Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 03:14 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Nothing wrong with how you voted... your choice.

I don't worry about left or right wings in particular... just good policy that gives people (not any race in particular) a chance to succeed on their own with as little government interference as reasonably possible. I don't care if it's from the left or right.

Currently, I believe the better policies are on the right - especially with regards to economics and freedom.

I understand that we have had a longer road to travel - but we are making progress. I don't think it's good to compare us to whites because our starting positions in the country aren't the same, and of course the past issues. It just is what it is. But we can make the most of the opportunity of being in the country today.

I do think black folk have been better off economically with Trump (who to me is more 3rd party than right wing) - and the numbers back it up. Wages are at record highs and unemployment are at record lows.
Nothing that I've seen how shown me that Blacks are better off economically under Trump. In fact, Blacks were the only group to watch their unemployment rates see a spike between 2018 and 2019. I don't see how the right wing has any better solutions. I know jobs are needed. However, this is what I've also noticed. During an economic rise, Blacks are the last to benefit from it.

This is what I've learned from little government intervention in terms of economics. Companies will do whatever they want. If said company wants to discriminate based on race, it will happen. "Economic freedom" doesn't address job discrimination issues. Wages might be relatively high, and the unemployment rates are low, but here is the thing. Unemployment rates have been dropping since 2012. And this doesn't take into account that the workforce participation rate has dropped continuously since the mid 2000s. And I'll segue into something else.

I know that the starting position for Blacks in this country isn't the same. The things we have to deal with, even today, isn't the same. This is why I don't see Trump as the answer. All he can do is talk down on Black people. The right wing doesn't really have answers either. Blacks are the last to benefit, and the first to be hurt. We're in last place no matter who is in office. And we're the most looked down on of any group in this country.

And there are other issues that Black Americans have to deal with, not just economic. I brought up the voter suppression issues in Georgia. That isn't going to make more Blacks want to vote GOP these days. I could go on, but I figured maybe you chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 03:15 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So why isn't she addressing the black community, and is instead, playing into white prejudices, for a reactionary white audience? That isn't the way to win friends and influence people.

You can be black and conservative, but not run down your own people for the benefit of others. Big difference between someone like Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice, Tim Scott, and someone like Owens.
You chose not to deal with the content of what she said.

You go back to the audience...

Here you go. I haven't watched it.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:18 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Candace Owens makes me proud to be a woman and a conservative.
Some of the most exciting and inspiring people these days are young black conservatives.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:32 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Nothing that I've seen how shown me that Blacks are better off economically under Trump. In fact, Blacks were the only group to watch their unemployment rates see a spike between 2018 and 2019. I don't see how the right wing has any better solutions. I know jobs are needed. However, this is what I've also noticed. During an economic rise, Blacks are the last to benefit from it.

This is what I've learned from little government intervention in terms of economics. Companies will do whatever they want. If said company wants to discriminate based on race, it will happen. "Economic freedom" doesn't address job discrimination issues. Wages might be relatively high, and the unemployment rates are low, but here is the thing. Unemployment rates have been dropping since 2012. And this doesn't take into account that the workforce participation rate has dropped continuously since the mid 2000s. And I'll segue into something else.

I know that the starting position for Blacks in this country isn't the same. The things we have to deal with, even today, isn't the same. This is why I don't see Trump as the answer. All he can do is talk down on Black people. The right wing doesn't really have answers either. Blacks are the last to benefit, and the first to be hurt. We're in last place no matter who is in office. And we're the most looked down on of any group in this country.

And there are other issues that Black Americans have to deal with, not just economic. I brought up the voter suppression issues in Georgia. That isn't going to make more Blacks want to vote GOP these days. I could go on, but I figured maybe you chime in.
Black unemployment falls to lowest level on record

Black unemployment fell to 6.8 percent in December, the lowest ever recorded by the U.S. Labor Department since it began tracking the black unemployment rate in 1972.

That was January 2018.

The video below was a couple of weeks ago. Black unemployment now down to 5.5%

Trump is NOT the answer. Biden is not the answer. Harris is not the answer. You are the answer. I am the answer. We need people in office to turn us loose and open up opportunities to advance. Trump has done that. Is it perfect? No. But it's better.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:37 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So why isn't she addressing the black community, and is instead, playing into white prejudices, for a reactionary white audience? That isn't the way to win friends and influence people.

You can be black and conservative, but not run down your own people for the benefit of others. Big difference between someone like Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice, Tim Scott, and someone like Owens.
Thank you!! That is the point. I have more respect for Rice, Carson, and Scott than I do for Owen. This is not about being Black and conservative. This is about being a shill. Candace Owen is basically a shill. Stacey Dash is even worse. I'll talk about her later. Owen might have some conservative views. She might have some things to say that many Blacks need to hear. However, she isn't doing it for the Black population. She's being very critical of Black people to please her audience. She does FOX News' dirty work. She isn't there to attract a larger Black audience. Many know that alot of Blacks won't watch her. That's kind of the point.

If she is concerned that Blacks are somehow being taken advantage of politically, then she needs to go talk to Black people herself. It's known that Blacks are barely 2 percent of the FOX News audience.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
She became politically active because it paid better than what she was doing. ...
Candice Owens will have another "Awakening" when the money dries up and she needs to find another lane to survive.
Prove it. You make the claim, but offer ZERO evidence. You could say the same for any political activist who made bank from activism, whether MLK Jr. & family, Jesse Jackson, or Barack Obama who now has multi-million $$ mansions in Chicago, DC, and the Hamptons.

To say things like this about people on either side is just magical (and lazy) thinking. You imagine a motive in your mind and conclude it to be true because they happen to be on the other side politically.

Prove it, or retract it.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:28 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Thank you!! That is the point. I have more respect for Rice, Carson, and Scott than I do for Owen. This is not about being Black and conservative. This is about being a shill. Candace Owen is basically a shill....
You and numerous posters make one of the two fundamental errors of political punditry, namely to assume motive without proof, and go on to build a narrative based on your assumption.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l-pundits.html

Quote:
2. Making assumptions about motives.

This also is ubiquitous, and you can see it often in CD posts. People so often seem to think that they have a psychic power to read minds and divine motives over the internet. There's a great quote from former PBS pundit Paul Gigot that he made on his final PBS show. I used to have a link but it now comes up 'retired page.' But I still have the quote:
Quote:
Most of all, thanks to you, our viewers, for allowing us to share your time. The fact that many of you surely disagreed with some, or even all, of what we said makes us all the more grateful that you have been willing to hear us out. Too much of our political debate these days is accusatory and shrill, and we've tried on this program to engage in a debate over ideas, rather than about motives.
You ascribe a motive to Candace Owens with zero evidence. That is why you have to descend into name-calling ('shill') instead of supplying quotes from her and showing where she is off base.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:11 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Candace Owens makes me proud to be a woman and a conservative.
Some of the most exciting and inspiring people these days are young black conservatives.

The only reason you find them inspiring is because they are black. If they were white and saying what they say and doing what they do.....it would be a penny for a dozen like her. Many white conservatives are impressed by black conservatives ONLY because they are "black and conservative"

Old 09-27-2019, 06:22 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Black unemployment falls to lowest level on record

Black unemployment fell to 6.8 percent in December, the lowest ever recorded by the U.S. Labor Department since it began tracking the black unemployment rate in 1972.

That was January 2018.

The video below was a couple of weeks ago. Black unemployment now down to 5.5%

Trump is NOT the answer. Biden is not the answer. Harris is not the answer. You are the answer. I am the answer. We need people in office to turn us loose and open up opportunities to advance. Trump has done that. Is it perfect? No. But it's better.

I think there is a Trump impact on the economy that is positive. Its not, however, because of his economic policies, however. I think Trump restores confidence in white males in particular and whites in general. People often don't realize how much confidence plays in economics. Confident people take more risks, invest more....spend more. Whites have, by far, the greatest influence on the economy from their collective investment and spending. They were less confident under Obama and hence more cautious and thrift, despite pedal to the metal on economic stimulus (low interest rates, government spending, etc).

I think whites are less confident in "others" running the country. It's seen as a "change" for the worse and a threat to traditions. These feeling manifest mostly in people over 40. This is also the demographic with the most purchasing power and wealth. Young people might think differently, to some degree, but they don't have a lot of money to influence how things go.

The Trump effect on the economy is NOT the result of being a republican and enacting republican policies. Sure, he gave a tax cut and that is Republican like......but they are supposed to be the party of "small government" and fiscal responsibility. The deficit and the debt has increased tremendously under Trump. The size of government has GROWN. That is not being a "Republican/Conservative". The Trump impact is due to his being "white" and sending out signals that inspires confidence in white males.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-27-2019 at 06:46 AM..

Old 09-27-2019, 06:25 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
So please educate us on how the Republicans have addressed these same issues.

Opinion:

Oh so now it's a Republican problem?
Democrats have controlled the House 70 of the last 100 years.
The president has worked diligently and successfully continues to to increase employment among minority groups.
The rest is up to the Fathers to return back to the home of the offspring they have fathered and rear them appropriately
by teachings, education, moral conduct and finalization of assimilation into society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies