Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 02:06 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
“ Poverty Tourists”. Think you nailed those identifying as “ travelers”. For most of August, Edinburgh transforms into the Festival Fringe. Might be the largest temporary gathering of “ poverty tourists” on the planet.

Did you notice the guy with cute ( albeit filthy) stuffed animal heads sewn on his pants? Could probably sell similar attire for $300+ in a trendy shop in the Haight.
LOL reminds me of the Burners here. The Burning Man Festival people. Only, all sorts go to that, even rich celebrities have gone to experience it. But I feel like the "traveler" kids who are basically poverty tourists, that's the vibe they are looking for. A barter system, lots of expression, trying to live life outside of the mainstream, somehow. They'd probably be pretty happy setting up a compound in the woods somewhere, but no matter where you go, somebody owns the land. And even if you had some wealthy contributors in your weirdo group to buy some land, if there's anyone anywhere near enough to find out about it, the "neighbors" will have hissyfits over a bunch of oddball hippies living up in the hills somewhere, up to who-knows-what.

I find it funny that some folks talk about how the government should create planned communities for the homeless, with tiny houses and rules to follow and work to be done... It's like if the hippies wanted to do this for themselves, there would be horrified screeching to the heavens, but if some authoritative entity were to FORCE them to live a certain way, grow food, be productive...well that would be fine. Just so long as they feel a proper boot on their necks, it's all good. Ironically some of the same folks who love to spout the word, "freedom" are truly most comfortable with the highest possible levels of authority, conformity, and control.

Meh. Well, we've got issues with homelessness here in Colorado since we legalized weed. We got a bunch of people wandered in here with no plan other than "I just really love to get high, there are like...jobs in the...weed industry...right?" Surprise, surprise, when growers expect somebody to have I dunno...experience with agriculture? When just loving to be high, doesn't actually cut it or get them work? When we don't all invite them to crash on our couches? They're all over the place with cardboard signs now. Personally, I like the street performers, but I don't like the cardboard sign people. They could at least get a bucket and bang on it or something, I don't care. Play the freaking spoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 04:39 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Dude.

The Federal Court told ALL cities that they can't ban people from camping out on the streets, for the most part. That applies to ALL cities!!

Cities can’t criminalize homelessness, federal court affirms

Now, they can arrest people for shooting up drugs but most aren't dumb enough to do it in front of people, even if a small portion do.
San Francisco is a little different. I've come out of BART Civic Center and stepped of a passed out junkie with needles lying around. Three hours later same junkie still passed out 10 feet from BART. You can walk down Market a block from Twitter and there's drug deals going down middle of the morning rush hour on the corner of Market and 9th/Hayes/Larkin. Pretty unreal. You've got Bill Graham auditorium, Fox Plaza (upscale high-rise off building), Twitter HQs, Dolby Labs, open air drag market, and the BART entrance that got so out of control with drug deals and aggressive panhandling they put a cement cap over it to permanently close it all in a two block stretch of Market Street. I've had a crackhead just walk up and light up a foot away from me inside a coffee shop full of lawyers in suits outside the McCallister courthouse as I'm putting some cream in my coffee. Lots of more normal homeless like the Haight Street wannabe hippies that think they're entitled to $20 from everyone because the world owes them a six pack and a blunt. They're not really hurting anyone and part of the streetscape of somewhere like The Haight

Old 09-24-2019, 05:21 PM

8,205 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'd look for a job so I wouldn't be homeless....
And if no employer offered you a job, you'd still eventually become homeless. You cannot take a job if a job isn't offered to you.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Well, they mainly moved into nearby cities like Chico and Oroville. As for their living arrangements, they ran the gamut from living in their vehicles to FEMA camps to tents. Don't know about their pooping habits

I'm sure there are a lot of drifters who drift into town, as well as the usual druggies and crazies. But in the Bay Area it's hard to find a studio for under like 1700 a month, so people on the edge have trouble making rent. And once they're on the streets, it's hard getting off.
I don’t understand why those on the edge don’t migrate somewhere else before they are on the streets.

I mean we see thousands walking from Central America, through the Mexico desert, risking their lives, with the intention of claiming asylum once they reach the US. Get a caravan together and head to Arkansas or somewhere else with a substantially lower cost of living.

Carry signs “ Migrating for Jesus” or something.

Media would be all over it and the “ do gooders “ would turn out with food and more.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:50 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
And if no employer offered you a job, you'd still eventually become homeless. You cannot take a job if a job isn't offered to you.
Or not. My last employer was in 2012. No trust funds, mommy's basement, or welfare bennies and I graduated in 2007 and didn't start a tech startup either. Make your own job.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:47 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don’t understand why those on the edge don’t migrate somewhere else before they are on the streets.

I mean we see thousands walking from Central America, through the Mexico desert, risking their lives, with the intention of claiming asylum once they reach the US. Get a caravan together and head to Arkansas or somewhere else with a substantially lower cost of living.

Carry signs “ Migrating for Jesus” or something.

Media would be all over it and the “ do gooders “ would turn out with food and more.
I don't think these people are usually the sharpest tools in the shed, and also many have mental or drug/alcohol problems. I've heard stories where some will stay with friends couchsurfing for a while but eventually they don't have anywhere to stay. I agree most people would be able to avoid ending out homeless, but these people aren't the most skilled members of society. Keep in mind that despite all the hype, fewer than one percent of the population of Los Angeles county is homeless.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not anymore. Just like any other US citizen who decides to move to your state, once they do they are your state’s resident to take care of, just like they are your asset to tax. They are no longer whatever state they came from homeless, they are yours. Nice try, though.

Now, if you want to discuss non-citizens that is a different story.
Well actually what they do in the Florida Keys is pay for a a bus ticket back to you home location and they have you sign a waiver that of you come back you forfeit all public assistance. Other areas of the country have also used this tactic.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:17 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Isn't it strange that the enviromentalists get so upset over plastic straws yet ignore the raw sewage running into the oceans from all the vagrants peeing and pooping inland? Wait till the rainy season and the pollution will get even worse with the runoff

Old 09-24-2019, 10:20 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Isn't it strange that the enviromentalists get so upset over plastic straws yet ignore the raw sewage running into the oceans from all the vagrants peeing and pooping inland? Wait till the rainy season and the pollution will get even worse with the runoff
Where do you get that democrats are ignoring the situation? In fact if you are paying attention the local governments have been stymied by the courts. That might not fit your agenda but is indeed a fact.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:24 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Lame excuse for being homeless. Crapping on your streets with dirty needles and urine is suppose to be “having fun?”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies