Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,655,899 times

Advertisements

This is obviously part of the evil WAR ON CHRISTMAS (c)O'Reilly
:rolleyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
NEW YORK - A passenger who left his seat to pray in the back of a plane before it took off, ignoring flight attendants' orders to return, was removed by an airport security guard, a witness and the airline said.

Praying passenger removed from S.F.-bound flight at JFK - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Was this unreasonable?
Sounds like the person got kicked off because he did not follow orders to sit down when instructed to for safety reasons. I don't think it had anything to do with his wanting to pray specifically. Having him kicked off the plane was not unreasonable.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Uh.. wtf kind of question is that? My mother prays when she gets in the car so God will keep her, and everyone else in the car from harm. A lot of people do this. It's preposterous why this would have happened in the first place. I bet anyone if he was wearing professional businessman clothes this wouldn't of happened. If I were this guy I would sue the crap out of the airlines for infringing on his right to freedom of speech.
I pray too before take-off when I fly but while I'm quietly, buckled in my seat. God never calls us to defy orders from airline personnel and hold up flights just so we can pray. God is everywhere so a Christian can pray in his seat and petition God for safety.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
This is obviously part of the evil WAR ON CHRISTMAS (c)O'Reilly
:rolleyes

Old 12-17-2008, 12:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
you could be right but
i pray on flights every time never been removed. of course i am not sweating like crazy wearing a towel on my head and on the floor of the isle shouting allah allah.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Sounds like the person got kicked off because he did not follow orders to sit down when instructed to for safety reasons. I don't think it had anything to do with his wanting to pray specifically. Having him kicked off the plane was not unreasonable.
He should've had the common sense to follow air safety instructions first, and offer up his prayers afterward. But having him removed from the plane was just a tiny bit excessive.

Then again, excessive seems to be the pattern these days. Did you see that other thread going over the incident of the Florida schoolboy who was arrested for, apparently, farting in the classroom? OK, it seems he was carrying things to an unusual extreme. And the teacher didn't know what to do in what was obviously not the kind of situation they tell you about in college. But calling the police? And when they arrived, the only thing they could think to do was arrest him? (You can tell I'm not qualified to run a school, because I would've just had him taken out of the classroom).

Old 12-17-2008, 07:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you could be right but
i pray on flights every time never been removed. of course i am not sweating like crazy wearing a towel on my head and on the floor of the isle shouting allah allah.
I pray that the fares will someday be reduced and I can return to Maui.

Amen.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:06 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I pray that the fares will someday be reduced and I can return to Maui.

Amen.
I pray that the guy that needs 2 seats to park his rear doesn't sit next to me.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 AM

15 posts, read 18,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Uh, well, I can't promise that none of that's going on.
I'll have a look round, see whats going on.....
youre not a moderator, are you?
you sound kind of responsible...

Old 12-18-2008, 10:22 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeart View Post
youre not a moderator, are you?
you sound kind of responsible...
Surely you jest. Nah, the moderators' usernames are bolded.

Last edited by buildings_and_bridges; 12-18-2008 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies