’s move on.”

Old 09-23-2019, 01:56 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That's okay, Nj dems have immunity from spontaneous social justice courts and the media.

As if it never happened. Nothing to see here in NJ.
Hymietown ? - "Reverend" Jesse Jackson

Old 09-23-2019, 02:39 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Sadly that is a colloquialism that many/most don't take the time to consider the bigoted origins/aspects of.

I've certainly heard people use it, people whom I am certain don't view Jewish folks as "less than".

By calling it out when it happens, we can hopefully get rid of its usage.
Speaking of colloquialisms. I remember a common colloquialism from the 80s. It was “N-word Rich”.

It basically meant, someone with limited means, spending the little money they had, recklessly on extravagant things to make themselves appear like they had money.

To me, that seems about equal to the colloquialism “Jew them down.” They seem equally bigoted and offensive to me.

But I am wondering what liberals think about that. Are those two colloquialisms equal? Or is one worse than the other?

Old 09-23-2019, 02:41 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Respect toward illegals?

It’s kind of like showing respect toward someone robbing your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies