Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 02:24 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When the richest people in the nation live in CA, of course there is income inequality. A poor person in CA is someone making $50k. That's because the richest people are easily north of $1 billion. And btw, many many rich conservatives choose to live in CA. They can live in red states, but they are here. Including Michael Savage, he lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Texas does NOT attract a ton of CA business. They got a few leftovers and are apparently over the moon.

Meanwhile, the hottest IPOs this year are all from CA.

California is a big state with loads of different little economies. One is not necessarily poor if they make less than $50K. There are plenty of locations where you can live comfortably on much less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:28 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You've always had runaways or people that can't cope with life situations so they run away from them. Actually your posting this then just proves the point that there is no reason to continue to support these people as they are able body Americans who could and should work to support themselves!
American jobs are so so - for what I know to do need maybe some credit - a past history of doing what I do. Drug test and criminal background, a phone and a residence, Dr. licence and gotta be beat the other 309 applicants. Oh that was just my part time Home Depot job ! Let’s not even try my regular job. Folks on the streets for what ever reason just don’t have it together. I can’t phantom asking for money - I don’t even like collecting $5 for a coffee fund in the office, so I don’t get it. There is however medical n other issues why folks end up in the streets and 99% starts with something done or not done at home. God blesses me if I have mercy on others and give a hand - some food or a old blanket. Stay humble - It can happen to you!

Old 09-27-2019, 08:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Yes, blue states get stuck with red states' problems. That is nothing new.

My point of sending these homeless back to their home state still stand. It is perfectly legal to give them a one-way ticket and say Don't ever come back. In fact, many cities are already doing it.

You can't send them back and no, it's not legal to force them to move anywhere. What you are suggesting is unconstitutional. Some cities try to reunite homeless people with their friends and relatives if they can find someone who will take them in then they pay for transportation.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:37 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I have no idea why someone would move to a place with a high cost of living. If I know I cannot afford life in a low cost of living place I definitely wouldn't go somewhere that costs more.
I don't know for anyone else but for me there is no other alternative. I can't live in my state anymore. People have suggested other states to me but I wouldn't be able to handle them either.

Quote:
if you're homeless, why wouldn't you come here? When a person has nothing and nothing to tie that person to a place; why wouldn't that person just pack up and go to the best place in the nation? This is exactly what the theory of "Efficient Market" tells us would happen - when all things are equal, people will opt for the best.
I'm not even homeless and I'm planning to go there. I may technically have something but a lot of it is nothing good. It's mentally and physically a prison to live here. I've vacationed in San Diego and within one week I not only fell in love I felt healthier. I can't even explain the difference except it was like night and day. Now with climate change it is even worse to be here. I have migraines that make me suicidal and all kinds of other things. I may be get 3 months out of the year where I feel kinda okay physically. That's no way to live and really some if not all of those 3 months might make me sick anyway from the stress of knowing I'm going to have problems with my body again. It's a weird cycle. I have reached the last straw when I went to the hospital a few months ago. It was reiterated how important it was to leave when I felt that last lightning storm in my head.
Of course I do worry because I can't even get a good job here but that's here..maybe there's something for me in CA. I don't know. I know I don't seem to be desirable to employers but life is short. I shouldn't be stuck in a place that is kicking my a** and depressing me so much just because I'm afraid of not having enough money especially when I'm already poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or not. My last employer was in 2012. No trust funds, mommy's basement, or welfare bennies and I graduated in 2007 and didn't start a tech startup either. Make your own job.

Can you tell me how? I'm not the type to be able to own my own business. I might be creative but I wouldn't call myself an innovator.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:05 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
This is what right-wing media like Fox News don't want people to know, and what me living in this city on a regular basis - many of the homeless are those escaping their hometowns somewhere in Middle America and being free (or so they say) in San Francisco. Many of them prefers to be homeless, and maybe proud of it. They travel around the country by train and they loves panhanding on the streets of big cities - New Orleans, Denver, Los Angeles, etc. They go where it's fun and San Francisco is one such places.

The point is - homelessness is a complicated issue that is MUCH MORE than just, "Hey them liberals don't take care of their cities." There are certainly people who are living here and lost their houses, but there are also people who come here just to sleep on the streets.

Three homeless - two from Illinois and one from Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJI1B61tbic

Meet the infamous homeless Haight Street Kids. People in this video are from Texas, South Carolina, Michigan, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIHa8QyU2Ok

More on the Haight Street Kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSolKeAWO5s

Article on the SF's Haight Street homeless.

https://hoodline.com/2015/03/getting...ht-street-kids

This woman is from Florida and found herself living on the streets in Los Angeles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyAKUEmzMPk

She moved to LA for school and said she prefers to be homeless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWxVwTVU15Q

Did you actually watch the videos? The able bodied, no load people in them mostly stated they come to California (and the Bay area in particular) becuase they of the type of general attitude in those cities, welcoming the bum lifestyle.

Birds of a feather, flocking together.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
LOL. If you think CA is the only place in the country with easy access to drugs; you seriously need to get out of your cave more.

People like you often don't understand that when a person is homeless, weather and safety is EVERYTHING. They are outside 24/7, so nice weather is a matter of life and death. Safety is equally important for the obvious reason. These are two things that CA has in abundance and can't be found in equal capacity in other states.

Then you throw in the high number of rich people (good for panhanding), the tastier food (even if it is from the trash), and the vibrant culture; if you're homeless, why wouldn't you come here? When a person has nothing and nothing to tie that person to a place; why wouldn't that person just pack up and go to the best place in the nation? This is exactly what the theory of "Efficient Market" tells us would happen - when all things are equal, people will opt for the best.

Most homeless people stay where they were when they became homeless, most studies confirm that. Why? Probably because they know where things are, they know which parts of town are safe for them and which aren't and some are mentally ill or disabled and incapable of traveling without help. When I lived in Reno almost every year one or more homeless people would freeze to death on the banks of the Truckee River - why would that happen if it's as easy as you seem to be claiming it is to move to a warmer, more generous place?

Old 09-28-2019, 09:20 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I've known for a long time that a significant percentage of these homeless people are from other states. It's really not hard at all to figure out. These are the kids that have been broken, raped, molested, beaten, neglected now hooked on drugs and think California is a paradise. They come out here and can't make it. We should send them all back to their red states and let you all handle the mess you've created by not handling your ****.
Ridiculous assessment. The hard cold truth is, liberal policies and maniacal liberal logic creates an incentive for these people to come to such sanctuaries for the lazy and disenfranchised ..... individuals who are simply unwilling to take responsibility for their own lives, or participate in normal society (which includes working and caring for yourself and meeting your own basic needs). They flock to these areas where they can do as they please, smoke pot, snort coke, drink liquor all day and sleep on sidewalks, set up tents outside the doors of businesses, and use public areas as their toilets, because that’s the easy choice for those who just don’t want to be burdened with adult responsibilities.

Problem is, if everyone adopted their selfish abandonment of personal responsibility, there would be no buildings or businesses to set up tents in front of .... no sidewalks to sleep on, and no alleys or parks to poop and pee on, because these things are built and constructed by people who behave responsibly ... who DO WORK and take care of themselves. These things aren’t created and built by squirrels and birds, or magically appear out of thin air.

And the issue is so glaringly obvious, only liberals fail to see their own culpability for mess they themselves create and facilitate because of their twisted way of thinking. Here in Austin, 20 years ago, it was one of the best cities in the country for quality of life, but is rapidly devolving into another west coast nightmare, as so many California liberals have fled to Austin from the mess they created in California, only to immediately proceed to recreate the mess here.

Unfortunately, human nature is such, that if you create such an environment, there will be no shortage of those who will willingly join the club of lazy .... and have no problem feeding off the labor of others. If all employers were to tell their employees “guys, you don’t need to work anymore. We’re going to direct deposit your paycheck into your account, and you don’t even have to come to work”. How many people would show up at their jobs tomorrow?

This is clearly a liberal, not conservative creation. It’s the liberal mindset that abhors the very idea of personal responsibility, because to the liberal, it’s always someone else’s fault for the disasters that simply follow them wherever they go.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:54 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
American jobs are so so - for what I know to do need maybe some credit - a past history of doing what I do. Drug test and criminal background, a phone and a residence, Dr. licence and gotta be beat the other 309 applicants. Oh that was just my part time Home Depot job ! Let’s not even try my regular job. Folks on the streets for what ever reason just don’t have it together. I can’t phantom asking for money - I don’t even like collecting $5 for a coffee fund in the office, so I don’t get it. There is however medical n other issues why folks end up in the streets and 99% starts with something done or not done at home. God blesses me if I have mercy on others and give a hand - some food or a old blanket. Stay humble - It can happen to you!
I agree with you to an extent .... bad things can happen to good people, and hard times can fall upon anyone, as unfortunate events do sometimes occur. And there are times when someone may find themselves in metaphorical “quicksand” to which any struggle to free themselves on their own only results in falling deeper. These are times when help is required, and as a civil society, we should all exhibit the compassion to provide that helping hand. But there has to be limits, else you create the environment for those who will surely take advantage of others generosity, as if they are entitled to an endless free ride.

I remember about 15 years ago, I was downtown installing an ATM machine outside in the Texas heat, 105, sweating my you know what off .... a guy comes up to me and asks for $5. He said he needed it for his “Prescription Medication”. I looked at him, and I said, tell ya what, if you can give me a good reason why I should take this five dollars I’m earning by sweating to death in this heat, working my arse off, and hand it to you for doing nothing ... I’ll give $20? He turned and walked away without saying a word.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:27 AM

I think most of us fully recognize that some homeless people could work, but now isn't the time to worry about that. We need to do something about the growing number of people sleeping on the sidewalk, we don't have time for finger wagging which doesn't change a damn thing anyway. We need to provide shelter that is clean, safe and secure. When we do that a homeless person who refuses to utilize the shelter can be arrested. That will almost immediately send all the tweaks and heroin addicts and a number of the alcoholics packing because they don't want to stay in a shelter, they like the freedom and the sub-culture that has developed on the streets. Of those who remain, the elderly, disabled, mentally ill and truly economically homeless can be transitioned from shelters to assisted living or subsidized housing depending on their needs.

And maybe it's time we look at managing the homeless through harm reduction like the 'wet houses' have in Portland; rooms in an old hotel are provided to homeless alcoholics so that they can imbibe and pass out on a bed rather than the sidewalk. The Wet House: Homeless People with Alcoholism Drink Less When Booze Is Allowed | TIME.com

Old 10-03-2019, 03:27 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most homeless people stay where they were when they became homeless, most studies confirm that. Why? Probably because they know where things are, they know which parts of town are safe for them and which aren't and some are mentally ill or disabled and incapable of traveling without help. When I lived in Reno almost every year one or more homeless people would freeze to death on the banks of the Truckee River - why would that happen if it's as easy as you seem to be claiming it is to move to a warmer, more generous place?

You've never stop to think, "With so many homeless, why just one or two freezes to death each year?? Where did the rest of them go?" ??????????

Dude, of course people tend to stay where they become homeless.... initially. But do you really believe they will just stay there until they die and not try to move if the environment proves difficult??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies